home treadmills hurt my knees - any ideas as to why?

Options
i've owned a number of treadmills throughout my adult life, and every one of them caused me knee pain while walking does not and gym treadmills do not. all but one of the treadmills were folding - we just don't have the room for one without that. i'm careful not to drag the belt faster when i walk, and this just drives me crazy.

yesterday after some exercise biking, i went for a brisk 15 minute walk outside on about a 7% grade with lots of uphill and some down. no problems. today i tried the latest treadmill for 5 minutes at what is for me an unrushed pace, and within 3 i had a pain in one of my knees in a spot that i don't get pain in.

any thoughts on what could be causing this? it's driven me crazy for 25 years.

Replies

• sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem only for me it's shin splints. I can walk for miles on pavement or trails but on most treadmills I only last a few minutes 🤷‍♀️
  • steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Snider says that most people tend to run on their toes on a treadmill.

“Running on your toes means that your knee is bent to a larger degree when your foot strikes the treadmill. Therefore [it] absorbs far more force with each step. Unlike running outside, the constant pace on a treadmill is unnatural. [This] is why this prolonged stress of each step can be detrimental to your knee,” he says

@zebasschick, I have the same issue which is why I sold my treadmill and jog/walk only outside now. I found this info on adaptiv.com. I never have issues now. If I go to the gym now I only use the stairs and the bike. Those two strengthen but don’t aggravate!
  • steph6556
    Options
    Aaptiv.com..... sorry for the mess up above
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem only for me it's shin splints. I can walk for miles on pavement or trails but on most treadmills I only last a few minutes 🤷‍♀️

huh... something to think about...
    steph6556 wrote: »
    Snider says that most people tend to run on their toes on a treadmill.

“Running on your toes means that your knee is bent to a larger degree when your foot strikes the treadmill. Therefore [it] absorbs far more force with each step. Unlike running outside, the constant pace on a treadmill is unnatural. [This] is why this prolonged stress of each step can be detrimental to your knee,” he says

@zebasschick, I have the same issue which is why I sold my treadmill and jog/walk only outside now. I found this info on adaptiv.com. I never have issues now. If I go to the gym now I only use the stairs and the bike. Those two strengthen but don’t aggravate!

i walk on treadmills usually, but i'll bet i walk differently. i usually walk heels down, the rest of my foot sort of gliding down after. i've noticed some pain and swelling when walking in small spaces, so maybe the same on the treadmill.

because i'm rehabbing my legs, i can't do much resistance on a bike, but i can do anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes on one before the first flash of pain makes me stop.

maybe a treadmill just isn't for me... even when i was in great shape, i always had this problem.
  • steph6556
    Options
    @zebasschick, I get this problem within five minutes of treadmill. It’s a shooting pain in my knees, begging me to stop. It’s weird and it never happens when I walk or even run on the pavement. I hear ya.
  • zebasschick
    Options
    steph6556 wrote: »
    @zebasschick, I get this problem within five minutes of treadmill. It’s a shooting pain in my knees, begging me to stop. It’s weird and it never happens when I walk or even run on the pavement. I hear ya.

wow, it never occurred to me that other people had this issue. it IS weird, and that's my exact problem. do your knees swell, too? mine do...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Do you leave them flat or increase the slope?

Is the platform long enough on your home treadmills?

Are your home treadmills powered ... so that the tread band goes around even when you're not walking?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Commercial products and personal products aren't often made with the same quality.

Also, my podiatrist once told me, when I moved my winter training from outdoor long runs to indoor ones on the gym's mill to "always have some incline" and to vary it during the session.

Basically, since then I'd never put a treadmill of any kind on 0% incline (save for the last 30 seconds of cool down).

Note: my original running challenges included flat feet (got orthotics), a bum left knee (got a brace). The treadmill hack helped the knee pain though and I didn't need to use the neoprene brace as much.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    I like my treadmill at 1% incline.

I see a lot of people either on 0% or at something close to the max incline, thinking that the steeper the incline the better. Both of those choices cause me a lot of unnecessary pain within a very short time.

But a 1% incline is good.

Occasionally I'll go to 3% for a short while when I've warmed up.

I also have relatively flat, inflexible feet (got orthotics) and some hip pain when running, but again, the 1% feels reasonably comfortable.
  • zebasschick
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Do you leave them flat or increase the slope?

Is the platform long enough on your home treadmills?

Are your home treadmills powered ... so that the tread band goes around even when you're not walking?

i've used them incline and flat, and all the treadmills have been powered.

as to whether they're long enough, i'm 5'3", and the shortest belt has been 49".

i used it yesterday at 3% and 0%. i will try 1% - you never know!

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Shoes
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw in that it might mess with your stride. I have a long stride and i have to adjust it if using a treadmill. Maybe having to alter this means you're using different muscles and putting strain on different parts?

Also for those using inclines it's not a hard and fast rule about inclines. Inclines can affect your power back because once again it alters your stride. I know this first had and was told by physiotherapists to never use a treadmill on an incline and believe me I've learned my lessons.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    I'm going to throw in that it might mess with your stride. I have a long stride and i have to adjust it if using a treadmill. Maybe having to alter this means you're using different muscles and putting strain on different parts?

Also for those using inclines it's not a hard and fast rule about inclines. Inclines can affect your power back because once again it alters your stride. I know this first had and was told by physiotherapists to never use a treadmill on an incline and believe me I've learned my lessons.

Super insightful as my strides are shorter than when walking (especially if I'm trying to do a 180 footfall/min pace 😐. Who made that a thing?!).

Always a good idea to see what your healthcare team will suggest for you!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm going with difference in heel strike, or amount you keep knee bent to absorb some of the impact.
    Warm up walk on treadmill I'll find myself just barely willing to overstride, which means knee is straighter to accomplish that, and that means more heel impact.
    And with gym treadmill perhaps having more rebound, cushion, impact absorption - no problem there.

You can video at home on treadmill easily, probably.
    See if you can find outdoor spot with bench or table to prop phone on to do the same with what feels like normal non-problematic pace.

Might also measure your turnover - is it really around the same both places, I'm pretty near 60 per 1 foot strike so easy to see the timing on each right leg down say. That can change too.
  • zebasschick
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Shoes

i've tried wearing 'em and not wearing 'em. doesn't seem to make any difference.

at 5' 3", i don't have a very long stride, but my normal not-running stride is 22".

i originally didn't plan to use this newest one on an incline, but i had had an awesome incline non-treadmill walk just a couple days before, so i figured "why not?" gonna try it on no incline to see how it goes - it's the only treadmill i've had that literally had a no incline setting.
    MaltedTea wrote: »

Super insightful as my strides are shorter than when walking (especially if I'm trying to do a 180 footfall/min pace 😐. Who made that a thing?!).

it's annoying that i can walk on an incline in real life but not on a treadmill. i'd love to work my hamstrings more.

i have very rarely found a doctor or physical therapist that told me anything useful when it comes to exercise or injuries.
    heybales wrote: »
    I'm going with difference in heel strike, or amount you keep knee bent to absorb some of the impact.
    Warm up walk on treadmill I'll find myself just barely willing to overstride, which means knee is straighter to accomplish that, and that means more heel impact.
    And with gym treadmill perhaps having more rebound, cushion, impact absorption - no problem there.

See if you can find outdoor spot with bench or table to prop phone on to do the same with what feels like normal non-problematic pace.

Might also measure your turnover - is it really around the same both places, I'm pretty near 60 per 1 foot strike so easy to see the timing on each right leg down say. That can change too.

all i did yesterday was warmup walk, it was slower than i ever walk in real life. but i do believe it's a huge difference in heel strike and front of foot strike as the balls of my feet feel swollen today.

turnover?

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Shoes

i've tried wearing 'em and not wearing 'em. doesn't seem to make any difference.

I believe that when Mr Healthy said "shoes" he wasn't speaking of shoes vs barefoot - what he meant was (*IMO) the fit and quality of your shoes. There are dedicated running shops that will fit you for a proper shoe. Also they need to be inspected for wear and tear and replaced every so often. Proper footwear when running is extremely important.
  • zebasschick
    Options
    Shoes

I believe that when Mr Healthy said "shoes" he wasn't speaking of shoes vs barefoot - what he meant was (*IMO) the fit and quality of your shoes. There are dedicated running shops that will fit you for a proper shoe. Also they need to be inspected for wear and tear and replaced every so often. Proper footwear when running is extremely important.

ah!

i don't run at all, and these shoes - some sort of sketchers in like-new condition - are totally comfortable when walking fast, slow, uphill and down when not on the treadmill.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Shoes

at 5' 3", i don't have a very long stride, but my normal not-running stride is 22".

i originally didn't plan to use this newest one on an incline, but i had had an awesome incline non-treadmill walk just a couple days before, so i figured "why not?" gonna try it on no incline to see how it goes - it's the only treadmill i've had that literally had a no incline setting.
    MaltedTea wrote: »

it's annoying that i can walk on an incline in real life but not on a treadmill. i'd love to work my hamstrings more.

i have very rarely found a doctor or physical therapist that told me anything useful when it comes to exercise or injuries.
    heybales wrote: »

all i did yesterday was warmup walk, it was slower than i ever walk in real life. but i do believe it's a huge difference in heel strike and front of foot strike as the balls of my feet feel swollen today.

turnover?

How often does each foot hit the ground.

Walking for many is 120 per min, or same foot 60, or once per sec.

For running usually recommended up around 180, or 90 per same foot.

A video of walking in each instance will point that out too if phone back far enough to catch several strides.
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I only walk on my treadmill - briskly though and at high incline. 2 x week ?
    Started a year ago and I started to get back ache. Seems common.
    I read "on the internet" that a treadmill only aggravates an underlying condition.
    I carried on and don't suffer at all now.
    So - are you able to persevere with the treadmill ?
    Having other exercise options may well cross it off the "to do" list.(it would for me)
    It is weird that you don't ever get get the pain in any other way.
  • zebasschick
    Options
    djaxon1 wrote: »
    I only walk on my treadmill - briskly though and at high incline. 2 x week ?
    Started a year ago and I started to get back ache. Seems common.
    I read "on the internet" that a treadmill only aggravates an underlying condition.
    I carried on and don't suffer at all now.
    So - are you able to persevere with the treadmill ?
    Having other exercise options may well cross it off the "to do" list.(it would for me)
    It is weird that you don't ever get get the pain in any other way.

i just tried the treadmill for the second time. i went very slowly at 0% incline, and i could feel it straining my left knee at every step, but very short steps kept it from actively hurting; when i tried to lengthen my stride toward a normal stride, it started to hurt, so i shortened my stride again. walking much more quickly with a longer stride around the house or around the complex doesn't hurt or strain my knee.

if i cross it off - and i might since i have little pain on the bike and none on the stepper - we'll have to send it back to amazon (shudder) or sell it at a loss. we've ended up selling all the other treadmills at a loss over time. but i REALLY want to be able to walk at home when it's hot, raining, etc, so every 3 years, we try another treadmill LOL