New and need support

Options
Hi there. I have had MFP for a couple years but not truly using it. Always looking for the magic way to shed my extra pounds. But I guess it is time to try something new. I have never posted before but here goes
Current weight :236 lbs
Height 5’2”
September goals
Lose 5 lbs
Walk 10 min 5 days /week
Simple cardio(12 min) 2 x per week
Get up from my desk every hour and do 2 stretches

Replies

• KVFkvf
    KVFkvf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi. I’ve just opened the App after 2 yrs of Doing Nothing & Ignoring my weight gain. Your post caught my attention - I’m 56 yrs old, 5’3” None of my clothing fits anymore; concerned w colder weather coming soon. Your Goals sound very realistic & attainable! I hope its okay I share them for myself - You’re going to do Great! You should be so Proud of taking the 1st step ... here we go!
  • gjfredrick
    gjfredrick Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off of MFP a couple of times myself. Support is good and I can use some also. Into my 2nd week and blew it today, not entirely, still hit under my goal for calories but they were all carb and fat calories. Ugh...tomorrow is a new day and I will strive to do better. Oh and I am 60 years old, almost 61 and have a long way to go. Arthritis hinders me physically, for now diet alone, after hip replacement, I will have to exercise to finish my weight loss journey. You both sound like you are ready to make the changes. I know we can do it!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,483 Member
    Options
    Take heart. The way to lose weight is well known, it’s a calorie deficit. But there’s a significant learning curve that rarely gets mentioned. No one was born counting calories, we have to learn it. Yet lots of people come here and start only to throw up their hands and walk away at the first misstep or disappointment. Don’t do that.

Successful calorie counting is a set of things.
    You don’t say anything about a food diary in your post. Have you started one? Try it. Get a food scale and weigh everything except liquids when crunching numbers.

Use the MFP calculators to calculate a calorie deficit. But this- give yourself time to find a number that works for you. The calculators are based on averages and statistics, but no one is exactly average. Expect to spend several weeks tinkering with the numbers. Weight loss has 2 parts- eating in a calorie deficit that results in a downward trend and living with it. Resist the tendency to go all in on the most aggressive deficit imaginable. A plan you find you can’t live with is not a good plan.

Last- and your outcome will prove to be as good as your plan. If you find yourself having difficulty at some point work to make your plan better. There’s no need to kick yourself for struggling. It’s all a matter of trial and error. Never quit.
  • gjfredrick
    gjfredrick Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My Dr. wants me to cut out the carbs. Which I mostly have been doing, except for the other day. But when I do I have a hard time meeting my calorie goals for the day. I want to stay under the recommended calorie count but eat enough that it will record what I have eaten for the day. So often I get the "you haven't eaten enough today....blah blah..." Any suggestions?