Debating to get fitbit

Options
griffith5150
griffith5150 Posts: 123
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
is it worth it and what does it do for you? Right now I am using MFP/Runkeeper/Fitoracy (just for the goals and game aspect of tracking) but I keep seeing threads here and there for Fitbit, so I check out the site, was a bit intrigue. Wondering if I should sign up and do it.

Replies

• skchilders
    skchilders Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love mine so much. Meeting the distance and steps goals has become completely addicting to me, and I'm definitely at the point where I feel naked without it. I really just like having something that is calculating every step I take and showing me the calories I've burned along the way. :)
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in what others have to say about this as well.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    my wife and I both love our fitbits. I have the One (I like the on-device display) and my wife has the Flex. Go get one, you will not regret it.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Flex and absolutely love it. I'm competitive (and maybe a little obsessive...), so I love having the step goal everyday and meeting it. It definitely gets me to move more.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've had my fitbit one for about 2 weeks and I love it! I have it synced with MFP and I'm basically letting it dictate my calorie intake for the day. I've started following the fitbit suggestions the Sunday before last, and I lost 2 lbs that week. Prior to that, I was averaging .7 to 1 lb per week following MFP's suggestions and then switching over to TDEE -20%.

I'm not sure if I'll get the same results every week, but even if I don't, I still like that I can have fitbit friends that I compete against, as well as just having it on and wanting to get in my steps in everyday. Sometimes I'm walking in place during various times of the day just to get some steps in.

At the very least, it keeps me moving!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've had my flex since the beginning of the month and I love it. When I am having a lazy day and look at how lazy I have been it encourages me to get up and move. I get excited when it vibrates that I have met my goal for the day. I highly recommend it :)
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge Fitbit fan. I've had mine for over three years and can't imagine being without it ever (I pretty much wear it 24/7 ... just off for showers, use that time to recharge). I'm such a visual person, and the Fitbit really SHOWS you your day at a glance. I did a post on my blog about it, with a lot of the graphs and such you'll see if you have one. If you are interested it's at
    http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/wondering-about-fitbit.html
    I really recommend it. It works great with MFP too. I've picked up Fitbits for my two oldest boys, and both my parents. We are a Fitbit family! *Ü*
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I got one and it's cute, but it does nothing more for me than MFP does. For me it would have been much better if I'd saved up and gotten a good heart rate monitor instead rather than throwing down that $60. I don't even carry my Fitbit anymore, and I just got it in June! But I know some people do love them.
  • riverboat2001
    riverboat2001 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, Hubby and me had them for about six months and we both feel they are fantastic in keeping us motivated. You won't regret it.
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I got one and it's cute, but it does nothing more for me than MFP does. For me it would have been much better if I'd saved up and gotten a good heart rate monitor instead rather than throwing down that $60. I don't even carry my Fitbit anymore, and I just got it in June! But I know some people do love them.

I don't have one, but I fully expect that your reaction would be mine if I did. Not to mention, I don't want to include all my standard daily walking in my burned calories amount - if my everyday walking around and doing things was getting me skinny, I'd already be skinny! Instead, I spent my cash on a decent heart rate monitor and track any physical activity that isn't a standard part of my day (whether it be cardio, strength training, playing a physical game with friends or with a Kinect, etc.) and use that info to figure out my exercise calories for the day.

That being said, i have a family friend who is IN LOVE with her Fitbit. And if something brings you joy (and isn't a bad thing), I say go for it (assuming you have the cash for such a thing).
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I have the Zip, and it definitely keeps me moving more. I try for 15,000 steps a day M-F and 10,000/day on weekends. Overall, $50 well spent.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Zip and I LOVE it!
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am looking into something like this too. I hope you dont mind me crashing your thread for information too.

Is the Fitbit suitable for swimming? or are there any other alternatives that do monitor that as well as the stuff the fitbit does?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    So you are not sure what it is, nor what it does, but since you saw the name in threads you want to know if you need it?
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    So you are not sure what it is, nor what it does, but since you saw the name in threads you want to know if you need it?

:flowerforyou:
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am looking into something like this too. I hope you dont mind me crashing your thread for information too.

Is the Fitbit suitable for swimming? or are there any other alternatives that do monitor that as well as the stuff the fitbit does?

The only fitbit suitable for swimming, from what I understand, is the Flex. The others aren't waterproof, just water resistant, so if you sweat on it, it'll be ok. The flex is waterproof though.
  • ajmaupin
    ajmaupin Posts: 44
    Options
    I have the flex and LOVE it, it shows me how active I am and its a wake up call to show how inactive you really are (espcially me wince i have a desk job). I use it with MFP as adding food is simpler on here than on fitbit. The competition piece of it is also cool as 4 of my family members have fitbits and we make a contest out of it. My biggest complaint is that as I do not have an Iphone or Samsung, I cannot sync when out and about, I have to do it at home.

As for swimming, yes you can with the flex, just no diving.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I would say if you do not love your fitbit then you have a fitbit zip. I do not think they are worth the money. The fitbit is the best thing I have gotten in a while. I also have a heart rate monitor which I use rarely. The way it works is not really how many steps you have determines youre calorie count but how fast you are moving. Sure if you get 20,000 steps one day you will in turn have more calories burned then on a day you do 10,000 however, wouldn't you expect to? Now I don't eat all my calories back so this really is not my concern but I will say this I have compared what I got from my HRM while working out and it was comparable to what my daily burn through my fitbit.

All said it is an AWESOME investment!!! I would suggest to get the fitbit one if you are visual and like to see your numbers and stats and i would suggest the flex if you do not care to see the stats or if you like to be in water since it is waterproof.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm holding out for a Bodymedia Core 2--supposed to be out this fall. More expensive PLUS a monthly fee, but the apparent accuracy is worth it to me. And there will be an optional heart rate strap that you can wear all day if you really want that syncs with it.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that info ajmaupin and jesseBYAH. I did see it said "Wear all day and night, even in the shower." but I wasnt sure it went as far as being swimable :) and as a lot of my cardio work is swimming, I need to find something that I can use as a one tool fits all type thing.
This discussion has been closed.