Calorie Counter

Message Boards Recipes
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Calorie deficit meals on a budget

wbhanouskawbhanouska Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
in Recipes
I’m a single mum trying to lose those extra pounds! Currently 165pounds and was hoping to get some ideas for healthy low calorie meals that are great when on a budget! Hopefully this can help some others out also. Just looking for inspiration and to mix things up a little bit, also feel free to add me!

Replies

• TeaBeaTeaBea Member Posts: 14,344 Member Member Posts: 14,344 Member
    Cheap protein sources - Tuna, chicken, milk, cottage cheese, beans and eggs.

Oats, potatoes and frozen veggies are inexpensive, "Healthy" is a really vague term. It seems everyone has a different opinion.

I like stuffed pepper soup: https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/stuffed-green-pepper-soup

I don't like to use Campbell's tomato soup though (too sweet). I just throw in a 15 can of tomato sauce and a half teaspoon of basil.
  • gallicinvasiongallicinvasion Member, Premium Posts: 1,005 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,005 Member
    Some helpful things:

Buy veggies in-season (sometimes community-supported-agriculture food boxes are really affordable)
    Develop skills in preserving food (freezer meals, pickling, canning)
    Buy meat in bulk when it’s on sale and freeze it in 1 or 2 lb portions
    Dried rice/beans/legumes are super affordable and nutrition-dense, and can really allow you to stretch your meals (allowing you to use less meat)
    Instead of buying pre-portioned snacks, buy in bulk and portion them out yourself when you get home
    Buy your most commonly-uses spices in bulk

Budgetbytes.com is a super awesome site that has a ton of delicious recipes that were all developed with the goal of keeping them low-cost. They’re also easy to portio and adjust to keep within your calorie goals.
    edited September 28
  • ehju0901ehju0901 Member Posts: 72 Member Member Posts: 72 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Cheap protein sources - Tuna, chicken, milk, cottage cheese, beans and eggs.

Oats, potatoes and frozen veggies are inexpensive, "Healthy" is a really vague term. It seems everyone has a different opinion.

I like stuffed pepper soup: https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/stuffed-green-pepper-soup

I don't like to use Campbell's tomato soup though (too sweet). I just throw in a 15 can of tomato sauce and a half teaspoon of basil.

Oooh, that recipe sounds good! I think I'll be trying that one out!
  • busyPKbusyPK Member Posts: 3,690 Member Member Posts: 3,690 Member
    The best thing you can do is get a $10 food scale and weigh out your food. Lots of people lose weight by simply eating less of what they did before. Shop the sales each week at your local grocery store helps.
  • muszyngrmuszyngr Member Posts: 186 Member Member Posts: 186 Member
    what works for me is on Sunday night I will hard boil 5 eggs, let the pot just sit on the stove when done over night (just not in the summer) then in the morning dry them put them in the fridge, and each morning just have one egg with salt and a cup of coffee, I am a grown man weight 195 lbs and that is just fine and filling for breakfast, we really do not need to eat that much, also since you don't fry it there is no additional fats from butter or oils and it is super easy to prep, just peel an egg, ha ha

on weekends don't eat breakfast but do brunch (@ 11:00am) and dinner (@ 7:00pm)

remember the easiest calories to burn are the ones you never put in your mouth in the first place, if you are over weight, skipping a meal won't kill you, so that's the cheapest way you can handle a meal
  • AshHeartsJesusAshHeartsJesus Member Posts: 190 Member Member Posts: 190 Member
    Girl find a discount store or aldi. If none of those are an option learn your prices in your stores and shop sales like crazy. Youtube frugal meals and portion control with what you can afford.
    Mama of 5 here not single, but hubby works long hours and I do most of the cooking food choices for our babies. Sooo with that said here are some ideas
    Crockpot whole chicken with baked sweet potato and applesauce
    Baked chicken legs, broccoli, fruit on sale
    Chicken tacos, taco rice for kiddos, applesauce
    Homemade sloppy joes with veggies of choice
    Soup with homemade bread or grilled cheese
    Baked Potato with butter and cheese and another veggie
    Brinner of what you want homemade is key to controlling ingredients
  • dzerfasdzerfas Member Posts: 4 Member Member Posts: 4 Member
    Lean carnitas: Pork tenderloin or center cut loin in crock pot with sliced onions and peppers, can of chipotle in adobo and juice of 2 limes. Shred it when it's done and put under broiler for a few minutes to get it crisp although it's good as is. Can serve as tacos, over rice or lettuce.
  • macandcheesefanaticmacandcheesefanatic Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member
    wbhanouska wrote: »
    I’m a single mum trying to lose those extra pounds! Currently 165pounds and was hoping to get some ideas for healthy low calorie meals that are great when on a budget! Hopefully this can help some others out also. Just looking for inspiration and to mix things up a little bit, also feel free to add me!

I've been doing chia seed pudding in the morning, cheap and easy to make the night before.