Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

A brave new world.

Hello everybody.

I’m taking a big step here.

I’m approaching my 60s and undertaking a self-induced programme to lose a good bit of weight (currently 84kg needing to get to 72kg) for obvious health and fitness reasons. I’ve been doing this on my own so far (with the support of my wife) but have recently plateaued in both weight and the dedication of effort and so looking to push myself a little further via public accountability. After all, why struggle alone when you can share with and learn from others. So there you have it. Looking forward to seeing how things go and learning from you all. Thank you in advance.

Be healthy. Stay safe.

Gary

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Hello everybody.

I’m taking a big step here.

I’m approaching my 60s and undertaking a self-induced programme to lose a good bit of weight (currently 84kg needing to get to 72kg) for obvious health and fitness reasons. I’ve been doing this on my own so far (with the support of my wife) but have recently plateaued in both weight and the dedication of effort and so looking to push myself a little further via public accountability. After all, why struggle alone when you can share with and learn from others. So there you have it. Looking forward to seeing how things go and learning from you all. Thank you in advance.

Be healthy. Stay safe.

Gary

Obvious health and fitness reasons work for as motivating goals for a a lot fewer people than one would think. I think it works less on people who have carried their weight for a really long time as I did. I lost the ability to even imagine what my life would be like at a more appropriate weight. This is really bizarre to me now because my life is so fantastically better.

I relied on being motivated to live a happy life as I lost weight. That motivation requires no stoking. It is a natural state. I kept things as easy as I could for myself and reminded myself often that I wasn't doing anything herculean I was just eating slightly less food than I need each day. Of course that is different from eating less food than I may have originally wanted but the amount I want makes me fatter and miserable. Coming to grips with need vs want took awareness and maturity (I am middle aged so obviously I had areas where I was still a child). I can be mad that I don't need a buffet of food but that gets me nowhere.

The other thing is that even with all that there are mountains and valleys to this process. I have at times felt fatigued and all I really needed was a break to eat my maintenance calories for a couple of weeks.

How long have you been plateaued? Some people use that term prematurely. I often went 3 weeks with little to no movement on the scale and then it all caught up.