Apple Watch Monthly Activity Badge - What is your goal?

Options
I’m fascinated by Apple’s customized monthly activity goals and how they change over time. My goal for June (first full month with the watch) was to meet my daily stand goal 15 times, July was 940 minutes of exercise, August was to walk/run 150 miles and last month it was to get 2,000 minutes of exercise.

My October goal is to double my active calories goal 11 times!

My husband’s goals are always different than mine so I’m curious what goals everyone else has. Can you share what your September and October goals where? Did you meet your September goal? Do you find the goals motivating (I sure do!)

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Mine get ridiculous. September my badge was for just under 330 miles of walking. I did not even try for it but I got close.

August wasn't so bad it just asked me to double my move goal 20 times I got it.
    July and this month are the same and it is asking me to hit all 3 goals everyday. That should not be a problem. I think I get that one when I fail to get the previous month. June asked for 3200ish hours of exercise which was too much.

I have complained to them that there goals need to be set on a six day not seven day calculation to allow for a rest day but, of course, I am just one random customer and probably one of very few that earn so much one month that it sets unattainable goals for other months.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Oh and I found them motivating until they got so absurd I realized that even trying would be unhealthy. Now if I earn the badge it is just because my habits lined up not because I really try.

So be careful.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Oh and I found them motivating until they got so absurd I realized that even trying would be unhealthy. Now if I earn the badge it is just because my habits lined up not because I really try.

So be careful.

Yeah, challenging is good but I can easily see them getting insane as I continue to work on being more active. The 2,000 minutes of exercise was challenging but doable, but that was an average of 66 minutes a day all month. I can’t do much more than that and still have balance in my life.

• M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    In August my challenge was to close my move ring 25 times - I got it. In September I didn't even try, it wanted me to do nearly two hours of exercise daily - I just haven't got the time or energy to, and I like to have some rest days. In October, my challenge is to close my move ring 27 times.
  • buniphuphu
    buniphuphu Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    In August, my goal was to reach my daily exercise goal 8 times. In September, my goal was to burn 20,701 calories (not sure where they came up with that figure). In October, I have to walk or run 19.2 miles.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    September goal was to get 200% of my move goal 5 times. That's a lot so I didn't even come close. This month is log 10 exercises. That one I will accomplish!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Just checked. Mine is to close my exercise ring 16 times this month. I run 3X a week most weeks so might be a bit hard but we'll see...

September was: Earn 376 exercise minutes. August was: Close all 3 activity rings 13 times. Got those 2 so hopefully can get October!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    buniphuphu wrote: »
    In August, my goal was to reach my daily exercise goal 8 times. In September, my goal was to burn 20,701 calories (not sure where they came up with that figure). In October, I have to walk or run 19.2 miles.

I think most of the goals are a slight increase from something you have already done. During the spring I did a huge amount of work in my yard and my numbers went through the roof. Since then it has been trying to abuse me.

In August I walked for 304.3 miles so the 330ish Sept goal was a percentage increase. I do not remember the exact number of the goal since I didn't earn it and I chose to ignore it once I saw how unreasonable it was. I did walk for 301.9 miles in September which means I did walk slightly more than August because it was one less day but it was not enough for their badge.
  • NovusDies
    edited October 2020
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    Just checked. Mine is to close my exercise ring 16 times this month. I run 3X a week most weeks so might be a bit hard but we'll see...

September was: Earn 376 exercise minutes. August was: Close all 3 activity rings 13 times. Got those 2 so hopefully can get October!

Beyond the 30 minutes to close my ring each day I do not care how much more I get. It is the move calories that matter. However, when I first started I noticed that it could be quite stingy with the exercise credit. Now I can close my ring pretty easily and like right now I have 102 minutes of exercise and a fair portion of that was chores around the yard.

What seems to work for me is that it needs to get my accurate resting HR and to do that I need to wear it for a few hours a few nights a week while sleeping. I put in on the charger when I go to bed. If I wake in the middle of the night to visit the restroom, which is a regular thing now cuz of the oldness, I just put my watch back on.
  • azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    Options

Beyond the 30 minutes to close my ring each day I do not care how much more I get. It is the move calories that matter. However, when I first started I noticed that it could be quite stingy with the exercise credit. Now I can close my ring pretty easily and like right now I have 102 minutes of exercise and a fair portion of that was chores around the yard.

What seems to work for me is that it needs to get my accurate resting HR and to do that I need to wear it for a few hours a few nights a week while sleeping. I put in on the charger when I go to bed. If I wake in the middle of the night to visit the restroom, which is a regular thing now cuz of the oldness, I just put my watch back on.

I have trouble with it counting exercise. I went for a 50 minute trail bike ride and I averaged a HR in the 150s and I was only awarded 20 minutes of exercise. I am going to try to wear it for a few nights and see if that makes a difference.
  • ALZ14
    Options
    azkunk wrote: »

I have trouble with it counting exercise. I went for a 50 minute trail bike ride and I averaged a HR in the 150s and I was only awarded 20 minutes of exercise. I am going to try to wear it for a few nights and see if that makes a difference.

Did you start a workout on the watch? Is the band tight enough? Seems odd that it would catch less than half of the exercise minutes.

I only walk (so far) for exercise, if I stroll I don’t get credit for exercise, I have to go at a decent pace.
  • azkunk
    Options
    I am just starting to get active so my challenges seem pretty easy in comparison

Sept Challenge was 280 exercise minutes

Oct Challenge is 80.2 miles walking

My question is what is your move goal and do you change it every time it’s suggested to change?
  • ALZ14
    Options
    I am just starting to get active so my challenges seem pretty easy in comparison

My question is what is your move goal and do you change it every time it’s suggested to change?

My goal is only 350 and I’ve increased it once. I wanted to keep everything reasonable because I have a goal to close all of my rings every day for the whole month. I’m trying to strike a balance between increasing my activity but keeping the goals reachable at the same time. So 350 active calories, 30 minutes exercise and 12 stand hours.

I usually burn 500ish Active calories a day so I could increase it, but after awhile I would get really burned out.
  • azkunk
    Options
    ALZ14 wrote: »

My goal is only 350 and I’ve increased it once. I wanted to keep everything reasonable because I have a goal to close all of my rings every day for the whole month. I’m trying to strike a balance between increasing my activity but keeping the goals reachable at the same time. So 350 active calories, 30 minutes exercise and 12 stand hours.

I usually burn 500ish Active calories a day so I could increase it, but after awhile I would get really burned out.

Thanks. Mine is 370 and it says I average 474. I was wondering if I should up it more. But if I am in a challenge with another watch wearer the goals aren’t equal. Also, the higher it is, the harder it is too earn the double, triple and quadruple the goal badge. I’m just curious about the average goal.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    Agree wholeheartedly with @NovusDies

There’s something inherently wrong with how Apple creates the individual challenges. I try to close my move ring (300) at least three times a day, so I’m walking, exercising, moving around a fair amount.

On sept 15th I got a message saying I needed 3200 more exercise minutes to win an award for the month. That’s 3.55 hours a day. I usually come close, but that’s just ridiculous on any level. I intentionally backed down a little to give some aches and pains a break and to keep them from getting aggravated, so I didn’t meet this one. First time in months.

My October challenge is to burn 30,300 calories for the month, or 955 a day. I’ll probably meet that anyway but what’s next? 33,000? 4 hours a day?

I’m OCD enough for ten people (to wit, I had to back off Apple team Challenges for a while because I was committed to “perfect” months) but there’s people out there who are even worse than me and who are gonna hurt themselves reaping imaginary medals at Apple’s continuous prompting. Can you imagine the liability lawsuits eventually?

It’s my only real complaint about my beloved Apple gizmo.
  • NovusDies
    Options

Depends on you I think. I do not increase mine nor do I let it prompt me anymore. It is set at a medium level that I believe is a good minimum amount and one I can hit on rest days by mostly walking leisurely. Once I hit it on my active days I try to hit it again (200 percent badge). I am highly motivated now to hit the minimum because I have done it for 330 days. I also find that I am more relaxed and I enjoy getting more when I know my base requirement is done for the day.

Some people want to feel the pressure all day to do a big amount. If that works for them that is great. That would mean my streak would never be more than 6 days because I am absolutely not going to try to hit my active day goal on my rest day. Apple doesn't want you to rest EVER, which is the flaw in their design, but I work around it.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Agree wholeheartedly with @NovusDies

There’s something inherently wrong with how Apple creates the individual challenges. I try to close my move ring (300) at least three times a day, so I’m walking, exercising, moving around a fair amount.

On sept 15th I got a message saying I needed 3200 more exercise minutes to win an award for the month. That’s 3.55 hours a day. I usually come close, but that’s just ridiculous on any level. I intentionally backed down a little to give some aches and pains a break and to keep them from getting aggravated, so I didn’t meet this one. First time in months.

My October challenge is to burn 30,300 calories for the month, or 955 a day. I’ll probably meet that anyway but what’s next? 33,000? 4 hours a day?

I’m OCD enough for ten people (to wit, I had to back off Apple team Challenges for a while because I was committed to “perfect” months) but there’s people out there who are even worse than me and who are gonna hurt themselves reaping imaginary medals at Apple’s continuous prompting. Can you imagine the liability lawsuits eventually?

It’s my only real complaint about my beloved Apple gizmo.

My April challenge was for 3,050 exercise minutes.
    My May challenge was 43,100 move calories.

They are trying to MURDER me!

August was doubling 20 times but that is something I do pretty often so it was not that big of a push.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Last month mine was for 4240 exercise minutes.

This month is for 42,500 move calories (my goal is 620/day and I don’t always hit that).

I am training for an ultramarathon so these numbers are achievable. But my watch is going to be VERY disappointed in me once I run my 50k in November and then don’t move for 3-8 weeks.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

My move goal is 620. That requires a workout and/or a good amount of other activity.

I do not change it every time it’s suggested. I decide if the suggestion is based on a normal/reasonable level of activity or if I’ve done something out of ordinary. Like if I’m on vacation and spend all day hiking and out/about doing things (vs the desk job I work in my house), my watch gets all kinds of excited and wants to change my move goal. Simmer down there, techno-gadget. This was a limited time offer.

But if it’s upping it a bit based on what is reasonable/normal/perhaps a bit of a stretch, then I go along with it.

I’m not going to go crazy out of my way to close a ring on my Apple Watch or meet the sometimes absurd monthly challenge goals-but having it be just a bit outside of my comfortable “Normal” does inspire me to move just a little bit more than I might otherwise.
  • azkunk
    Options

Depends on you I think. I do not increase mine nor do I let it prompt me anymore. It is set at a medium level that I believe is a good minimum amount and one I can hit on rest days by mostly walking leisurely. Once I hit it on my active days I try to hit it again (200 percent badge). I am highly motivated now to hit the minimum because I have done it for 330 days. I also find that I am more relaxed and I enjoy getting more when I know my base requirement is done for the day.

Some people want to feel the pressure all day to do a big amount. If that works for them that is great. That would mean my streak would never be more than 6 days because I am absolutely not going to try to hit my active day goal on my rest day. Apple doesn't want you to rest EVER, which is the flaw in their design, but I work around it.

I am learning that. I want to hit the 300% and 400% but I have not done it yet. I think I will keep it reasonable. Thanks for the input.