Logging dry or cooked food

Options
Hi, for my calculations for oatmeal. Do I say 1 cup of dry or 2 cups cooked? How does the system know the difference in which? Also, same thing for rice please. Thanks.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,973 Member
    Options
    You have to look at the nutrition and compare it to your label.

I measure all dry things like oats, pasta, and rice before cooking.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Dry is going to be more accurate, because the volume after you cook it depends on how much water you used, which can vary.

Weighing it is more accurate that using cups as a measurement.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Dry is going to be more accurate, because the volume after you cook it depends on how much water you used, which can vary.

This♡◇☆
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I look at the dried food amount.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

I don't think you meant to imply that weight of cooked oats would be more accurate than volume of cooked oats, but I think it can easily be read that way, so I just thought I'd point out for people reading the thread that the weight of cooked oats will vary due to differences in how much water is used and cooking times and temperature just as much as volume will vary.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I tend to go with the dry weight/dry entry. Because cooked in my opinion is generic. Kind of like an entry for a medium piece of something. I don't know how it compares to what I think is a medium piece of that thing.

The cooked weight will vary depending on how dry or moist you want your final product to be. But the original/dry weight is not subjective.

Example for how I would log if I made rice in a rice cooker:
    • Based on dry weight, 270g of rice and 2 cups of water goes into the pot. First though I weigh the pot and note the weight in grams.
    • 45g is 160 calories, so 270g is 960 calories
    • When the rice is finished cooking, I weigh the pot w/ rice inside. Then I subtract the pot's weight.
    • If the final weight were 2000g and I put 250g of it onto my plate I would do simple math to say my portion was 250/2000 of the whole so that would be .125
    • I'd log as .125 servings of 270g OR : 33.75 servings of 1 g (because 270 x .125 = 33.75) dry, uncooked jasmine rice

But if I liked my rice moister, I might stop cooking it sooner. It would be heavier. Perhaps 2200g because there is more water in it. If I had 250g in this scenario, 250/2200 would be 30.68g of the dry rice. Lower cals.