Fitness vs. Bodybuilding

After I complete my first goal of running my half-marathon, I want to then start a new long term goal of getting into competitive bodybuilding....many years ago, I had hired a trainer to do just that (an back when I had the physique to do it!! However, two deployments and three pregnancies -and 50 pounds- later derailed my competitive plans).

But now, I am wondering about the difference between 'figure' and 'bodybuilding'....Back when I was training, I was training for 'bodybuilding' not 'figure'....so I guess I don't know what the big difference is between the two and which would suit me....

If anybody out there has any experience with the two disciplines and would like to shed some light on the subject for me, I would greatly appreciate it....

Thanks!

Replies

• *bump*
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Well if we're talking competitive bodybuilding and figure for women it comes down to one thing................................competitive bodybuilders juice (steroids). Figure, Fitness and Bikini more than likely do not. That's why they still look like females and not like buffed males with wigs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Amanda-Latona-11.jpg

Ifbb Bikini pro Amanda latona

il_570xN.356477962_1va8.jpg

No 1 ranked ifbb figure pro Nicole Wilkins

womens-bodybuilding-iris-kyle.jpg

2012 and 2011 miss Olympia winner iris Kyle

That's the difference, how much muscle do you want

Btw lots of those figure girls are definitely using
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Woman's fitness competitors is similiar to the Swim Suit competetion in a beauty pagent. In Fitness there are a set of pre arranged poses. They are looking for a balanced physique that is super fit but not huge and bulky. you should be able to see a figure competetion on you tube. I knew a couple of woman who did this and it was alot of work and ALLOT of dieting. They worked out heard and get very toned and muscular but they did not get huge.

Womans Bodybuilding is very similiar to Mens Bodybuilding and the great majority of the women use steroids and HGH and other drugs to be able to gain the large amounts of muscle needed to be competetive. There are allot of documentaries on this and you can see a few of them on you tube.

Hope this helps!
  • Check the federation you intend competing in and look at photo's of past results. The requirements for different categories can vary from fed to fed.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Don't know the answer to your question, but thank you for your service to our country.:flowerforyou:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    In just to +1 Hendrix (without all the pics) that size doesn't prove lack of use, they are very effective for achieving the figure and fitness looks.