Need ideas for low impact - begineer workouts?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Love all these ideas - have been walking and biking every day so far.

Want to gain some strength/muscle too so when the pounds fall off there is something to see ;-)

I have never been able to stick with standing in front of a TV or tablet watching and following along to exercises but maybe if they don't have me getting up, then laying down, then up, then laying down and doing a bunch of stuff I can't handle I might do better at sticking with it.

Team Body Project - looks PERFECT but it costs money - boo.
    Wonder if it can be had free somehow.

Eating at a deficit and only looking to add in 15 min of weight training a day won’t build much if any muscle, but it will improve strength. Best of luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I gardened for four hours yesterday. My poor hamstrings, lol.

Since I moved here in 2016, we've converted 9 sections of lawn into vegetable (3), flower (5), and ornamental grasses (1) beds.

Previously I rented, and picked a place where the landlord let me do anything I wanted in the yard as long as I paid for it.

For people who have a lawn but no interest in flower/vegetable gardening, I guarantee that unless you have a comprehensive lawn service, there is work that can be done to improve the lawn. Now is a great time of the year to do it.

I personally have no interest in lawns, but if I'm bored and in need of an outdoor project will get out there with a narrow spade and dig dandelions, etc.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love the walking with Leslie Sansone Dvd's...you can do a mile 2 mile all the way up to 5 miles ...you can do it at your pace .... I am in love with the walking to her party hit one that includes HIIT ...

I second Leslie Sansone. Her 3 mile walk endorsed by American Heart Association helped me recover from a shattered knee. Its a great beginning until you build up endurance. She has several other ones that use arm bands. They are free on YouTube, don't require much space.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    So I have tried some workout apps like Sworkit, Nike, 7 Minute Workout, etc and just can't handle them yet.

There is so much getting up and getting down on the ground, things I can't do with zero strength holding my body up, high impact exercises that involve jumping that hurt my feet, etc. They all want me doing planks and burpees and mountain climbers - WTH - I am not there yet.

I need to find something to start with that is more low impact, for super beginners, that isn't pushing me as hard. I just want to MOVE - not exercise hard or be sweating bullets after. Just trying to move and build strength for like 15 minutes more a day.

Any ideas?

Honestly, walking and biking are two of the best places to start when you're out of shape. I'm in pretty good shape, and these are still my primary exercise activities...difference being I bike further and faster and more often than I did starting out. Fitness is something that is built over time.

In regards to doing something for strength, you'd likely be better off getting a good set of bands and doing band work with some bodyweight stuff. Those DVDs that have you jumping around and up and down have some strength elements to them, but they are by and large more intensive cardio than they are actual strength work.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Strength training is my weak area. (No pun intended.)

I've started building a list of easy to do (for me) things.

So far:

Lower: Lunges, squats, plie squats, Glute Bridge, Clamsheel
    Arms: Dumbbell rows, Dumbbell bench, Tricep dip, Bicep Curls
    Core: Plank, forearm plank, Bicycle Crunch, Mountain Climber

I'm keeping notes on what reps I do.

Cardio comes easier for me, as I have access to a treadmill at home and work. And I'm able to walk outdoors when the weather agrees with me.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Walking and biking are great.

If you’re looking for more indoor videos, in addition to Fitness Blender there’s also PopSugar Fitness and Denise Austin on YouTube. Popsugar Fitness skews a lot younger, and a lot of their videos do have high intensity and impact, but they’re really good about having one participant show all the modifications. They’re also good about showing a range of body sizes in their videos. Steer clear of anything that’s marked as HIIT or plyo for more beginner-friendly choices. Denise Austin is older (my mom made me do her videos in the early 90s), and she has more of an old-school vibe, but her videos are still fun, and she focuses a lot on stretching and warming up.

ETA: I’ve been doing a bunch of YouTube video workouts with the bad air here in NorCal, and I’ve discovered that my biggest problem is that I enjoy the fun of dance workouts, but cannot follow a > 4-step combo to save my life. Good thing my drapes are closed.
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Want to gain some strength/muscle too so when the pounds fall off there is something to see ;-)

I have never been able to stick with standing in front of a TV or tablet watching and following along to exercises but maybe if they don't have me getting up, then laying down, then up, then laying down and doing a bunch of stuff I can't handle I might do better at sticking with it.

Team Body Project released some workout sessions on YouTube that I believe are free to the public!! :)
    I'll link some below -- I hope that's okay!!
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have to reiterate 3 ideas I've seen here that I was going to suggest.

Walk at Home with Leslie Sansone is something I've just started and I'm really enjoying it. Not too challenging but I do work up a sweat.

Fitness Blender tends to be a little more advanced and more focused on strength training but they're great if you want to work a little harder.

Team Body Project has some free videos on YouTube and they're right in between the other two. Harder then Walk at Home but using simple movements like step touch the ground, hamstring curls, boxing moves, etc. Mostly 20-30 minutes.

I'm looking for more YouTube channels like these three, too.
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Any ideas?

• if gyms are available again in your area: Basic weight training (ie slowly pick up heavy stuff -like a barbell- and put back down again). (as in: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/). The simple compound lifts will also work your core pretty well, especially if currently too weak for the abs-specific exercises (things like sit-ups, planks, mountain climbers,..). If it's not a busy gym time and you stick with only 2-3 sets each of just 1 leg + 1 push + 1 pull, you really can be in and out in not much more than 20 minutes 2 or 3 times per week.. and see a very noticeably difference in how much easier random things are in daily life that require a bit of strength.

• Cardio, in addition to the cycling, walking: roller-blading, hiking, dancing (post COVID, when we get to do this again), adding short bits of running in with the walking, snow shoeing,...
    • For winter: I'd recommend trail running shoes and/or some carbide spikes for the continued walking. For the bike, you may want to swap out the tires for ones with better cold/wet grip, possibly studded; and some pogies (aka bar mitts) for the handlebars.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    Team Body Project offers some magnificent low-impact workouts :)

I second this - excellent workouts for beginners, with options for seated workouts as well. And they constantly reinforce that you do what you can do at your own speed and level.

\

If you sign up for the free version of their website, you can get access to a few more videos than what they have released on Youtube - you don't have to pay for a basic account; its free.

They also have a Roku channel which is what I use, and when I log in with my free account, I've found other videos I can use, too.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Lucy Wyndham Reed. Found her on YouTube. I generally like High intensity workouts. But when I need or want a sane workout, I go to her. They’re effective, but she structures them for beginners and has Side by side routines for when you’re ready to kick it up a notch. Plus, she has a great personality.
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This is a great programme, works like C25K so 9 weeks, 3 x 30 min workouts a week getting progressively harder, but instead of running it’s cardio/core/Glutes. No equipment needed just YouTube, a mat or cushion for under your knees and enough space to move

You can also sign up for an account on the Our Parks website for free and it tracks your progress so you can record reps and how hard you found it.