Did I just ruin my metabolism unknowingly

Options
I’m literally in shock right now. So I went to this well known gym and took my Body Analyzing test. It comes in a paper form. Initially it showed me I burn 1800 at resting rate. NOW after me doing OMAD for about a month now and I’ve been eating at 1.3k cause of my lifestyle which was sedentary. I checked today and it shows 1580 calories only? I only burn 1580 calories when I’m resting?! What the hell? Thing I’m seeing scale numbers dropping despite me eating at 1.3k cals . Recently it stopped cause I started strength training so I’m assuming it’s fluctuating due to water retention. In order for me to lose weight I have to be eating only 1000 calories a day? That’s insane. Did I just ruin everything...

Replies

• UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Resting calories are how many are needed to keep your body alive if you are in a coma or otherwise not moving at all. This number will go down as you lose weight-it takes less energy to fuel less body.

You burn many more calories than that with every bit of movement you do (including taking a shower and getting dressed all the way up through your workouts).

To lose weight, you need to eat fewer calories than your overall, total calorie burn (which includes all the calories you burn moving around).

You didn’t ruin anything. Your resting burn should be going down as you’re losing weight.

I’m still 105kg and have 25kg more to lose. At this rate , don’t you think my not moving calories are too low already? Apparently for my weight and heigh my body should be still burning about 1.7k cals -1.8cals without moving 😭 idk omg
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    What is this body analysing test? You mention a paper form?
    From 1800 to 1580 in just a month, or from the beginning of your weight loss?

I'm wondering if it's even accurate (you mention a paper form?). The only BMR/RMR testing I know (from reading about it) is on a treadmill or stationary bike while hooked up to all sorts of machinery. Is that what you did?
    A lower BMR/RMR is normal when you lose weight (but it would be a large decrease for only a month).

Yes I had to stand on a machine and hold two bars and it’ll print out a paper where it analyzes everything. It’s accurate. I last measure 6 months ago where it showed 1790 cals before my weight loss. I measured again today after 6months and I’m certain it’s because of my OMAD diet. I didn’t know it’ll be this low?
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    It's NOT accurate - not in the least.

That is a BIA bodyfat % scale, that's all.

If it's an accurate model, best 5% accuracy IF you present exactly the same hydrated body to it.
    If it's normal models 10% accuracy and same issue if hydrated body.

It is getting your LBM (Lean Body Mass - everything that is not fat), and running it through a Katch-McArdle formula for BMR, or Nelson or Cunningham RMR formula.

It is NOT measuring your metabolism at all.

Read that paper a lot closer and please report the other figures that are on there.

You are reading way too much into something that isn't that accurate.

BTW - you drink 16 ozs of water you just gained 1 lb of LBM and weight - and that formula would give you a different RMR figure.
    That is exactly how inaccurate it can be.

Meaning to say - you've been on a diet and lost water weight - therefore your LBM has gone down, therefore your RMR per formula (not measurement) has gone down.

And I thought you said in another thread you were lifting.
    That is not sedentary if you are referring to overall activity level.
    If you mean sedentary on MFP and 1300 calories is your base Net eating goal but because of workouts you do actually eat more (which you should say that differently when describing how much you eat) - then fine.

Oh wow but in order to lose weight I do have to be eating 500 cals lesser than my RMR right? So what do I even base on to lose weight. 1580 cals? If that’s the case then I should be eating only 1080 calories. Usually strength training I do about 60 mins which is 300 cals. Which I don’t eat back. I try to stick to my 1300 cals only because let’s say if I don’t work out my average steps are 3k steps daily if I DONT work out. If I work out it’s 8-10k steps. I try to workout 6 days a week
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I'm wondering if it's even accurate (you mention a paper form?). The only BMR/RMR testing I know (from reading about it) is on a treadmill or stationary bike while hooked up to all sorts of machinery. Is that what you did?
    A lower BMR/RMR is normal when you lose weight (but it would be a large decrease for only a month).

Yes I had to stand on a machine and hold two bars and it’ll print out a paper where it analyzes everything. It’s accurate. I last measure 6 months ago where it showed 1790 cals before my weight loss. I measured again today after 6months and I’m certain it’s because of my OMAD diet. I didn’t know it’ll be this low?

No it's not accurate. Sometimes it's lucky.
    If you really want to get a RMR test then go to a lab but a machine that puts a low voltage charge through just half of your body to measure your electrical resistance isn't going to do that.

If you don't mind me saying you do keep looking for bad news!

Am I keep looking for bad news or am I just trying to learn what’s going on with my body and trying to figure this rocket science which is called weight loss? About the RMR I don’t know I’m only assuming because I’m sure not everyone went through that lab test you’re talking about and they figured out simply by checking their calories with SOMETHING.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options

If it's an accurate model, best 5% accuracy IF you present exactly the same hydrated body to it.

It is getting your LBM (Lean Body Mass - everything that is not fat), and running it through a Katch-McArdle formula for BMR, or Nelson or Cunningham RMR formula.

Read that paper a lot closer and please report the other figures that are on there.

BTW - you drink 16 ozs of water you just gained 1 lb of LBM and weight - and that formula would give you a different RMR figure.

Meaning to say - you've been on a diet and lost water weight - therefore your LBM has gone down, therefore your RMR per formula (not measurement) has gone down.

If you mean sedentary on MFP and 1300 calories is your base Net eating goal but because of workouts you do actually eat more (which you should say that differently when describing how much you eat) - then fine.

Oh wow but in order to lose weight I do have to be eating 500 cals lesser than my RMR right?

No. You need to need eat less than your TOTAL calorie burn, which is not the same as RMR. At 550 kcal less than your total calorie expenditure, per day, you would lose 0.5kg per week.

That’s around 1800cals including my movement plus workout. So I should be eating 1.3k cals. That’s what I’m eating for now
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

No it's not accurate. Sometimes it's lucky.
    If you really want to get a RMR test then go to a lab but a machine that puts a low voltage charge through just half of your body to measure your electrical resistance isn't going to do that.

If you don't mind me saying you do keep looking for bad news!

Am I keep looking for bad news or am I just trying to learn what’s going on with my body and trying to figure this rocket science which is called weight loss? About the RMR I don’t know I’m only assuming because I’m sure not everyone went through that lab test you’re talking about and they figured out simply by checking their calories with SOMETHING.

MFP and many other sites and also that form from that gym use average statistics. Which work (more or less) for most people. Le people go a bit further and calculate their actual total calorie burn (not the same as RMR) based on a comparison between how much weight they should have lost according to these average statistics and how much they actually lost (presuming they know their calorie intake accurately).
    Personally, I don't know what my RMR is and I don't really need to know, I just know that I lose weight marginally faster than I would expect based on what MFP expects (and my total calorie burn according to my fitness watch) which means I can trust the calorie goal it gives me.

Well sadly I can’t trust the calorie it gives me cause i was stuck at one weight for 6 months until I tried OMAD. So guess even MFP is unreliable
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Oh wow but in order to lose weight I do have to be eating 500 cals lesser than my RMR right?

No. You need to need eat less than your TOTAL calorie burn, which is not the same as RMR. At 550 kcal less than your total calorie expenditure, per day, you would lose 0.5kg per week.

That’s around 1800cals including my movement plus workout. So I should be eating 1.3k cals. That’s what I’m eating for now

This sounds more reasonable. How much weight are you losing on 1300 calories? Over the last 4-6 weeks, for example, what did you lose? Your real life data will give you the best idea of your true caloric needs.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options

This sounds more reasonable. How much weight are you losing on 1300 calories? Over the last 4-6 weeks, for example, what did you lose? Your real life data will give you the best idea of your true caloric needs.

I’ve lost 4kg in 1.5months
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Oh wow but in order to lose weight I do have to be eating 500 cals lesser than my RMR right? So what do I even base on to lose weight. 1580 cals? If that’s the case then I should be eating only 1080 calories. Usually strength training I do about 60 mins which is 300 cals. Which I don’t eat back. I try to stick to my 1300 cals only because let’s say if I don’t work out my average steps are 3k steps daily if I DONT work out. If I work out it’s 8-10k steps. I try to workout 6 days a week

No - you eat 500 cal below your total daily burn.

You would only eat 500 less than your RMR if you SAT around awake ALL-DAY-LONG.

I think you forgot some good points from one of your earlier topics.
    You might look at your created posts and review it.