Fitbit and how it works!?

Options
I synced my Fitbit to myfitnesspal my for some reason my calories burned doesn't add upright with my food diary, am I missing something?

Because my Fitbit says I burned a total of 2702 calories yesterday and I ate 1670 and my Fitbit app says I am in the zone for macros but myfitnesspal is telling me I am over on calories... I am so confused!

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Looking at your diary from yesterday...

MFP gave you a calorie goal of 1670, which is based on our height/weight/age/gender and your stated activity level. This is probably based on you stating you want to lose 1 or 2 pounds per week is my guess. If you stated 1 pound, then MFP expects you to burn 2170 daily. If you stated 2 pounds, then MFP expects you to burn 2670 daily.

Your adjustment for yesterday is -406 which means that Fitbit reported to MFP that you burned lower than MFP expected. If Fitbit says you burned 2702 however, my best guess is that something is not right in how they are communicating with each other. Maybe try disconnecting and reconnecting?

Edited because looking again, I see you logged 1670 but your goal was 994. Not sure how its possible to have a goal of 994 so maybe something weird in the settings or just some odd glitch?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    When you link Fitbit to MFP, MFP should use the daily calorie burn reported by Fitbit. Disable "negative calorie adjustments." If you are looking to maintain, then you put your stats in MFP and it assigns a TDEE. Best to set that for "sedentary." Now, when Fitbit (which has the same stats, presumably) thinks you've been active that day, it will estimate a higher number of calories and you should see this listed in your diary.

Sometimes the link breaks for unknown reasons. Also, there can be a delay before MFP updates with the Fitbit data. Sometimes you can push it along by syncing your Fitbit to your phone, waiting a minute, then updating the MFP app.

Best of luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    TNoire wrote: »
    I synced my Fitbit to myfitnesspal my for some reason my calories burned doesn't add upright with my food diary, am I missing something?

Because my Fitbit says I burned a total of 2702 calories yesterday and I ate 1670 and my Fitbit app says I am in the zone for macros but myfitnesspal is telling me I am over on calories... I am so confused!

Don't attempt to follow 2 roads to the same destination - at least it will be confusing, at most aggravating.

You mentioned Fitbit for macros.

Use Fitbit for only movement related goals and logging.
    Use MFP for only eating related goals and logging.

Otherwise they both use different systems for doing math on meeting the other goals and easily won't match up.

Ditto to above comments.

Eating goal would have been 2702 less deficit to lose weight, whatever yours is set to.
    994 ain't it unless you are in there tweaking things.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys, it's probably a glitch with the 2 trying to communicate... I started to log food here and when I did it doubled the food count on my Fitbit app but I Fixed that way before I posted my question above.

I also noticed here on MFP under exercise it says "Fitbit calorie adjustment" then has a number also which was -406 yesterday. I started using this again because my hubby's work has us doing our points programs for this year and it was easier to link food to the Fitbit/his work website instead of logging everything 3 times.

I was logging food on the Fitbit app since January just sucks I can't keep it logging there and automatically pop up here :neutral:

Guess ill just log here and load up the windows 10 app to check my bar graph to see if I'm in my macro range, again thanks :wink:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That adjustment is what MFP does in order to correct it's calculated daily burn with no exercise, to whatever your Fitbit says your daily burn was with whatever you may have done, all included.

So neg 406 means you could have selected on MFP a high activity level, and MFP calculated you'd burn say 2500.
    Fitbit reported though that you burned say 2094 only.

Since MFP based your eating goal on the 2500, and you didn't actually burn that much, it needs to remove 406 from eating goal.
    You do less you eat less.

The other reason that can happen is you manually logged a workout on MFP.
    To prevent double counting what it already knows about, and what it's assuming is already in the daily burn sent by Fitbit, MFP removes it.
    Now the adjustment and the workout put together still cause MFP to end up with what I described as basically a correction.

Sometimes the food glitch is when corrections are made. Fitbit doesn't recognize a correction, it just makes another entry.