Options
2»

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    "cgvet37 wrote: »
    "Fifteen sets of hard lifting? I would love to see anyone do 15 sets of at least 80% of their 1RM in any of the three major lifts

Depends on your program. One intermediate program I was doing had density blocks for midweek upper body work. It was a brutal 90% 5RM of press/bench for 1-3 reps every thirty seconds for ten minutes. On a really good run 15-18 sets were possible.

Volume day for squats was four set x 6 reps at 85% 3RM, similar for bench/press, and three sets of rows.

Intensity day was 1x3 for new PRs, and 3x3 backoffs for squat and bench/press, with new PRs for deadlifts weekly.

Older lifters tend to require intensity but get less out of high volume.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    sal10851 wrote: »
    For first time weight lifters the resistance bands and tubes are your best bet. Once you know for sure that it's something you are willing to invest in then go for it. Weight lifting for weight loss is not a good idea if you don't incorporate a solid cardio routine. Doing cardio exercises the most important muscle of the body while burning way more calories. I don't mind strength training but weight lifting is overrated.

This is wrong. Weight lifting is the best defense against aging that there is. Weight training exercises your heart plenty. Ever done 5x5 back squats at 80% of your 1RM? Weight training builds muscle and strengthens bone and a hard workout burns a ton of calories (15 sets of hard lifting will burn around 500 calories per session).

I'm a cyclist and a powerlifter. If forced to give up one, it would absolutely be cycling because it offers way fewer health benefits.

Fifteen sets of hard lifting? I would love to see anyone do 15 sets of at least 80% of their 1RM in any of the three major lifts

15 sets at what expenditure or average intensity?
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If you want to do weightlifting, then do weightlifting. Body weight fitness is great for fitness and mobility, but it isn't weightlifting. If you want to lift weights, you need a squat or power rack, a barbell, and weights at a minimum. If you want to bench press, you need a bench too. Expect to spend at least $500-$1000 to get started. I have no idea what your budget is, but you really get what you pay for when it comes to strength training equipment.

The only way you can build a proper home gym for that much is buying used, or buying cheap. Rack, bench, barbell, and weights.

You can buy new quality equipment for about a grand. Rogue Ohio power bar (250). Reality fitness 810xlt rack (250). Off brand plates for about 250 to start out. Adjustable bench from Rep Fitness is a tad under 300. If you don't need the bench that's way under 1000. People starting out don't need a ton of quality plates. Plates are the easiest things to upgrade and you can buy a few at a time as you need them.

The big problem right now is everything is sold out because everyone Is building a home gym.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    sal10851 wrote: »
    For first time weight lifters the resistance bands and tubes are your best bet. Once you know for sure that it's something you are willing to invest in then go for it. Weight lifting for weight loss is not a good idea if you don't incorporate a solid cardio routine. Doing cardio exercises the most important muscle of the body while burning way more calories. I don't mind strength training but weight lifting is overrated.

This is wrong. Weight lifting is the best defense against aging that there is. Weight training exercises your heart plenty. Ever done 5x5 back squats at 80% of your 1RM? Weight training builds muscle and strengthens bone and a hard workout burns a ton of calories (15 sets of hard lifting will burn around 500 calories per session).

I'm a cyclist and a powerlifter. If forced to give up one, it would absolutely be cycling because it offers way fewer health benefits.

Fifteen sets of hard lifting? I would love to see anyone do 15 sets of at least 80% of their 1RM in any of the three major lifts

I never said 15 sets at 80%. I said 15 sets of hard lifting. Hard is relative
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you want to do weightlifting, then do weightlifting. Body weight fitness is great for fitness and mobility, but it isn't weightlifting. If you want to lift weights, you need a squat or power rack, a barbell, and weights at a minimum. If you want to bench press, you need a bench too. Expect to spend at least $500-$1000 to get started. I have no idea what your budget is, but you really get what you pay for when it comes to strength training equipment.

The only way you can build a proper home gym for that much is buying used, or buying cheap. Rack, bench, barbell, and weights.

You can buy used and cheap and still get high quality gym equipment. Right now, used prices are inflated, so be patient and be ready to drive a decent distance to pick stuff up.

Not only did I build myself a commercial gym in my basement buying used (my rogue rack was new and not commercial and I have powerblocks, but everything else is commercial), my husband also turned it into a mini business. We assemble and fix strength equipment and sell used equipment. Over 2 years my home gym cost -$35000 to build. It might have been the bust idea my husband ever had! 😜