To drop calories when mfp does or not?

Options
mousie1973
mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
So mfp dropped my calories today not by a lot..but still.. since I am still losing well at my original calories should I stay with those and then when my progress slows then drop my calories a bit? What do you all think?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    mousie1973 wrote: »
    So mfp dropped my calories today not by a lot..but still.. since I am still losing well at my original calories should I stay with those and then when my progress slows then drop my calories a bit? What do you all think?

It kind of depends and this all assumes you are currently losing at an appropriate rate and you eat close to your calorie goal.

One of the things the smallish calorie drops did for me is allow me to gradually shift my eating. As my goal decreased I had to cut, compromise, and substitute slightly more. My way of eating has changed significantly from where I started but none of it was drastic.

The reducing calorie goal really lit a fire under me to begin improving my NEAT. I looked at how much I would be eating at the end and I realized that would make things harder. My increased NEAT gives me a buffer.

On the other hand if you are already losing at a comfortable speed that is worth protecting. Sustainability is gold.

To help guide you more how much do you plan to lose, how much have you lost and over what amount of time have you lost it?
  • mousie1973
    Options
    I need to lose just over 100 pounds ...
    Started back on mfp at 261 about 2 weeks ago
    Cw 254.4
    Gw 150ish
    Height 5' 6"
  • NovusDies
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I need to lose just over 100 pounds ...
    Started back on mfp at 261 about 2 weeks ago
    Cw 254.4
    Gw 150ish
    Height 5' 6"

You should adjust your calories down then. In the first couple of weeks you can have water weight loss that makes it seem like you are losing at a good rate. Your adjusted weight is likely to be the one you need to be using for the MFP goal calculation.

Make a note of your weight today, try to be really consistent for 6 weeks, and then make a note of your new weight. Subtract the two weights then divide by 6 to see if your actual results match the rate of loss you selected in the guided set-up. If you need any help with any of this just ask.

• mousie1973
    Options
    Thanks so much..I have used mfp before but this time I am back due to getting lyme disease last summer and gaining a lot of it back and it seems to be harder to lose this time...
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Thanks so much..I have used mfp before but this time I am back due to getting lyme disease last summer and gaining a lot of it back and it seems to be harder to lose this time...

What is making it harder? If you are struggling to stay within your calorie goal then I have to change my advice again.
  • mousie1973
    Options
    No it's just rough on the body because of the side effects of the lyme disease. I am not having trouble staying in my calories. It's like my body doesn't want to shake it some days
  • Blondiebear23
    Blondiebear23 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I reduce my calorie intake when I start stalling on my weight loss.