Is it truly possible to get wider hips through working out?

Options
This is something I am genuinely curious about. I read about it and had done some research and some sources say it is while others say it isn't. I am working out at the gym and want to be realistic about my goals and possibilities. I have an inverted triangle shape and I hate it so I would love to balance my body out through having my hips look wider. I know that building the glutes and thighs are possible but will my hips look wider through doing that? I'm currently 5'2 and 120lbs and eating at a surplus of 2500 calories and about 130g of protein. I have 35in hips so my goal is to get 38in hips by next summer but I don't even know if my hips will look balanced with my shoulders through working out my glutes and eating enough proteins and calories. Is it even possible?

Replies

• cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I don't think so.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    No one can forecast what you will look like as a individual without knowing how sensitive you respond to training and current programming amoung other things.

If you moderate goal is to gain 3" on hips in 10 months then measure in six weeks. If it is .5" gain then you are on track. If not, then you have a better idea of how you respond to current training.

Protien target assuming you are eating quality protien is exactly where you should be.
  • kontehhalima
    kontehhalima Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    It depends on your genetics and muscle gain as well as how you store fat. For me when I got really lean I lost my hips, but once I put on weight especially glutes (medius in particular) my hips took shape again. Right now I'm doing tons of accessories like abductions and lateral band stuff and I find it working for the sides of glutes.

I see, I unfortunately store fat on my waist, arms, and breast so it'll be difficult for me but I dont think it is so difficult for me to gain muscle. Unless I was measuring wrong, at one point in the past during lifting I was able to go from 36in to 37in at about 6 weeks.