Is it bad?

Options
Is it bad to workout two times a day? Cardio and then weight training legs and glutes. Also, how often do you train glutes to see a difference? Thank you!!

Replies

• ErickM5500
    ErickM5500 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No working out 2x a day is not bad, many athletes do this some even 3x a day. You do however need to be careful you don’t under recover meaning you track your sleep as much as your workouts, you replenish electrolytes as well as vitamins and minerals.
    Remember body building and cardio often times don’t mix. If you want a tighter, firm behind cardio can help but if size is what you are looking for I would limit the amount of cardio to a 1/4 of your overall workout. If you work out 4 hours only one should be cardio based.
    Your glutes are pretty big muscles so you can work them often without fear of injury but I would still recommend working one muscle group 2x a week max to allow that muscle group to properly recover
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's about a good or bad situation per se but more of WHY? Is there a particular reason you'd want or need to break up the two into two different sessions and times?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There isn't a single universal answer for everybody and every exercise.

Not enough info given for your particular circumstances!

"Cardio" has a huge range of duration and intensity - it really doesn't give much of a clue what you are actually doing.

People have a huge range of capability, you haven't mentioned anything about yourself.

Two times a day sometimes or everyday? How does it fit in your overall routine?

e.g. 2-a-days aren't uncommon for me but my cardio is often of a duration and intensity that means training legs again same day wouldn't be a great idea. I might do 2+hours of hard cycling and upper body strength training in the same day and perform well and recover well from both. But a hard ride would compromise lower body strength training the same day for me and interfere with recovering from the ride.
    On the other hand I could do a gentle ride and train legs in the gym effectively on the same day or in the same exercise session.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,620 Member
    Options
    If it overtaxes your current level of fitness, or interferes with adequate recovery, it's bad.

If it causes poor life balance (not enough time or energy for family, job, home chores, other things important to you), it's bad.

If it makes you enjoy your life meaningfully less, it might be bad.

If none of those, it's good.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How often?