Is it possible to count resting calories from Apple watch?

At the moment, MFP is counting my "active" calories (burnt through a recored workout on the watch) + BMR which is a static number it predicts.

I think it would be much more accurate to count the total of burnt calories from the Watch - "resting" + "active"

I'm struggling to find a way to do so. Is it possible to do it?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    You are correct - that would be more correct.

And that's exactly how it works for all the other trackers that report the correct figure to MFP for Total Daily Calories Burned.
    Apple choose not to, and MFP made the sync live without making them correct it.

To obtain what you desired with least fuss - de-link MFP and Apple health accounts. Don't select in MFP app the Apple Watch.

Find Pacer in the list of MFP apps - create account there and sync to that from MFP.
    Then sync to that same account with Apple Health account.
    Pacer is your go-between.

Now what everyone but Apple would assume Total Daily calories burned means is synced to MFP.
    Apple still sends the workouts over.
    You get credit for workouts and increased daily activity (which for many is more than workouts).

Your eating level is correctly increased when doing more than sedentary, and if you enabled Negative adjustments, you are decreased when doing less.
  • public404
    public404 Posts: 4 Member
    @heybales Thanks for the suggestion, it seems like a possible workaround. Unfortunately I didn't succeed setting up the apps.

As you can see in the screenshots I have

- Removed MFP's access to health data/Apple Watch
    - Installed Pacer
    - Synced Health data with Pacer
    - connected Pacer with MFP and synced

After doing that, MFP is still unaware of today's workouts. Did I miss something?

4vm05a06v0rd.png
    m8aecdasgo1t.png
    kh62cft9289i.png
  • heybales
    The MFP app settings for Step Source - set to Pacer?
  • public404
    @heybales Yes it is!

fss4agdp535j.jpeg
  • public404
    @heybales Whatever I did, it's syncing now! Although it's still not showing the total amount of calories I would expect.

2scu23yn0563.jpeg
    q56kvbtnlq4s.png

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    This happens often and it is annoying. Try closing both apps before trying to sync again. If that doesn't work try waiting an hour and then trying to sync again.
  • heybales
    And the useful screen that actually tells you something to go on is the Exercise diary for the Adjustment, tap and hold to see the more detail.
    That's the one that says total sent over and what time that was.

I think MFP has updated the app again with some options I'll need to check out though I don't like running it.