A small victory- 0lbs lost on more calories, but muscle gained

Options
Weighed in today, end of week 4 out of a 20 week program. My weight is the same as when I started. Most people would see this as failure or disappointment. It's not. My first phase is a reverse diet phase that includes weight training and moderate cardio (4 days a week for 30 min) I'm consuming on average 600 calories more a day, im eating 140 grams of carbs a day, where in the past I ate under 50, if that. I'm building back my metabolism. I'm building muscle. I'm changing the way I think about food, "diet" and exercise.
In the past I under ate and over exercised. I lost weight in the short term, but long term it led me to yoyo dieting and an increase in weight, about 40 lbs. I ran ultra marathons and my weight increased. It wasn't sustainable. What I've learned over the last 4 weeks is food is not my enemy, carbs are not my enemy. I've eaten more calories and carbs than I have in years and haven't gained a single pound, but I've increased my muscle mass. In the photo you can see the muscle starting to form. Staying the same weight was a win for me this month.

Replies

• lorimiller18
    lorimiller18 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Aug. 31 top pic, Sept 26 bottom post
  • jiujitsudad15118
    jiujitsudad15118 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    That’s awesome!!!!!! Wow!!
  • lorimiller18
    Options
    I dont think I uploaded pictures properly, l. Having issues @ but thank you!
  • jiujitsudad15118
    Options
    I can see it! You just gotta click on it
  • lorimiller18
    Options
    Okay! Thank you!!
  • jiujitsudad15118
    Options
    You’re welcome!!!
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    The photos are great, and congratulations on you progress!
  • garbanzos4me
    garbanzos4me Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    very encouraging AND HELPFUL for those trying to build muscle, while losing fat that the actual result shown in pounds on the scale DOESN'T NECESSARILY reflect true progress... You are proof of that; WOW! I have similar goal, and am older (sigh) so building muscle is even more difficult, though I've been doing moderate lifting, and band work, combined with sedentary biking, Total Gym and run/walks in the park for cardio calorie burn off. My first month I hardly lost weight but FELT myself getting tighter, more compact, and even took a pic from the same perspective as your shots, LOL... I too can see progress, and FINALLY after 52 days, I've lost 9lbs, but it felt SLOW -- and I've been largely disciplined and staying within my 1200/day. I think we can often TELL by how we FEEL in our changing bodies, whether our approach is working or not... I've found pix to be the best confirmation, though I resisted before 'n afters for YEARS, for a variety of reasons. But this time I'm taking them very 3-4 weeks when I remember, because I think we DO lose track of how we are VISIBLY changing. Thanks again for sharing; it's just what I needed -- confirmation and encouragement to stay on the path and not loose faith...YOU LOOK GREAT, btw :)
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    definitely tell in the pics!
  • lorimiller18
    Options
    very encouraging AND HELPFUL for those trying to build muscle, while losing fat that the actual result shown in pounds on the scale DOESN'T NECESSARILY reflect true progress... You are proof of that; WOW! I have similar goal, and am older (sigh) so building muscle is even more difficult, though I've been doing moderate lifting, and band work, combined with sedentary biking, Total Gym and run/walks in the park for cardio calorie burn off. My first month I hardly lost weight but FELT myself getting tighter, more compact, and even took a pic from the same perspective as your shots, LOL... I too can see progress, and FINALLY after 52 days, I've lost 9lbs, but it felt SLOW -- and I've been largely disciplined and staying within my 1200/day. I think we can often TELL by how we FEEL in our changing bodies, whether our approach is working or not... I've found pix to be the best confirmation, though I resisted before 'n afters for YEARS, for a variety of reasons. But this time I'm taking them very 3-4 weeks when I remember, because I think we DO lose track of how we are VISIBLY changing. Thanks again for sharing; it's just what I needed -- confirmation and encouragement to stay on the path and not loose faith...YOU LOOK GREAT, btw :)

Thank you! I have to send my trainer pics end if every week, and I dread it every time. I hated the 40lbs I put on, and pucs are the ultimate reality check. I turn 46 this month and I knew I had to be serious about getting in shape because we lose so much muscle as we age. And it doesn't get easier! Thank you! Yes, just stay the course and trust the process!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I am all about the maths and the figures, so if you are on roughly 1500 per day now and eating 600 cals more, you were on 900 cals per day and less than 50 carbs? Also, just curious, what do you weigh now? Were you logging accurately and are you logging accurately now...

The changes are visible and much kudos, just want some clarification on the numbers....
  • lorimiller18
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    I am all about the maths and the figures, so if you are on roughly 1500 per day now and eating 600 cals more, you were on 900 cals per day and less than 50 carbs? Also, just curious, what do you weigh now? Were you logging accurately and are you logging accurately now...

The changes are visible and much kudos, just want some clarification on the numbers....

I started Aug. 31, 2020 - 150.3 lbs
    Before that- 1- 3 days of cardio 45-90 min
    OMAD, IF, KETOVORE/Carnivore for 2 years.
    I ate under 1200 calories/ day most days. Some days I'd do 36-48 hour fasts. For almost a year I did OMAD 80%. Meals would consist of a steak. I ate 0 vegetables or fruit most of the time. Sometimes I would have avocado or zucchini. I also ate eggs. My steaks ran around 600-1000 calories each, depending on my cut- rib eye or new york. If I ate a lower fat cut, I added avocado. I would go days with under 25 carbs/day, i was strict Carnivore for a long time.

Present- 150.5 lbs
    1655 cal/day 140g carbs, 150g protein, 55g fat, 25 g fiber
    4 days cardio 30 min. Each. 130-140 bpm
    + 8000 steps daily (some days I don't hit that goal)
    4 days weights - 2 days upper, 2 days lower takes me about 30 minutes to get each workout completed, 10 reps, 3 sets each exercise.

Before- I logged accurately- I weighed my meat. Its not difficult when you're Carnivore. Steak, chicken, salmon.
    Now- I log accurately as well. I eat a variety as long as I stay within my macros.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Another stupid question, as someone else is bound to ask, how tall are you?

I am still struggling to see how you are not losing weight/fat on those calories and exercise/activity, but recomposition is not a bad thing. But 1600 ish cals being maintenance?
  • lorimiller18
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Another stupid question, as someone else is bound to ask, how tall are you?

I am still struggling to see how you are not losing weight/fat on those calories and exercise/activity, but recomposition is not a bad thing. But 1600 ish cals being maintenance?

Not a stupid question. I'm 5'0" tall. My maintenance is 1655, and it may increase depending on how my body evolves and responds. My trainer and his team specialize in reverse dieting and repairing the metabolism. This is my first phase. It involves setting my metabolism at higher calories, building muscle, setting a routine, getting use to meal preps etc. Once that's established we will go into the fat loss stage. It's a 20 week plan. I couldn't lose weight at those low calories because I destroyed my metabolism. Doing one cardio session for 90 minutes in a week isn't much. And I did no weight training. The 40's can do strange things to your body, especially women. Things that worked in the past (hours of cardio, eating little) stop working for some of us.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!