Balancing Lifting and Cardio

Options
I really want to start lifting weights, but I only have an hour a day during the week that I can dedicate to the gym (I work full time, plus go to school full time, so I use the hour between work and school to go to the gym.) I use that hour to do cardio (elliptical, rowing, treadmill, spin, etc.) I love love love cardio and I know it's greatly helped my weight loss, but I'd really like to tone up. How do you guys suggest splitting my time? Should I alternate days- one day cardio, the next lifting? Or should I do 1/2 and hour cardio and 1/2 an hour weights? Also, do you have any blogs that you could suggest to get me started in lifting? Truthfully, I'm a bit intimidated by that side of the gym; not so intimidated that I won’t do it, but enough that I feel a bit silly when I try.

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Alternate days. Look into beginner lifting programs such as Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting. Don't be intimidated. Everyone started somewhere!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Alternate days...3x weekly lifting and 3x weekly cardio. For lifting, you need to do an actual program...just willy nilly doing your own thing isn't going to do you a whole lot of good since you don't have the experience to invent your own routine or program.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Alternate is a good plan. Any of the plans listed so far will work. I personally like stronglifts 5x5, and it is a three day a week program, so it would dovetail nicely with wanting to do cardio three times a week as well. It's worth looking into.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    agreed with everyone else. lift 3-4 days a week and do your cardio on the off days.
  • steve75596
    Options
    Beth,

Try kettle bells, kettle bell training is a full body work out it requires cardio and resistance. For toning up it is great, it takes a little while to get used to them, there are plenty of instructional videos on YouTube to help. After a while you will be looking for heavier kettle bells trust me.

Steve
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!