Home Treadmill Thoughts

Options
We are considering purchasing a treadmill these days. We do not intend for this to be our main workout option. We have a bike trainer a gym membership, and the outdoors. We were looking for something to walk on through the day and running on it for those days we can't bring ourselves to go outside(too much snow/ice, winter weather, etc,).

We are looking at manual and motorized. We'd like to get peoples' thoughts on what they have and how they like it. How did you arrive at your decision.

Thank you for your input.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I have a NordicTrack. I bought the best one I thought I could afford. I use it more in the summer, when the humidity is high, than in winter, but it is a good alternative when I don't want to run outside.
  • pirate_john_75
    pirate_john_75 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a Horizon 7.0AT treadmill. Like you, it's my plan B when I can't go outside. I really like it. It was only $1,000 and although it doesn't have all the bells sndcwhistles, I can park it in front of the TV, turn on Netflix, and be good to go for a while.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I got a gold's gym model from Walmart. Goes up to 10%incline. Works great except for the speaker wire wore out, NBD.
  • KerrieA87
    KerrieA87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    We’ve literally just bought a motorised Reebok one, we’re uk based and it cost £500. The objective is mainly for me to get to use it as I have a condition called exercise induced anaphylaxis and find it easier to jog/run indoors, but my husband is due knee surgery soon and will use it as part of his rehab too.
  • melodyvegan
    melodyvegan Posts: 59 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I opted for a thin one with no incline. I was originally looking to get a Treadly, but they are more than double the price.

Here's the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZRSBP5S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_kE4zFbJ88HSF5

As walking is my main form of movement, I mostly wanted it so that I could make sure to keep moving during the winter days that were absolutely too cold and miserable to get outside. I also have a standing desk at home so I can use it for work too. I was concerned that the speeds would be too slow for running, but I was wrong, this thing can go very fast! I love that it is lightweight and that I can store it under my couch so that it doesn't become an eyesore.

ETA: I'm short (5"1) so the length of the treadmill works great for me. My partner is 5"11 and says it works for him, but he does wish the treadmill was a little longer because his stride is longer. Just something to note.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I shopped around on Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, and eBay. I found a life fitness commercial one for $75 in New York. My poor husband had to carry it down 5 flights of stairs in many pieces. I had to pay someone $125 to put it back together because it was a bucket of parts.

I’ve also picked up a concept 2 for $100, an arc trainer for $75, a life fitness bike for $90, and a life fitness summit trainer for $75.

My point is, if you are patient and shop around, you can find really good deals on used commercial equipment. In a home setting, it will last you the rest of your life.
  • BillyEvern
    BillyEvern Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have JTX sprint -9 folding semi commercial. Brought to replace York treadmill as console had rotted out and replacement was not available. Very heavy but high spec build. Brought folding due to being put in basement room also used as workshop. In winter can be used up to 2hrs a day. Still trying to get WIFI in basement to use ZWIFT. Has loads of built in programs and MP3 connection. Love it.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Looking at the new Tread from Peloton. It's not cheap and they are coming out with a second generation one next year. From what I've read, it's one of the softest and most realistic surfaces you can get. It's for my wife, who needs that when she walks and jogs on a treadmill. It's expensive but comparable ones (which are few) are nearly double in price, so compared to them, it's a value and I wouldn't pay a whole lot more than my dropped gym membership.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Looking at the new Tread from Peloton. It's not cheap and they are coming out with a second generation one next year. From what I've read, it's one of the softest and most realistic surfaces you can get. It's for my wife, who needs that when she walks and jogs on a treadmill. It's expensive but comparable ones (which are few) are nearly double in price, so compared to them, it's a value and I wouldn't pay a whole lot more than my dropped gym membership.

Personally think peloton is a rip off. You’re paying for the name and then you have to pay subscription fees on top of that for their programs. I’d much rather something higher quality for the same money and not bother with subscription nonsense, but to each their own.