Replies

• accio_doughnuts
    accio_doughnuts Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    And not a razor for the smart alecks ;)
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    ISO a hair dye remover that actually works.

if it’s demi or semi permanent try washing dawn dish soap in hot water many times and/or making a vitamin c solution (crushed vitamin c tablets) and soaking your hair in that then washing it. both strip oil put pretty bad so do like coconut oil all over hair after. good luck ♥️
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Desire is the cause of all suffering...

So whatever is the opposite of desire... That's what I want the most... ✌🏼
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options

Indifference? Apathy?

Desire also is motivating and can encourage positive growth and needed change. I think humans in general are the cause of all suffering.
  • brustmannzwei
    brustmannzwei Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    fstrickl wrote: »

Indifference? Apathy?

Desire also is motivating and can encourage positive growth and needed change. I think humans in general are the cause of all suffering.

I respectfully disagree. I think that the majority of humans would do whatever they could to ease the suffering of others.

I’d use you as an example. IMHO, you appear to be an extremely pleasant, caring, and considerate person. Although not everyone displays the same qualities to the level you do, I think most people try, or aspire, to.
  • fstrickl
    Options

Indifference? Apathy?

I respectfully disagree. I think that the majority of humans would do whatever they could to ease the suffering of others.

I’d use you as an example. IMHO, you appear to be an extremely pleasant, caring, and considerate person. Although not everyone displays the same qualities to the level you do, I think most people try, or aspire, to.

Aww shucks... ☺️thanks. I think? 😉

I kind of meant it tongue and cheek. BUT Humans definitely can be pretty lousy to other humans, animals, and the earth, but on the other hand there are many many examples of people trying to do good. I really truly have no answer for the cause of suffering, and honestly don’t think about it a lot. Rather I think that if we focus on doing good, and challenging ourselves in what that looks like (e.g.: examining our basis and stereotypes) it’s more impactful than looking at what causes suffering.

I mean sometimes I think about suffering, like when I should be sleeping but am posting on internet weight loss forums. And tbh, I do love a good late night philosophical discussion. What causes harm? What is justice? Is democracy the best form of governance? 🧐🤓 My friends used it say I’d hate the Philosophy course I had to take, turns out it was my first A class, fools!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options

Indifference? Apathy?

I kind of meant it tongue and cheek. BUT Humans definitely can be pretty lousy to other humans, animals, and the earth, but on the other hand there are many many examples of people trying to do good. I really truly have no answer for the cause of suffering, and honestly don’t think about it a lot. Rather I think that if we focus on doing good, and challenging ourselves in what that looks like (e.g.: examining our basis and stereotypes) it’s more impactful than looking at what causes suffering.

I mean sometimes I think about suffering, like when I should be sleeping but am posting on internet weight loss forums. And tbh, I do love a good late night philosophical discussion. What causes harm? What is justice? Is democracy the best form of governance? 🧐🤓 My friends used it say I’d hate the Philosophy course I had to take, turns out it was my first A class, fools!

Wow, you're such a kind soul.

.... what are you wearing ?
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options

Indifference? Apathy?

Granted I'm not talking about basic needs here like food and etc... That's a little harsh...

And I'm not going to try to pass off these ideas as my own... I believe that's actually a Buddah quote but I may be wrong 🤷🏽‍♂️...

However there's this audiobook I love and in it the author says that we inevitably decide how we want our world to be in order for us to be okay inside... And when it is not that way, we inevitably suffer...

The cause of all suffering is desire, the cause of all suffering is preference... We decide that this is good, that's bad, we want this, we don't want that... And none of it has anything to do with us...

It's all fate and the universe unfolding in front of us... We should merely be thankful that we get to exist and experience what the universe has put in front of us...

Blessed is this day the lord had made, or something like that 😂...

I know a lot of people struggle with this and want to believe they are in control but I personally believe it's ego... Another Buddah story "I want happiness", first remove I, that's ego, then remove want, that's desire, now you're left only with happiness 🤷🏽‍♂️...

And I get it, what about killers and why should we do anything 🤷🏽‍♂️... Personally I've always found that a silly question but to answer it, because you were meant to... If you don't want to, then don't and I guess you were not meant to 🤷🏽‍♂️.... Either way, it's got nothing to do with you... 💕
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options

Indifference? Apathy?

The cause of all suffering is desire]

We could talk all day about this one sentence.

Why did all of those souls suffer during the last hundred years ?

World wars and insurrections and revolutions....

Most didn't suffer by their own hand.

However, you can definitely make the argument that they suffered from the evil desires of others.
    People like: Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Che Guevara .... all evil.
  • ButterIsGood
    ButterIsGood Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ISO pizza that tastes like pizza but has no calories.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Options
    hrichts wrote: »
    ISO:

A protein coffee shake that tastes like it might actually have coffee in it, anyone have a good one?

yeesss...well no...someone gave me some for my bday last year...but i forgot brand...was so good
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    iso a nice place up north on 10 or so acres with a nice set back, water/mineral rights, 3 bed 2 ba, room for tornado/bugout shelter. pond and treed lot preferred.

Same here, plus a rich man who'll buy it for me, maintain it with me, cook for me, fix my computer and do renovations for me, and then leave me completely alone when I want my alone time. He can sleep in a tent on the other side of our property or up in our romantic getaway tree house. It's gotta have blueberries, blackberries and apple trees too. Space for a garden.

Sooooo close. I’m on 22 or so acres.

If you cook too, I'm there. And *I'll* even sleep in the tent.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    @fstrickl It boggles my mind what levels the human race can stoop to at times. :(
    Not being sure of what superior entity I believe in, I find even myself thinking "God probably didn't have this in mind when he doled out ribs and brains".
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    ISO clothes that I actually like, make me feel good, look good on me, are inexpensive, made sustainably, easy to take care of, etc., etc. :)
  • fstrickl
    Options
    Lol, I like that this discussion got reallll deep and I was snoozing.

@Mr_Healthy_Habits have you read Herman Hesse’s book Siddartha? It’s the (fictionalized) story of how Buddha became The Buddha. Really interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I agree that ego is a big barrier to so many things.
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Indifference? Apathy?

Better go ask Plato. But what does it mean to even wear something? How can we be certain we are indeed wearing things?

Okay new day, ISO some GD peace and quiet. 😜
  • fstrickl
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    @fstrickl It boggles my mind what levels the human race can stoop to at times. :(
    Not being sure of what superior entity I believe in, I find even myself thinking "God probably didn't have this in mind when he doled out ribs and brains".

I know humans can really be quite awful. “Doled out ribs and brains” made me laugh though and put a funny image in my head, so it’s brilliant that humans can also be funny. 😊
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    ISO of date night. My dresses and high heels are going to waste.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    Lol, I like that this discussion got reallll deep and I was snoozing.

@Mr_Healthy_Habits have you read Herman Hesse’s book Siddartha? It’s the (fictionalized) story of how Buddha became The Buddha. Really interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I agree that ego is a big barrier to so many things.

Indifference? Apathy?

Better go ask Plato. But what does it mean to even wear something? How can we be certain we are indeed wearing things?

Okay new day, ISO some GD peace and quiet. 😜

You know what's hella funny...
    I was really just trying to be funny with my original post 🤷🏽‍♂️... 😂

But to seriously answer the question, I think the opposite of desire would be detachment 🤷🏽‍♂️... Maybe? 🤔

And on that note....

Indifference? Apathy?

The cause of all suffering is desire]

We could talk all day about this one sentence.

Why did all of those souls suffer during the last hundred years ?

World wars and insurrections and revolutions....

Most didn't suffer by their own hand.

However, you can definitely make the argument that they suffered from the evil desires of others.
    People like: Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Che Guevara .... all evil.

I had to sleep on this one admittingly... And I'm no one to tell anyone whose spent time in a Russian prison camp how to think or feel about anything, granted...

Also granted that these are extreme cases... However, that being said... I'd imagine if you were to find yourself in such extraordinary circumstances... The only real way out, the only real way you might be able to find any moments of peace is... Detachment, acceptance, some type of meditation where you can quite the mind...

That being said, of course you should keep hope alive and looking for a physical way out... But some might argue that you will only ever have the presence of mind to do so once you can detach...
  • accio_doughnuts
    accio_doughnuts Posts: 88 Member
    Options

if it’s demi or semi permanent try washing dawn dish soap in hot water many times and/or making a vitamin c solution (crushed vitamin c tablets) and soaking your hair in that then washing it. both strip oil put pretty bad so do like coconut oil all over hair after. good luck ♥️

Should I mix the vitamin c tablets into water, or would conditioner be better because it can throughly cover the hair?
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options

Should I mix the vitamin c tablets into water, or would conditioner be better because it can throughly cover the hair?

u use mortar and pestle to crush it, or a coffee grinder, then melt in hot water. I think u can use vitamin c powder too, just buy the stuff that doesn’t have food coloring. You can try with conditioner, but maybe mixing with shampoo is better? basically the vitamin c opens up hair cuticle so u can wash color from hair shaft, but all natural oil is washed away too, so using real oil on your hair to rehydrate after (not just conditioner) helps a lot. I’m not sure if you use conditioner with the vitamin c that it wouldnt just prevent cuticle from opening ♥️