Misfit shine?

Has anyone got one? I am interested in it because I was looking at the fitbit and other things but they are not waterproof and the misfit shine is. I want to be able to swim with it so thinking it might be the solution. Yet I know it is new, etc.

Anyone with experience using this tracker? Thoughts?

Replies

• orlickg
    orlickg Posts: 4 Member
    My wife and I both got one. I have a Nike Fuel Band and a Fitbit Flex. Favorite device is the Shine by far. Best design, battery life, comfort and upside potential. What I wear: Fitbit Flex mainly for the integration with myfitnesspal. If Shine adds that hands down the winner. I wore both them all to compare and they all have bugs depending on if you wear it on your dominate hand or not. I hate the battery life of the Fitbit Flex, I have to charge it every 4 days. Just remember with the Shine it is a work in progress but they have already pushed one update out and I have only had it a month.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    I have one, first activity tracker I've ever had. It is so easy, even my tech challenged hubby can use it. When it will synch with MFP, that will be awesome. For now, I just subtract what MFP says is my daily baseline from the calories the Shine says I burned and manually add it as a created exercise. I wear it in the shower, while doing dishes, etc and have never had any issues with it.
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    My wife and I both got one. I have a Nike Fuel Band and a Fitbit Flex. Favorite device is the Shine by far. Best design, battery life, comfort and upside potential. What I wear: Fitbit Flex mainly for the integration with myfitnesspal. If Shine adds that hands down the winner. I wore both them all to compare and they all have bugs depending on if you wear it on your dominate hand or not. I hate the battery life of the Fitbit Flex, I have to charge it every 4 days. Just remember with the Shine it is a work in progress but they have already pushed one update out and I have only had it a month.

Thanks! It definitely seems the most interesting one to me, especially given that I want to swim with it. Any info I can get on it is appreciated. It doesn't have nearly as much press or a following as the others...but it definitely seems like it is better.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,159 Member
    Has anyone got one? I am interested in it because I was looking at the fitbit and other things but they are not waterproof and the misfit shine is. I want to be able to swim with it so thinking it might be the solution. Yet I know it is new, etc.

No experience with the Shine, but it does look promising. However, the Fitbit Flex is waterproof for 10 meters. I shower with it on and have been in the pool this summer and have had no problems.
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member

No experience with the Shine, but it does look promising. However, the Fitbit Flex is waterproof for 10 meters. I shower with it on and have been in the pool this summer and have had no problems.

Oh! That is helpful. Ok, now it is btw the Shine and the Fitbit!
  • spinnc
    spinnc Posts: 8 Member
    I have a MIsfit Shine that I've had for 3 weeks or so, a BasisWatch since the first shipping of the watch last November & a Fibtit Ultra I've had for a couple of years.

I am wearing the Basis and the Fitbit right now. I would be wearing the Shine, but I washed my hands while wearing it, and I must have gotten one that was defective b/c the battery quit & there was water inside.

Misfit Shine- haven't been impressed. Neither have a bunch of people on their Facebook page. The clip is flimsy, the sport band is flimsy & I almost lost it once when someone bumped into me in the grocery store. Contrary to what they say, the thing scratches easily. It does sync wirelessly (iphone only I think), the informaiton is ok. There's also no community, and no support other than a few questions on their site. No web interface if you want to look at your data over time. doesn't sync with MFP or any other apps yet.

Basis Watch- Syncs wirelessly (I don't know about android). App is boring. Web dashboard is ok. You can pick habits to try to stick with, but they aren't editable. There is also no way to add notes. Customer service isn't great either. Currently, it's not accurately tracking steps. I cut the yard yesterday for 45 minutes and it gave me 800 steps. Nope. Not accurate. I'm also unsure about the heart rate tracking. It isn't in real time, I think it grabs it once an hour or something. Doesnt' sync with MFP or other yet.

Fitbit- I have the old one so it doesn't sync wirelessly , but they got that figured out with the Fitbit One and Flex and probably that wrist thing, but I keep seeing blogposts about the inaccuracy of the wrist one. Good app, good dashboard, good community, good customer support. The Fitbit gets lost/damaged due to user error most of the time- I wear mine BFC (bra front & center) and I threw it in the wash once. I emailed Customer Service to ask if they had a Fitbit replacement program (I could have provided proof of purchase but they can see how much activity I've logged and for how long)-they sent me a new one free of charge, no shipping costs. This kid I work with has lost his twice and they've replaced it twice. Syncs with multiple things, including MFP.

So, right now, my Basis shows I've walked 1688 steps and burned 1239 calories. The last time it took my pulse it registered 90 (I did a fast paced walk about 45 minutes ago). The Fitbit shows 1916 steps and a calorie burn of 984. I'm guessing the Basis takes my HR into consideration. I'd need to sync both of them to determine whether or not it shows my 15 min walk as activity.

When I'm asked by friends or family about trackers, I just tell them to stick with the Fitbit for now-I think the Flex is about 60 bucks. Once Basis makes improvements to the dashboard and the app, it might take a lead. I'm not sure about the Shine. I Indiegogo's the Shine and preordered the Basis after CES in 2012, so I didn't really have to search for reviews. Check out their respective Facebook pages to hear what everyone is saying.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have.

Edited b/c I went back and read my other posts. LIke most people, I loved the Basis for the first couple of months. I quit wearing it and just started back up again to compare all three. This time around, the Fitbit still wins, the Basis is a lagging second and the Misfit Shine doesn't even come in to play.