Thinking About Clothes

alright, this may sound silly to some, and perhaps vain, but I am constantly thinking about the thousands of dollars of Talbots clothing hanging in my closet, items with the tags still on them, stuff worn once, etc. I have always been a clothes horse, and when I gained all this weight, I was more determined than ever
I would always dress smartly, have my makeup and hair looking good, and wear fab jewelry. Even though I am heavy, I felt I looked better than most. Well, since starting this 1200 calories a day program, I have lost 19 lbs since Aug 14th. I think I might be sabotaging myself mentally, because I keep thinking of my closet! Any ideas on how to move along and change my thinking?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited September 2020
    Perhaps think of all the OTHER things at Talbots you can acquire?

Also tailoring is a marvel if you can find the right tailor locally (or if a friend or family member is adept).

For anything that is beyond tailoring (for example if you get much smaller and the sewing/hemming would drastically alter the garment shape), there are sites like Poshmark where you can sell your gently used items. Take that cash and head back over to... you guessed it, Talbots, then get more stuff.

Lastly, beyond Talbots there are many retailers where you can find mid-range to higher range non-fast fashion items that fit your styling sense as well as your changing body.

All the best to you with your health and fashion journies!
  • Nikonana
    Nikonana Posts: 13 Member
    You are so right. Listen, I started at 258 and am down to 239 in 5 weeks. I am aiming for a size 14 or 16 from a size 20 or 2X. I carry my weight pretty well. No one thinks I am the size I am. Thanks for your input.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    List them on one of the used items apps. Sell them, then use the $ to buy new items along the way.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    You can sell the clothes on various online thrift sites and turn the money around into replacement clothes.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    The really big stuff I just donated. If it's a little bit, I keep it in case I gain weight again. That's not the plan, but my weight has gone up and down a lot in my life. I also have a few cut things I kept from when I was smaller that I look at to remind me of my goal to lose weight and fit into that cute stuff.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I sold all my 3X size scrubs on E bay (it’s pretty easy to learn to do) and donated the rest of my old wardrobe to second hand shops. Totally worth it to not have those items occupying space in my closet. Also it’s an incentive for me to maintain my goal weight to continue fitting into my new smaller clothes and not have any larger sizes to fall back on so I won’t allow my weight to creep up a size, or two, or three. I’ve maintained for almost 7 years now. The number on the scale constantly fluctuates but my clothes always tell me the truth ;) Since I can sew a bit, I did alter a few items that I really wanted to keep so that they fit my now smaller size. If you don’t know how to sew, now might be a good time to learn and experiment on the larger clothing you don’t intend to keep anyway :)
  • Leezy55
    Leezy55 Posts: 339 Member
    We have a couple high-end women's consignment shops in our area, perhaps you can find something like that where you live.