Intuitive Eating for Weight Loss

For several months postpartum, I was eating intuitively and losing weight.
But for the past two months I’ve been more meticulous in counting calories to actually lose weight and though I have lost a decent amount, I’m kind of at a point where my weight is kind of at a stand still and I feel like maybe it would get moving again if I didn’t focus SO much on calories.
I’m just not sure if I should go back to intuitive eating or not or keep working at just counting my calories.
I have about 6 more lbs to lose and so I know the closer you are to your goal, the more detailed and mindful you have to be.

Just curious if anyone has actually had better results with simply intuitive eating to reach their goal weight or if counting calories is really the best bet.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Intuitive eating only works for me if my food choices are for the vast part higher volume/lower calorie and I have very little (if any) hyper-palatable foods available.

So I need to either not be doing the cooking or not have access to American supermarkets/takeout.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited September 2020
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If intuitive eating was accurate, then we wouldn't have a weight issue in the US. Math doesn't lie. I have so many people tell me they don't eat bad. Then we sit down and count actual calories and they get surprised at how much they really consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This. Exactly right. I will count calories no matter what. A few extra cashews for example, can add 50 to 100 calories. It is amazing how fast things can add up. Weighing food has been so freeing for me. Im able to incorporate foods, like nuts and seeds, without having too much and stopping weight loss and maitensnce goals. Plus I like the accountability and its very informative the longer I do it.
  • MamaOne13
    MamaOne13 Posts: 66 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    With 6 lbs to lose you need to be MORE mindful of calories, not less. With so little left, you probably won’t even see .5 lb a week losses.

My husband got to the last 8 lbs and decided that he didn’t want to lose them that badly as he didn’t want to further restrict himself. So, it’s ok to decide that +6 lbs is fine. If those 6 lbs are really bothering you, maybe some body recomp if you aren’t already doing that?

How do you do body recomp? It’s been so long I’m so clueless with this stuff 😅
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    MamaOne13 wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    With 6 lbs to lose you need to be MORE mindful of calories, not less. With so little left, you probably won’t even see .5 lb a week losses.

My husband got to the last 8 lbs and decided that he didn’t want to lose them that badly as he didn’t want to further restrict himself. So, it’s ok to decide that +6 lbs is fine. If those 6 lbs are really bothering you, maybe some body recomp if you aren’t already doing that?

How do you do body recomp? It’s been so long I’m so clueless with this stuff 😅
    Eating at maintenance or a very slight deficit and progressive overload weight training. Recomp takes time though due to so little deficit or surplus. If one gains a pound of muscle in a few months, that would good progress.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This 😊. If you are a super newbie to weight lifting though, you might get some decent gains in the beginning before moving into the watching paint dry recomp status that many people find themselves in
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    I will second the recomp suggestion, I am currently at the highest weight I have ever been and look the best I’ve ever looked, plus can eat more than I used to! This is due to lifting using progressive overload.

I think whether you should eat intuitively or strictly track is up to you and your personality. Some people can get very obsessive or anxious when they track everything to the gram and do better with a more relaxed approach and just focusing on reducing portions instead. I personally like to track everything it is more accurate and works best for me. Good luck !
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2020
    Sound like if you've hit a plateau and want to lose more, it would be best to keep tracking. Either way you still have to eat less/ move more to lose weight, so unless it stresses you out hugely, tracking is the easiest way to ensure you're doing that successfully.