Is it ok to have sweetners?

Options
Hi, I've had mixed veiws on if it's ok to take sweetners such as Splenda. One perssonal trainer told me i was moving closer to my grave taking it ( was not impressed with that comment )

Wha twould you guys advise?

Thanks, Funjabi x

Replies

• dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    As a doctor of pharmacy, I can tell you that Splenda and other artificial sweeteners are perfectly safe. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet. I wrote a very large paper as a premed student debunking the aspartame myth.

The reason why most diets frown on sweeteners is that it can make you crave sweets. As long as your will power is good, there's no problem.
  • funjabi
    funjabi Posts: 16
    Options
    :bigsmile: Awww thank you so much for that, brilliant news!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've had mixed veiws on if it's ok to take sweetners such as Splenda. One perssonal trainer told me i was moving closer to my grave taking it ( was not impressed with that comment )

Wha twould you guys advise?

Thanks, Funjabi x

I have sweeteners in my tea and coffee and have done for years and years. Regarding the "are they good for you" question, I look at it this way, I like sweet tea and coffee, without some sort of sweetener or sugar in it, it tastes like poison to me.

I have cut out all sweets, cakes, biscuits and chocolate. I have cut out sugar in my beverages because as I stated earlier, I now have sweeteners.

If someone were to tell me "don't have sweeteners, they are bad for you" I would bluntly tell them all the things I USED to eat in abundance when it came to sweet things and how I now no longer have any of them and if I damn well can't have sweeteners in my five cups of tea per day because they are "bad" for me, tough.

They should see what I used to consume before I started changing my eating habits!!! They would surely have a fit :laugh:

If the only vice I now consume is some sweeteners, I don't think I am doing too bad.

The same with the original poster, if you cannot abide unsweetened drinks, have your Splenda or whatever other sweetener you want because if you restrict that as well as all the other things you are changing, eventually you could find yourself getting fed up and start rebelling.

:flowerforyou: