10 thousand steps

Options
Hi everyone...

I have to stop doing cardio for a bit...my system is a bit out of whack. Im currently doing g 3 days a weel of weights and 3 days a week of cardio. Now that om dropping the cardio i am going to add three more days of weight training, so that will be a total of 6 days a week. Unfortunately my thyroid and stress hormones are a bit all over the place and I need to take it down a notch to rebalance them. I jave put on weight out of no where and I biebe my metabolism has slown down as well. My Dr. said that cardio puts to much stress on my body right now...i was wondering if I was to make sure to take 10 thousand steps a day plus the weight training would that be enough to keep my calories at lightly active still?

Replies

• zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure if the intention was to reduce your physical stress by reducing your "cardio" (which has a huge range of duration and intensity......) then replacing that stress with the stress of more weight training and the compromised recovery time of back to back training days puts you right back to square one.

Ask your Doctor!

So what do you suggest then?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    There is a point of diminishing returns.

I get my 10,000 steps most days. I'm not obsessive about exercise because my body has warned me that it isn't happy with too much abuse. I don't know what your physical problems are, but you do describe yourself as a fitness fanatic and any kind of obsession comes with its negative side.

Rest.

If you're a fitness fanatic, surely you know the benefits of not over-working?
  • zfitgal
    Options
    I like to do something fitness related everyday...it.makes me feel purposeful...it open my head...
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure if the intention was to reduce your physical stress by reducing your "cardio" (which has a huge range of duration and intensity......) then replacing that stress with the stress of more weight training and the compromised recovery time of back to back training days puts you right back to square one.

Ask your Doctor!

I suggest you talk to your Doctor and actually follow their advice - not try to work around their advice.

You must know that they weren't telling you to simply swap from one kind of stress to another?
    If your Doctor said drink less whisky for your health you wouldn't just switch to vodka.

If you have to eat a bit less then eat a bit less.

I agree it would be worth checking with them, as it sounds like what you are trying to do is replace one form of activity with another, thereby remaining as active as you were before. It doesnt sound like that was the intention of reducing cardio to reduce stress on your body...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    If you're NOT recovering, that's usually the reason. REST is just as important as training. If the body has no chance to recover, then you're going to suffer. TONE DOWN somewhere meaning lessen the intensity. I train 7 days a week, but most of my cardio is moderate walking. 3 days I week I'll interval train with sprints. The other days I train one body part a day weight training for about 25-30 max.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you're NOT recovering, that's usually the reason. REST is just as important as training. If the body has no chance to recover, then you're going to suffer. TONE DOWN somewhere meaning lessen the intensity. I train 7 days a week, but most of my cardio is moderate walking. 3 days I week I'll interval train with sprints. The other days I train one body part a day weight training for about 25-30 max.

This. I do something 7 days a week. I do not do everything 7 days a week. On my minimum days I get as upset for exceeding my established limits as I do on my full effort days for not hitting my mark.

I made the mistake of not resting enough. My body cried foul and it was very unpleasant.

Rest is required.
  • zfitgal
    Options

Ask your Doctor!

I suggest you talk to your Doctor and actually follow their advice - not try to work around their advice.

You must know that they weren't telling you to simply swap from one kind of stress to another?
    If your Doctor said drink less whisky for your health you wouldn't just switch to vodka.

I agree it would be worth checking with them, as it sounds like what you are trying to do is replace one form of activity with another, thereby remaining as active as you were before. It doesnt sound like that was the intention of reducing cardio to reduce stress on your body...

The Reason my doctor told me to stop cardio was because my blood showed that I had a low T3, low insulin, low HDL and I was low in some vitamins as well. She told me that my cardio was burning my glucose too fast causing me to be slightly hypoglycemic. I was curious if I can do more weight training and be ok? I have been ha ing issues with my weight for a bit and I want to lose what I have put on...i have a bunch of supplements I need to take and she told me I need to add more fats...
  • pfeiferlindsey
    pfeiferlindsey Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Ask your Doctor!

The Reason my doctor told me to stop cardio was because my blood showed that I had a low T3, low insulin, low HDL and I was low in some vitamins as well. She told me that my cardio was burning my glucose too fast causing me to be slightly hypoglycemic. I was curious if I can do more weight training and be ok? I have been ha ing issues with my weight for a bit and I want to lose what I have put on...i have a bunch of supplements I need to take and she told me I need to add more fats...

When exercise starts affecting your health, then you really need to rely on your doctor's advice. No one on here can answer if you'll be "okay" if you up the weight training. That needs to be another conversation with your doctor. Does he know you're a self-proclaimed fitness fanatic? Could it be that they said to cut out the cardio for now but didn't replace it with something else because they knew you'd overdo the "something else"?

After my gallbladder surgery, I was told 6 weeks of nothing but walking. My doctor knew my fitness level with group classes, running, etc. and said "no" when I asked about yoga. He knew I'd take it further than what I should and potentially injure myself.

Please, listen to your doctor and ask more questions if you aren't sure. If you don't trust your doctor's advice, get a second opinion.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hi everyone...

I have to stop doing cardio for a bit...my system is a bit out of whack. Im currently doing g 3 days a weel of weights and 3 days a week of cardio. Now that om dropping the cardio i am going to add three more days of weight training, so that will be a total of 6 days a week. Unfortunately my thyroid and stress hormones are a bit all over the place and I need to take it down a notch to rebalance them. I jave put on weight out of no where and I biebe my metabolism has slown down as well. My Dr. said that cardio puts to much stress on my body right now...i was wondering if I was to make sure to take 10 thousand steps a day plus the weight training would that be enough to keep my calories at lightly active still?

You don't NEED to get 10 K steps per day. When I'm digging in my garden I'm getting a lot of activity, but very few steps. However, in your case, it might benefit you to swap high impact cardio with low impact, like walking. Discuss with your doctor.

Also, "lightly active" refers to your job, not exercise. You're supposed to log your exercise separately (or if you have an activity tracker, let it log your exercise.)

7vdue5bvawfq.jpg

Like others, I suggest you discuss this with your doctor, and perhaps ask for a referral to a physical therapist.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Find your balance.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Find your balance.

This! I always prioritized cardio and always had to do more bc my body would adapt. I was running 4 miles a day on top of a 5 day split for lifting. The running was too much stress on my body as well. My thyroid levels were down, cycle got wonky, insomnia was in full effect. Once gyms opened and the mask mandate was in place, I replaced the running with walking 3 miles on the treadmill, and made lifting a priority. My body responded very well. I lost a bit and I’m in a really good place with my body composition and health. It’s hard to slow it down when for years I always had to do so much. Good luck.