Clean Eating for Beginners

Options

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Where dafuq is da ice creams?

Um . . .Klondike Bars.

I'm on like a current addiction or something to those things. I :heart: them.

Oh Reese's Klondike Bars!!!! Nom Nom Nom Nom
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is when you don't eat the food you drop on the floor/counter when making tacos, ice cream sundaes, and pizza. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I did not realize that beef was "dirty"....or that processed, reduced fat cottage cheese was clean. Not that I care...but just sayin'
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    For people who are sensitive to sugars, high carb foods, etc. finding their own definition of clean eating is not a joke, and it does a disservice to newbies to make it a joke. Some people have intense food cravings after eating sugar/higher carb foods that make it very difficult to eat a low calorie/weight loss diet. It is easier to eat "clean" and reduce the food cravings so sticking to lower calorie diet is possible. Here is a summary of some of the research that supports this, under the topic "not all calories are created equal." And by the way, if you are one of those people who can eat ice cream and cookies in limited amounts and not crave more, more, more then stop reading. This doesn't apply to you.

It goes both ways. I'm hypoglycemic. I find that I thrive on the so called "bad carbs". I bonked horribly on Atkins and South Beach. I also get severe heartburn from many fruits and veggies and I am allergic to apples. No food groups or types should be vilified. Everyone needs to find what works for them.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Bread: Ezekiel Brand Bread, Trader Joe Whole grain, Ak Mak (whole crachers), Alvarado st bakery

I'm not even going to go into how bread is a processed food.....
    Produce: Any Fresh Fruit or Veggie

does this include all the veggies which have been genetically motified, sprayed with pesticide, ripened with ethylene gas, or sprayed with sulphur dioxide?
    Poultry: Avoid the carton of white eggs OPT for the Brown Organic; Egg whites are essential; Boneless skinless turkey; OR B/S Chicken Breast

Why avoid the white eggs? You do realize the color of the chicken determines the color of the eggs, right? Also, many turkeys and chickens are pumped full of hormones to reach maturity are force fed so they cannot even stand or walk, sit in tiny closed in the dark houses in their own feces? They treat them with antibiotics so they can avoid excess casualties.
    Beef & Meats: Venison, Bisen, Buffalo, Fish, Duck, *Beef is not normally part of a clean diet* LEAN BEEF

non-descriptive list in which most products are heavily processed
    Dairy & NON: Fat Free or 1 % Milk, Lowfat Cottage Cheese, Greek Yogurt, Fat free or Plain Yogurt, Unsweetend Almond Milk, Unsweetened Coconut Milk, ***Cheese (Usually Avoided)***

So... most cows are corn fed which causes excessive amounts of e-coli. they are then pumped with antibiotics and hormones so they constantly produce milk. If you remove fat from milk, aren't you just left with sugar? Why would you get fat free or 1% over whole? Dont see how yogurt and cottage cheese is somehow less processed than cheese? LOL. How do they make almond milk? They add "Calcium Carbonate Sea Salt, Locust Bean Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Gellan Gum, Natural Flavor"... is that considered clean?
    The Aisles: Tea (Green), Coffee (Black), Oatmeal, Beans (black, lentils), Raw Nuts & Seeds (Flax Seeds, Unsalted nuts)

Another non-descriptive list in which most products are heavily processed?
    Condiments: Sugar Free Mustard, Honey, Pure Maple Syrup, Herbs & Spices (organic)

:laugh:
    Flour: Whole Wheat Flour, White Whole Wheat Flour, Whole Wheat pastry flour, Whole Grains, Brown Rice, Quinoa Pasta

:laugh:
    Healthy Fats: Avocado, Hummus, Olive Oil

Not trying to rag on your list here... simply stating that even if you think you're "eating clean" you probably arent? Who defines "clean"?

Might as well eat foods you enjoy, knowing that they have probably been processed in some sort of way and not worry about it being perceived as a "clean food".
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of this approach.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I'm not at all against "clean" eating as determined by the individual. But it's not a necessity to health, long life, fitness, or weight control. For many beginners, cutting out foods is a path to failure. If I wasn't allowed my camembert cheese and tasty melba toast point crackers, I never would have lost the weight.
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For people who are sensitive to sugars, high carb foods, etc. finding their own definition of clean eating is not a joke, and it does a disservice to newbies to make it a joke. Some people have intense food cravings after eating sugar/higher carb foods that make it very difficult to eat a low calorie/weight loss diet. It is easier to eat "clean" and reduce the food cravings so sticking to lower calorie diet is possible. Here is a summary of some of the research that supports this, under the topic "not all calories are created equal." And by the way, if you are one of those people who can eat ice cream and cookies in limited amounts and not crave more, more, more then stop reading. This doesn't apply to you.

It goes both ways. I'm hypoglycemic. I find that I thrive on the so called "bad carbs". I bonked horribly on Atkins and South Beach. I also get severe heartburn from many fruits and veggies and I am allergic to apples. No food groups or types should be vilified. Everyone needs to find what works for them.

Goes to show you that everybody reacts differently. I am also hypoglycemic and do much better restricting the "bad" carbs. I still have them, just maybe once or twice a week. Otherwise, my system gets all out of whack.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of this approach.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I'm not at all against "clean" eating as determined by the individual. But it's not a necessity to health, long life, fitness, or weight control. For many beginners, cutting out foods is a path to failure. If I wasn't allowed my camembert cheese and tasty melba toast point crackers, I never would have lost the weight.

Hyooge fan! :drinker:

Actually, a much "smaller" fan these days, given I'm probably about 60 pounds down from my high and have to thank Sara and SideSteel for help with the last 35 of that, together with a bulk and cut that have followed.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like your list a lot and would be similar to mine :)

I would probably add 97 lean ground beef, Barilla Plus pasta, protein shakes, berries, almonds, natural peanut butter, oats, tilapia, tuna, and the occasional oreo blizzard
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Um . . .Klondike Bars.

tumblr_m91lbuHV071r2yrc9o1_500.jpg

Oh snap. How did I miss that.
    APPROVED.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with white eggs? I thought the shell colour has to do with the breed?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with white eggs? I thought the shell colour has to do with the breed?

Everyone knows that the Rhode Island Reds are the only clean chicken . . .
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Umm, no, it's Buff Orpingtons. No way can eggs from a ginger chicken be clean. Nuh-uh.

OP: Does this rule only apply to chickens? My brown ducks have been laying white eggs, should I have a talking to with them? Should I worry about the ravens who steal and eat their eggs? Is their health at risk from dirty eating?

And what about my blue or green eggs? You didn't say if they are okay or not. This is all just so complicated :angry:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Umm, no, it's Buff Orpingtons. No way can eggs from a ginger chicken be clean. Nuh-uh.

OP: Does this rule only apply to chickens? My brown ducks have been laying white eggs, should I have a talking to with them? Should I worry about the ravens who steal and eat their eggs? Is their health at risk from dirty eating?

And what about my blue or green eggs? You didn't say if they are okay or not. This is all just so complicated :angry:

QFT.

Nothing good can come from a red-headed chicken.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

:angry:

:angry: :angry:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

:angry:

:angry: :angry:

*hides behind Otter*
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Um . . .Klondike Bars.

Oh Reese's Klondike Bars!!!! Nom Nom Nom Nom

Mmmmm. Reese's........
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Shopping List: Helpful tips, but you can always put your own spin on it.

Bread: Ezekiel Brand Bread, Trader Joe Whole grain, Ak Mak (whole crachers), Alvarado st bakery

Produce: Any Fresh Fruit or Veggie

Poultry: Avoid the carton of white eggs OPT for the Brown Organic; Egg whites are essential; Boneless skinless turkey; OR B/S Chicken Breast

Beef & Meats: Venison, Bisen, Buffalo, Fish, Duck, *Beef is not normally part of a clean diet* LEAN BEEF

Dairy & NON: Fat Free or 1 % Milk, Lowfat Cottage Cheese, Greek Yogurt, Fat free or Plain Yogurt, Unsweetend Almond Milk, Unsweetened Coconut Milk, ***Cheese (Usually Avoided)***

The Aisles: Tea (Green), Coffee (Black), Oatmeal, Beans (black, lentils), Raw Nuts & Seeds (Flax Seeds, Unsalted nuts)

Condiments: Sugar Free Mustard, Honey, Pure Maple Syrup, Herbs & Spices (organic)

Flour: Whole Wheat Flour, White Whole Wheat Flour, Whole Wheat pastry flour, Whole Grains, Brown Rice, Quinoa Pasta

Healthy Fats: Avocado, Hummus, Olive Oil

You are aware that the only difference between brown eggs and white eggs is the color of the hen that lays them, right? Nutritionally, brown and white eggs are the same.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what is the difference between a brown egg and a white egg...

why can't you eat beef? whats the beef?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What is clean eating?

there are three methods..

1. hand wash
    2. laundry wash
    3. power wash