Please help me troubleshoot my weight gain

Short version: I have loads to load - like 60lbs and I started off fine, lost 10 or 12 lbs right away. Great. But now not only did I stop losing but I've also gained 4 back even though I've not changed anything.

I have tried eating much less per day (500 calories) and tried eating more (1500) but nothing is working. I'm tripping and have no idea what is going on. When I lost initially I was at about 1100-1200 daily.

I already know that eating MORE is just going to toss it on faster because I did the 1500 calorie day and that's pretty much what set off this chain of gaining little by little all week long. I'm on a streak now this week of about a half pound a day for no apparent reason.

Also notable: I have an injury I'm nursing so the gym is out right now. I haven't been since I started again but have been doing some light stuff at home since I lost the initial little bit which you'd think would work in my favor not defeat me.

Any thoughts? Ideas? I'm not the greatest at this, I guess. I'm trying hard but just out of my league here.

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    edited September 2020
    Water weight from inflammation due to injury will add weight on the scale.

In terms of your intake: are you using a food scale? I'd recommend it. Eat AT LEAST 1500 [edited because I looked at your profile, and you're male] calories per day but preferably, set up your food diary settings with a realistic activity level and let MFP set your goal. Eat at that level for at least a month, and then assess. Choose database entries that match your food labels, and weigh portions - no eyeballing or measuring cups. And consider eating at maintenance while you heal. You need calories for healing.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Injury = water retention

Water retention = TEMPORARY weight gain

The scale may be up but it does not mean you have stopped losing fat weight. It just means that you cannot see the losses for now. If you are in a calorie deficit then trust the process and eventually the scale will fall by not only the water amount but the fat amount as well. It could take a few weeks though.

Also, if you are not banking calories for some reason you need to eat right around your entire calorie goal each day. If you went through the guided set-up properly then it should have your calorie deficit already built-in. Remember that while you are sedentary you need to be eating sedentary calories.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    There is no mention of time frames in your post so I don't know how long you've been at it. I am guessing that you're talking about a short period of time, possibly you saw a weight loss 1 week and then did not in the 2nd week?

Weight loss takes time and patience. When you were gaining weight, did it happen overnight? Did you go from being normal weight to 60 pounds overweight in 4-6 weeks? Probably not.

Eat 1500-1800 calories daily. (Because you are male, and 1500 is the minimum recommended level to get adequate nutrition.) Make sure to get plenty of protein. Follow doctors orders regarding your injury. Accurately & honestly log your food and anything else that you consume. Do this for 30 days. If you weigh less in 30 days than you do now: its obviously working. If you happen to weigh more on day 15 than you did on day 13, that is NOT important.

Try not to compare weighins to each other if they are close together. Instead compare monthly to see a trend. In a short period of time, your weight fluctuates a lot due to water weight changes. It cane be up due to stress, lack of sleep, excessive sodium, excessive carbs and muscle/bodily repair. You mentioned an injury: that is likely a source of temporary water gain. It is not possible for you to gain fat eating at a low calorie level. And if the weight gained is not fat, then its not permanent or important.

Don't give up!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,740 Member
    It sounds as if you are changing your food intake regularly. That's really not a good idea, as this will increase water weight fluctuations and fluctuations in food waste in your digestive system, making it impossible to judge what's working.
    Of course you will gain weight if you switch from 500 to 1500 calories, you'll have more food waste in your system and more water weight from increased carbs, that doesn't mean you're gaining fat.

You need to pick a calorie goal and stick with it for at least a month. Short term weight changes are due to fluctuations in water weight, food waste etc. And fat loss is something that you can see only when looking at a longer term trend.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Water weight from inflammation due to injury will add weight on the scale.

In terms of your intake: are you using a food scale? I'd recommend it. Eat AT LEAST 1500 [edited because I looked at your profile, and you're male] calories per day but preferably, set up your food diary settings with a realistic activity level and let MFP set your goal. Eat at that level for at least a month, and then assess. Choose database entries that match your food labels, and weigh portions - no eyeballing or measuring cups. And consider eating at maintenance while you heal. You need calories for healing.

Use a food scale for sure!!! You could be eating more than you think. Maybe if you opened your diary so we can see what a typical day is like.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,286 Member
    edited September 2020
    Weight loss isn’t a steady downward graphic. It’s more like a set of jagged mountain highlands, gently coming down to the plains.

Injuries can cause quite a bit of water gain. Your body retains and directs water to pain and injuries as a healing mechanism. I can easily put on several pounds after a different training routine, even with fairly mild tenderness.

Taking painkillers may cause water gain. Many are sodium based.

You have to be patient. Wildly flailing around for the next greatest “secret” isn’t going to give you data to compare to. And data rules in this game.

Weigh carefully. Use grams or convert. My food diary is open. You’ll see all kinds of wierd entries like the “.04” loaf of no-knead bread I just entered with a fraction of a serving of peanut butter. Carefully weighed and converted to grams and %.

Log honestly. You don’t have to make your diary open. I do, because I like looking at friends’ diaries for ideas and thoughts and feel I owe it to them in return.

Above all, EAT. You are doing your body no favors whatsoever eating lower than the minimum daily. Not only can you cause permanent harm (hairlods, kidney and gallbladder problems, heart issues) but all that’s gonna happen is you will rebound violently in the other direction sooner rather than later.

Choose something reasonable and sustainable. A tortoise life plan. Not a hare (and hare brained ) quick weight loss scheme.