what’s more effective? the gym or home workouts

Options
the gyms have just opened back up where i am and i’ve been doing home workouts up until now and i’ve just started going to the gym.

what do you find for you or in general is more effective? (i know that any exercise is good but i’m jsur curious)

info weight training and cardio and i’ve managed to job for 20 mins on the treadmill without stopping and i’ve never been able to do that before. i probably could of went for 30 if i really tried

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Dunno for you as no idea what equipment you have at home or what your training program is or what your goals are.

For me the gym is massively more effective for strength training and cycling outdoors is far more effective for my cardio goals.

Training indoors at home I find tedious, too many distractions, lacking in equipment and focus.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    For me, as a competitive powerlifter, the gym is more effective.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Lol, I was just thinking of you - that it would be neither cost effective nor practical for you to try to set up a home gym.

For someone like me who uses way less weights, a home gym plus cardio outdoors is fine.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Lol, I was just thinking of you - that it would be neither cost effective nor practical for you to try to set up a home gym.

For someone like me who uses way less weights, a home gym plus cardio outdoors is fine.

And yet, I'm still trying. Gotta be ready for the next lockdown. :p I've got a power rack and a barbell, now I need to find some weight plates.
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    To improve you have to implement progressive overload. In other words you go harder than last time. If last time you ran 20 next run 21. Harder than last time. If you lifted 50 pounds next time lift 51. If you went over on your calories next time don't go over on your calories. Better than last time. That's how you improve. A room full of equipment is pointless when you don't try harder than last time.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Home workouts are more effective for me. I don’t have (or want) a gym membership. I have a full lifting setup (rack/bench/bars/bumper and iron plates, KB, dumbbells....) as well as treadmill, I rower, air bike, heavy bag and other assorted stuff.

I am mostly a runner so most of my workouts are outdoors. But for non-running stuff? It would never happen if I had to go to a gym to do it.

FWIW-I used the money I saved from quitting smoking and the money I would haven spent on a gym membership to fund my home gym.

Point being-the one you’ll do is the effective one. I won’t go to a gym and workout in front of other people. So the gym is not effective for me. Home is. Others are the opposite for the reasons that matter to them.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have a good amount of equipment and I love working out alone so home gym for me . It depends on what you mean by more effective, what you will actually do and your goals.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you like to lift heavy, and I do, the gym is the way to go. It's been very challenging and frustrating only having a total of 130# of weights to work with at home!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    it depends on your goals, your equipment vs the local gym's equipment, etc. our local gyms didn't have the stuff i'd really like to use, so over time, we started building our home gym in our little condo.

we have what we need for very effective workouts including one of these
    https://valorfitness.com/products/valor-fitness-bd-62-wall-mount-cable-station
    which is basically a tiny functional trainer and you can raise or lower the cables to 16 positions so it's great for pullovers, ab workouts and low rows, not to mention lat pulldowns, tricep pulldowns and kickbacks, lower back and ab work, bicep curls and chest. we have all sorts of weight plates next to it.

i also have dumbbell, barbells and toys like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZ0HECI/ (i use this for hip adductions) and a bullworker (go figure) as well as a recumbent exercise bike. i'm working on a better set of dumbbells and considering if i can make room for a set of fixed or should stay with adjustable ones.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Whatever works for you.

I dont like doing workouts at home around my family. It feels awkward. So, I go for long walks and to the gym. If there was a pool around I'd most likely do most of my exercising in the water instead, as I miss swimming.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I tend to work harder at the gym even if I am doing stuff I could do just as well at home. It's not a huge difference but over time it would add up, for sure. Plus I don't have much in the way of weights at home, nor do I have a heavy bag.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    THIS:
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    The one you stick to and enjoy.

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

If you have the space and shop around (it took me 2 years) you can get commercial equipment cheap.

I have a full commercial (except for my power blocks) gym in my basement, so it’s way more convenient to work out at home. Now, If only I had the time to use it more...
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    it depends on your goals, your equipment vs the local gym's equipment, etc. our local gyms didn't have the stuff i'd really like to use, so over time, we started building our home gym in our little condo.

which is basically a tiny functional trainer and you can raise or lower the cables to 16 positions so it's great for pullovers, ab workouts and low rows, not to mention lat pulldowns, tricep pulldowns and kickbacks, lower back and ab work, bicep curls and chest. we have all sorts of weight plates next to it.

i also have dumbbell, barbells and toys like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZ0HECI/ (i use this for hip adductions) and a bullworker (go figure) as well as a recumbent exercise bike. i'm working on a better set of dumbbells and considering if i can make room for a set of fixed or should stay with adjustable ones.

In a condo, I would stick with the adjustable ones personally and utilize the space for something else that doesn’t have a compact option, but that’s just me 😊
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

In a condo, I would stick with the adjustable ones personally and utilize the space for something else that doesn’t have a compact option, but that’s just me 😊

yeah, that's what i should do. i just love the convenience of grabbing a dumbbell and getting to the next move rather than fumbling and messing with it.

how noisy are the power blocks? others i've tried rattle madly... i'm currently using spinlocks.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "effective", but I'm more likely to work out at home than to make a special trip to the gym, especially these days. I guess home is more effective for me, then, in the sense that I actually complete more workouts.