Eating calories earned on fitbit

Can someone advise please if any calories earned on fitbit should be eaten. I have around 1200 1300 cals daily, i am 5 foot 2 148 pounds, want to be around 133 to 136 pounds. I have lost half this week but not consumed any exercise calories. Thnk you

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    The minimum a sedentary female should be eating is 1200 net calories a day.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    harper16 wrote: »

Not "net". The idea being you need 1200 calories IN FOOD to get enough nutrition.
  • harper16
    freda78 wrote: »
    harper16 wrote: »

Not "net". The idea being you need 1200 calories IN FOOD to get enough nutrition.

Maybe I wasn't being clear with my comment. If she eats 1200 calories and for example burns off 300 calories. That's only 900 calories a day which would not be healthy.
  • boofle2
    boofle2 Posts: 18 Member
    edited September 2020
    Thank you for replies. It says on MFP where i log my food i have eaten 1236 cals but earned 451 from my fitbit steps, it then adds the 451 to my 1200 daily total given 1651cals for the day. I only eat the 1236 is this correct.I am getting confused with whether to eat them or not. I have my profile set to lose half per week and get 1220 cals daily and my exerise set at sedentary
  • hankHardisty
    hankHardisty Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2020
    So, someone please explain to me what the purpose of the “negative calorie” setting is. What I have experienced is that when I have logged 200 cal in body weight exercises or yoga, the app starts subtracting calories earned by walking from the exercise session. I use Fitbit Coach and Down Dog, but they do not communicate directly with MyFitnessPal. Thanks!
  • harper16
    boofle2 wrote: »
    Thank you for replies. It says on MFP where i log my food i have eaten 1236 cals but earned 451 from my fitbit steps, it then adds the 451 to my 1200 daily total given 1651cals for the day. I only eat the 1236 is this correct.I am getting confused with whether to eat them or not. I have my profile set to lose half per week and get 1220 cals daily and my exerise set at sedentary

You should be eating back your exercise calories, but if you are worried it might be over estimating you can eat back 75% for example and adjust.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    as per Harper 16 - I eat back some of the fitbit calories - I think it over estimates
  • boofle2
    boofle2 Posts: 18 Member
    Thank you everyone xx
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    So, someone please explain to me what the purpose of the “negative calorie” setting is. What I have experienced is that when I have logged 200 cal in body weight exercises or yoga, the app starts subtracting calories earned by walking from the exercise session. I use Fitbit Coach and Down Dog, but they do not communicate directly with MyFitnessPal. Thanks!

The negative calories is just an adjustment between what Fitbit says you've burned and what MFP thinks you have burned. I have a lightly active setting and anytime I sync with less than 6000 steps or if I run early but don't have any other movement, I get a negative adjustment. This usually goes away by the afternoon for me as I move more. I'm actually using Garmin now, but I'm pretty sure my previous Fitbit worked the same.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2020

You do more you should eat more.
    You do less you should eat less.

In a diet a tad less in either case.

The negative adjustment causes the latter.
    The positive causes the former.

In your case MFP doesn't know if the steps were part of the exercise it knows about that you logged - so it removes it.

But really if you have a workout of 200 cal, and MFP removes from your extra calories based on steps 200 cal - you are right where you began.
    No change.

But that sort of usage (where you are NOT syncing Fitbit and MFP accounts) is fraught with error - MFP doesn't know distance from those steps and that is more accurate calorie burn for daily stuff. It doesn't know if workout involved steps so it assumes yes.