300g a WEEK!!!

0Leena0
0Leena0 Posts: 61 Member
edited September 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey All :smiley:

current weight: 75.2kg
height: 163-164cm

I'm struggling with something and I wish i can find the answer here. I have been trying to lose weight this whole year. starting June I noticed that I lose 1Kg a month despite my exercising and eating according to my calories. I only have one day a week where I join a meeting where they ordered food for dinner. this is the only time where I cheat.
I changed my exercise routine (which takes an hour a day )and change my eating options just in. case my body got used to my routine. I also drink 4 bottles of water (600 ml) a day.

I accepted that I might lose 1 kg every month although I'm not happy about it :( but now it got worse, for almost three weeks working (6 days a week) I only lost from 76.1 to 75.2 .. { to be exact, on the 5th of Sep my weight was 76.1, then on the 17th of Sep it was 75.5, and today on the 23 of Sep I reached 75.3}.

People lose 300g in a day and it took me a week. I'm going insane!! :s

Replies

• 0Leena0
    It's necessary to realize that your rate of loss slows as you get closer to goal. The last 10 lbs can take much longer. People usually lose faster in the beginning. So, congrats that you are still losing--many hit a plateau and can't get past it. Be patient and exact in your calorie count. Good luck, you'll make it.

but I'm still far from my goal!! according to my ideal body weight, I should have a weight = 55 kg.
    I know everybody is different but I have seen a lot of people lose more weight in the same duration and close to my starting weight. :neutral:
  • 0Leena0
    threewins wrote: »
    As a suggestion, try reducing the number of kj/calories you are meant to eat. Also, if you want to speed up your weight loss, you may have to give up or significantly reduce what you are eating in the "cheat meal". It could well be that the meal is slowing your weight loss by a significant margin. Of course, we don't know because we don't know how big or small the meal is.

I was advised that I should not reduce it to 1200 or less since it will be a starvation mode for the body. as for my cheat meal { a burger and fries together is around 1550 cal or sometimes 3 slices of pizza. I don't give myself a free pass that day so o would reach roughly around 2300 cal
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 443 Member
    Weight loss can be really slow sometimes, inexplicably when you do all the right things. Consistency is key. If your weight is going down that is still something.

Do you weigh yourself weekly because hormones/water could hide those losses. Whilst it doesn't work for some people, weighing myself daily (and tracking it)has helped me see the patterns and what is a normal fluctuation. Yes you are right some days I lose 300g. But I have also gained 800g overnight too! Depending on what day of the week I weighed myself I'd have either been happy that week and planning to continue the same, or left wondering what I had done wrong and desperately trying to shake up my diet when actually I was doing the right things and cutting calories would have been unnecessary. You need to see the overall trend.

Are you eating above maintenance on your work/cheat meal? Do you have a pair of trousers you can use as a bench mark to see how they fit, because the scales might not be moving much, but you could be changing shape from your exercise.
  • 0Leena0
    0Leena0 wrote: »
    It's necessary to realize that your rate of loss slows as you get closer to goal. The last 10 lbs can take much longer. People usually lose faster in the beginning. So, congrats that you are still losing--many hit a plateau and can't get past it. Be patient and exact in your calorie count. Good luck, you'll make it.

but I'm still far from my goal!! according to my ideal body weight, I should have a weight = 55 kg.
    I know everybody is different but I have seen a lot of people lose more weight in the same duration and close to my starting weight. :neutral:

what do you mean - according to your ideal weight, you should have a weight of 55 kg??

At 163 cm, a weight of 55 kg gives you a BMI of 20.7 (20.4 at 164 cm)

which, sure, is healthy - but so is a weight of 65 kg (BMI 24.4) - what makes you think 55 is better for you?

You are same height as me and about same weight now as I was when I started - I lost 10 kg in 10 months - rate of 1kg per month - not consistently though - some weeks were more than others but that works out to an average of less than 300g per week.
    Swapped to maintenance at 62 kg (BMI 23.3)

What you are doing is working well - you just have to be realistic about your expectations - both of your 'ideal weight' and of the pace to get there.

A dietitian has advised me that the range for me is between 41- 60 kg, and told me that if I lost weight till 65 i would still have fat and I'm at risk to quickly go back to what I was so it best to go lower, I don't binge eat or eat much and to be honest, now I'm at a level even when I eat something small I hate myself afterward and feel so guilty.
  • 0Leena0
    First of all, for your height, and assuming that you're female, your goal weight is low. Shouldn't you be around 60 kg? That's 15 kg and you've been losing for awhile. Weight loss is not linear and you need to adjust your calories every 5 kg that you lose. Stalls happen, especially for females, and the very worst thing you can do is compare yourself to "other people". Just do you. You're still losing and that's what's important, just know that weight loss slows down and it's normal.

by adjusting calories do U mean to reduce it more?
    I don't compare myself with others I just want to see if I'm doing something wrong
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited September 2020
    You should not be eating less than 1200 calories per day (and some people - including me - can't eat at that level for any length of time at all). You should not adjust your calories down below that level.

If you keep eating at a deficit, you will continue to lose, but it takes time and you can find yourself on a plateau. Also, remember that your weight loss will slow down as you get closer to your goal weight. I have been averaging a loss of 2 kg per month (which is ca. 500 g per week) since May, but for a good bit of June/July my daily weigh-ins did not look that way at all. At present my loss for this month looks to be a bit short of 1.5 kg (so ca. 350g per week), with ca. 4 kg to go to goal. (At my current weight I am in normal bmi). I am expecting that my weight loss might drop to ca. 1 kg per month over these last few kgs. This process has not been linear though, and yesterday I weighed in at around 1 kg heavier than than the day before yesterday, and 0.5 kg heavier than today. I track my weight every day and calculate a monthly average so that I can see trends, not just individual numbers. You might find that this helps you to see your trends too.

Be patient with yourself and with your body. It (=you!) is an amazing organism, and deserves to be treated well.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Are you weighing foods?? I may have missed that somewhere, but if not, weigh and track everything accurately.

What is your activity level set at? Are you sedentary, lightly active etc? Are you sure you chose the correct activity level for what you are (pre exercise)? For example: I am sedentary working a 45 hr week desk job. After work and weekends I walk, hike, or go to the gym. I add all of those activities into MFP separately.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    First of all, for your height, and assuming that you're female, your goal weight is low. Shouldn't you be around 60 kg? That's 15 kg and you've been losing for awhile. Weight loss is not linear and you need to adjust your calories every 5 kg that you lose. Stalls happen, especially for females, and the very worst thing you can do is compare yourself to "other people". Just do you. You're still losing and that's what's important, just know that weight loss slows down and it's normal.

I don't compare myself with others I just want to see if I'm doing something wrong

No, I'm generalizing because you aren't giving much information--stats (height, age, gender, daily calorie goal, exercise calories burnt........). This information gives you a better answer. Losing weight is individualistic. You go at your own pace and should be comfortable with it. You should not hate yourself when you eat something. The level your dietician wants you to hit is difficult. But, again, I don't know you. It is low. Good luck.
  • 0Leena0

No, I'm generalizing because you aren't giving much information--stats (height, age, gender, daily calorie goal, exercise calories burnt........). This information gives you a better answer. Losing weight is individualistic. You go at your own pace and should be comfortable with it. You should not hate yourself when you eat something. The level your dietician wants you to hit is difficult. But, again, I don't know you. It is low. Good luck.

I did mention my height and the duration of my exercise but I don't know the number of calories burnt

height: 163-164 cm
    age =27, female
    i work out an hour a day, I have a treadmill and i do some other workouts
    i eat (sometimes) around 1300 -1550 a day

the dietician said that I gain weight so easily so I need to hit a point where it will solve that issue
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 443 Member
    Major concerns about your dietitian. You can look here for NHS guidance on a healthy weight. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/height-weight-chart/ You'll see that 40kg is very much underweight.
  • 0Leena0
    edited September 2020
    sijomial wrote: »

what do you mean - according to your ideal weight, you should have a weight of 55 kg??

At 163 cm, a weight of 55 kg gives you a BMI of 20.7 (20.4 at 164 cm)

which, sure, is healthy - but so is a weight of 65 kg (BMI 24.4) - what makes you think 55 is better for you?

You are same height as me and about same weight now as I was when I started - I lost 10 kg in 10 months - rate of 1kg per month - not consistently though - some weeks were more than others but that works out to an average of less than 300g per week.
    Swapped to maintenance at 62 kg (BMI 23.3)

What you are doing is working well - you just have to be realistic about your expectations - both of your 'ideal weight' and of the pace to get there.

A dietitian has advised me that the range for me is between 41- 60 kg, and told me that if I lost weight till 65 i would still have fat and I'm at risk to quickly go back to what I was so it best to go lower, I don't binge eat or eat much and to be honest, now I'm at a level even when I eat something small I hate myself afterward and feel so guilty.

Think you should recheck those numbers as 41kg would be very underweight.

By BMI at 163cm your healthy weight range would be 49.2 to 66.2kg.

If they are advising you to aim for an extraordinarily low weight and saying odd things like "you gain weight easily" (most people can) and "you would still have fat" (well of course you would as it's essential for life to have some fat) I think you would be sensible to check their qualifications.

Depending where in the world you live the terms dietician and nutritionist can mean very different things from properly educated and highly qualified to a self-appointed title or a correspondence course/bought certificate.

I think she meant by "you gain weight easily" that some people could eat and they slowly put weight one but others will put it fast.

but thank you ALL for your time and comments, i learned a lot :smiley:
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    I had to convert to inches/pounds because I'm not familiar with cm/kg. Approximately 5'4", 165 pounds, female, 27. Goal weight of 55 kg would be 121 pounds.

A few thoughts... You don't need a final answer on 'goal weight' right now. You won't know until you get closer what you'll feel like at that #. But I'm not going to say that 55 kg is unreasonable.

What you know for certain: you are not happy with your body, weight now. You are taking steps to change that. That is a great start! You are losing weight but are not happy with the rate of loss. You could possibly improve that, for a while at least. As you get smaller, your body uses less energy so ultimately it is common for your deficit and rate of loss to slow as you get closer to goal.

With 30-40 pounds yet to lose, losing more than .5 pounds per week is not unrealistic. How accurate is your logging? Things you can do to improve your logging accuracy:
    • use a food scale for all solid food, and weigh in grams
    • use cups/spoons only for liquids
    • log condiments, cooking oils, beverages
    • avoid bites/licks/tastes when you are cooking - they add up
    • be careful that the entries you select in the database are accurate - entries are user created, and can contain errors
    • try to be in control over making/prepping your own food so you can know what goes in to it; there is nothing 'wrong' with eating food made by friends, family, restaurants - but the more often you do, the more you must estimate in your food log and estimating leads to errors
    • create your own recipes in the MFP database, instead of using existing entries that sound similar - you can't know how an existing item compares to what you make in terms of nutrients, macros, or calories
    • do give yourself permission to eat additional calories earned from exercise, but be careful not to over-estimate the amount you burn *This is a tricky area*

For comparison I am a little taller at 5'5" and now at 137. My goal is around 130. I've been in the upper 120's and maintained there for a while. I walk and/or run (mostly walking, with a goal to increase the running gradually) 60 minutes daily in addition to light daily activity due to desk job. I do some very light (working on it!) strength training. My estimated total daily burn is 1900-2000. I'm eating 1400-1700, with at least 100g protein daily. I'm losing at the rate of 3-4 pounds most months. I am older at 45 by the way.

Do work on being kind to yourself. This is a journey, not a destination. If you choose to eat differently/more for a day or two that is not the end of the world. If you do the math: when you choose to eat an extra 1000 calories then that is the equivalent of .28 pounds or .12 kg. Eating extra would thus 'delay' the overall process by a small amount of time. Meaning you may delay reaching goal by a number of days. You have a whole life to live so is that really a big deal?

When you get closer to your goal, you can fine tune what is a priority to you. Just don't give up the process of getting healthier and improving your overall fitness. If you end up at 125 pounds and are happy with your body or 135 and still see things you want to change: is either outcome bad? I don't think so.