What are some good natural appetite suppressants?

Rannoch3908
Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
edited September 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
What are some good natural appetite suppressants?

I am eating a large healthy breakfast that should fill me up till noon but I am immediately hungry again. I am ready to eat breakfast at 1030am after just eating breakfast at 9am.

I am drinking lots of water but it's not really helping. All I can think of is food.

I never used to like breakfast really and wasn't hungry till like 1pm daily but now that I am not eating junk all the time and eating healthier and going on walks all I can think of is food and when my next meal comes.

Replies

• durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited September 2020
    I have never used intermittent fasting (IF) myself, but some people swear by limiting their eating window to 8 hours of less, meaning, for a lot of folks who do this, they just skip breakfast altogether and start with lunch.

As far as foods that can fill you up, I believe there is a volume eaters' group somewhere on MFP. They might have a lot of ideas to answer your specific question. It really can be such an individual thing, what fills us up and keeps us satisfied. For me it is steamed broccoli and some of the other cruciferous veggies.

Exercise can, for some people some of the time, suppress the appetite. I get a benefit like this if I take a long walk right after I eat. But if I exercise vigorously before I eat, it just makes me hungrier.

ETA 1: This is all to say that, as far as suppressing one's appetite, there might be foods/activities/supplements that can do the trick but the timing and dosage of these might matter too.

ETA 2: In my own experience, at some point I just had to get comfortable with being uncomfortably hungry when I was losing weight. It may be that not everyone has to go through that, but I never learned to eliminate my hunger completely.

• renydo2
    renydo2 Posts: 2,152 Member
    try squeezing in some exercise instead - walk briskly for five minutes, do one, five, ten, push ups, jumping jacks, sit ups - it's tough sometimes to get your mind off of food - just find what works best - make sure your breakfast is full of protein so that it takes your body longer to feel hungry - try "IF" - don't eat after 8 pm - skip breakfast and no lunch til 1 or 2 pm - eat healthy for the 7 or six hours - you might find that it works well for you - keep trying different things until you find what works for you - it won't take long - you can do it !!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    What are you eating for breakfast? Try adding more fat & protein. 2 scrambled eggs & a couple of slices of grilled bacon (about 275-300 cals total) last me a while.

Drinking water and/or doing something active often help me put off the 'I want food' monster.
  • Rannoch3908
    I kinda meant like fiber supplements or something like that I could take in between.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited September 2020
    Hydrating helps me, maybe eating more fibrous foods?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    In my experience, high fibre food with lots of fruit and veg.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    I kinda meant like fiber supplements or something like that I could take in between.

In a pinch psyllium husk seems to help me there. A spoon full Psyllium husk, mix with a lot of water, directly drink. Maybe drink more water. That stuff expands like crazy, so having enough water with it is important (especially for swallowing, do not attempt to swallow a spoonful dry!).

May work for you, too.

Warning: Sudden high fiber intake can lead to uncomfortable changes in bowel movements.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    I find coffee to work well as a hunger suppressant.

However, for me, I often find that if I eat breakfast in the morning when I am not very hungry I become hungry all day practically non-stop. If I wake up famished, then I can have breakfast and not experience this. So, I typically skip breakfast and wait to eat my first meal when I am actually hungry instead.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Water. Lots of water.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited September 2020
    I like fibrous foods and protein...together. Currently eating 3 cups of steamed broccoli with shrimp wonton soup for dinner.

Fiber supplements (and/or cereals, drinks, etc) have their place. I tend to use two on occasion: Ultimate Daily Cleanse (as a yogurt topping or mixed with my protein shakes) as well as SmartBran or All-Bran Buds cereal.

ETA: In light of your hunger pangs perhaps adding some of the reasoning behind my dinner may be helpful to your meal considerations.

I was about to log the shrimp wonton soup for dinner as well as a dessert of salted caramel ice cream with 0.5 cups of All-Bran Buds. It would get me to my daily fiber goal but I wasn't sure I was going to be satiated until bedtime (which isn't for another 3 hours or so).

I remembered I had broccoli and checked the nutritional values. With 3 cups, I'd meet my fiber goal (but now stay under my carb goal), all with fewer calories and sodium. Extra bonus? The food volume means I'll stay satiated longer. Heck, I wasn't even sure I'd finish as it was extremely filling.

And while I still have caloric room for ice cream, my stomach needs a wee break right now lol

Perhaps you can immediately think of some high(er) volume foods that you can sub into your meals? If not, I hear the "Volume Eaters Thread" thread is stellar for support and feedback.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Apples, oranges, grapefruit all fill me up since they have high fiber and volume. If you are hungry soon after eating, increase the protein as well. ie. eggs for breakfast instead of sugary cereal.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    How many calories are you eating in total? How large is your deficit?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    DanaDark wrote: »
    I find coffee to work well as a hunger suppressant.

However, for me, I often find that if I eat breakfast in the morning when I am not very hungry I become hungry all day practically non-stop. If I wake up famished, then I can have breakfast and not experience this. So, I typically skip breakfast and wait to eat my first meal when I am actually hungry instead.

Similar here. Weirdly, when I go to bed slightly hungry, I’m not hungry until lunch the next day. When I go to bed really full, I’m ravenous in the morning.

I absolutely love oats but when I have them for breakfast I’m hungry an hour later and pretty much all day. I’m fine if I have them as an afternoon snack, though. If I’m hungry for breakfast, I do best with a fat bomb (e.g. coffee cake made with almond meal, no sugar) or something high fat, high protein and low carb. I eat lots of carbs, just not for breakfast.
  • Rannoch3908
    I am not only looking for a fiber supplement (or another pill).

I am already drinkng 100 oz of water daily and that isn't helping.

I am taking all the other ideas into consideration but was hoping for something I can "pop" when feeling hungry - not plan my whole day differently (eating later, changing diet, changing meals, etc).
  • Rannoch3908
    I do like the idea of eating the same things but STARTING later in day. Basically IF.

And maybe a cup of coffee in the morning - they do offer that at my office.