Net carbs low total carbs high

Options
I track my net carbs but it’s hard to not notice my total carbs are crazy high. I was wondering if it’s ok that my net carbs 12g but then my total carbs were 72g! Will that kick me out of ketosis agin I’m watching my net.

Replies

• mrstwinkelpleck
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer to this question. I never really thought about net carbs till recently when I was looking at a Fiberone bar wondering why there were two different carb numbers on it. I’ve been on low carb for about 1 1/2 years and I love it.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Double check the database entries to make sure they are correct (for total carbs, fiber & sugar alcohols).

If you’re eating a lot of “low carb”/low net carb” prepared foods, it’s very possible as they are often very high in fiber (to lower the net carb amount).

As for problems with high total and low net carbs, if the database entries are correct and you’ve just consumed 60g of fiber, and that’s much more Fiber than you normally consume, you may have an uncomfortable few days ahead of you. And if that fiber is coming from “low carbs”/“keto” prepared foods with a lot of sugar alcohols, then you may have quite a few gastrointestinal disruptions.

Fiber is good for you and helps many of us feel full. Lots of good foods have a lot of fiber. Many people regularly eat a large amount of fiber. But it’s not a nutrient you want to increase by a substantial amount in a short period of time.

I’m making some assumptions here but 60g of fiber out of 72g total carbs (how you would arrive at 12g net carbs) is the kind of ratio that comes from Metamucil or packaged “low carb”/“keto” foods that have been pumped full of fiber to lower the “net” carb count.