Depressed & Struggling

Options
2»

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Cj833 wrote: »
    I am struggling with something similar but I haven’t been able to maintain my exercise routine. I’m hoping having people to talk to will help get me out of a rut and out of the dumps. I think reading people’s stories and knowing others are struggling with similar things can help a lot.

Exercise has always been the easy part for me...go figure. I’m sending you a friend request - I log my food and my exercise every day.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I may check out the barre video you mentioned. Keep up the great work! 👏🏻

Good luck! The Scottish Ballet video is here if you want to try it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNnzK5NjsZk&feature=emb_logo.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize with your struggle. I also gained weight due to comfort eating from stress of COVID. Gained about 30lbs, but 2 months ago I started a plan to lose the weight. First, realize there are tons of people like us. Many people are drinking and smoking more, so if you aren't doing that, at least be happy that this is just a weight and fitness thing. I don't drink or smoke so I'm very grateful about that.

Things that help when I overindulge:

1. Don't weigh myself for at least a week, jump back into my regular healthier habits and realize that we all make mistakes. Weight loss is NEVER perfectly the way you want it to happen.

2. Try to do some exercise a few times a week. I hate exercise so I've been walking to stores and doing you tube tutorials at home when the mood strikes to move.

3. Allow indulgence in some comfort foods, preferably the most healthiest ones you can find. For example, I was trying to safe money and be healthier by only drinking water. Now I'm getting sweet food cravings so I have some stevia flavored sodas I drink that fill me up. Not that healthy, but does the job!

4. Ask your partner to help. Have them encourage exercise, eating healthy together, and I even don't watch ANY news and asked my husband to tell me about anything important. This was the best move.

5. Play with pets! Care for them, take them for walks. If you don't have a pet, consider adopting. I adopted a pet during COVID and I snuggle with my cat at night when I can get insomnia, and during the day to just relax. Petting him is very relaxing for me.

6. Zoom or Skype people you care about that you can't visit. Don't chat with people that make you feel bad. I tried talking with a certain family member who is quite mean and I've just stopped trying to make a connection and it is much less stressful. Instead I talk to my friends and put my energy there. If you are working from home it is extra important to have some social outlets because we can't really meet up as much due to the pandemic.