Does exercise really make a difference in weight loss?

Options
Determination29
Determination29 Posts: 43
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I know that exercise has it's benefits. I dont have a lot of time throughout my day working 12 hour days, school then taking care of a child but I do like to go on long walks with my son when I can. I know exercise has plenty of benefits such as helping emotionally, getting fresh air, it's good for the heart etc... but my question is, if I never actually go to the gym or workout at home and break up a sweat, will I come close to ever reaching my goal? how much impact does exercise have when it comes to weight loss? Thanks

Replies

• Skydaver
    Skydaver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, it makes a difference, but no, you can lose plenty of weight without it. What the exercise will do is make you feel better, increase lean muscle mass, which boosts your metabolism, which makes you burn more calories.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to calories out being greater than calories in, basically a caloric deficit. This can be achieved through eating less, moving more, or a combination of both. You can definitely lose weight just by lowering your caloric intake, it's a good place to start. It is advised that you try to add in some exercise, but losing the weight is most important, and happens in the kitchen.
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yes, for me it helps tremendously.... I have lost weight many ways over the years... I have discovered that for me to keep it off and to feel and look healthy after wards It is best if I exercise. I have had two children and just loosing weight leaves me looking a bit saggy... (I am embarrassed to admit that!) But when I exercise it does not look near as bad... infact this time My stomach is looking pretty darn good... that's where I got the stretch marks! I always worry that it will end up the way it did before... like dried up grape! But so far it is looking quite full and plump and healthy!

SO for me the difference is not in the speed in which I loose the weight... it is in the outcome and appearance after the weight is gone.... I would ALWAYS suggest exercise if you are loosing more than 10 pounds! Heck I would suggest exercise anyways... It keeps me from getting over stressed!
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise has been vital in my weight loss. As an older female, I was convinced that I had lost the ability to lose weight even when restricting calories. When I began to incorporate exercise, I began losing weight every week. For nine months I consistently lost one lb a week, with NO plateaus. I do a 1200 cal plan and now eat back some or most of my exercise calories. I am close to maintenance so am perfectly happy with slowing down my weight loss. And, speaking of maintenance, exercise is a critical component to maintaining one's weight. If there are ways to incorporate walks into your day (on work breaks or lunch hour), you could start there. Consistency is the key. Form the habit, then work the habit of exercise.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Huge!!

Walking does wonders. Incorporate walking into your busy day, you'll notice a big difference on the scale :), in your face it will get thinner and just overall toning of your body. Walking rocks!!

I run, but my dad is my walking experiment. The above is true for him.

So move, move, move any way you can, walk all stairs etc..
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It helps create a calorie deficit. I've lost weight with exercise and without exercise.
  • LosingWeightStinks
    Options
    I am on disability, (Chronic Pain, Fibromyalgia). I started my diet using this site on 07/25. I have lost over 20lbs and I have not exercised once other than walking around supermarkets gathering up lettuce. lol.

So I would have to say that as bad as wish I could exercise, you can lose weight without it.
  • naou
    naou Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Not for me. For some reason I found it more difficult to lose weight while I was going to the gym.
    I don't go out very often either. I just stick to my diet..
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.
    It helps, but you can lose weight without it. If you want to be healthier too, it's definitely critical.
    It would be hard for me to stick to 1500 a day for much longer than a week or two without the extra exercise calories. But then too, without counting carefully, you can end up eating more than you burn.
    You can also lose weight by just eating less, not eating "healthier" -- but like exercise, it's easier if you do both.
    I would definitely say that maintaining is MUCH harder without exercise.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Calories make a difference in weight loss. As long as you have a calorie deficit, you can lose weight. That deficit can be created through diet or exercise.

However, exercise can improve your health and it's what makes you look better naked (especially strength training).
  • Determination29
    Options
    Yes, for me it helps tremendously.... I have lost weight many ways over the years... I have discovered that for me to keep it off and to feel and look healthy after wards It is best if I exercise. I have had two children and just loosing weight leaves me looking a bit saggy... (I am embarrassed to admit that!) But when I exercise it does not look near as bad... infact this time My stomach is looking pretty darn good... that's where I got the stretch marks! I always worry that it will end up the way it did before... like dried up grape! But so far it is looking quite full and plump and healthy!

SO for me the difference is not in the speed in which I loose the weight... it is in the outcome and appearance after the weight is gone.... I would ALWAYS suggest exercise if you are loosing more than 10 pounds! Heck I would suggest exercise anyways... It keeps me from getting over stressed!

I love your reply...thanks!
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    In terms of strictly losing weight, all that matters is calories in v. calories out. Exercise is irrelevant except insofar as it helps with the "calories out" part. As you stated, it does have other benefits, and should be encouraged.
  • britthansen513
    britthansen513 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In my experience, you can still lose plenty of weight without exercise as long as you are eating smart!

When I was on weigh watchers for about 7 months, I did little exercise and lost over 25 lbs.

When I did start incorporating exercise into eating right I noticed more muscle tone and lost more weight quicker.

After incorporating weights into my workout as opposed to just cardio I did gain weight, but I assuming (AND HOPING) it is muscle.

It really depends on what type of results you are looking for. If you want just wanting to lose weight, no exercise is necessary, just good eating. If you wanting to tone up as well as lose weight, exercise may be a good idea.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to calories out being greater than calories in, basically a caloric deficit. This can be achieved through eating less, moving more, or a combination of both. You can definitely lose weight just by lowering your caloric intake, it's a good place to start. It is advised that you try to add in some exercise, but losing the weight is most important, and happens in the kitchen.

I am curious if this is even true? If a person is obese (like myself), it probably is. However, is it really better for someone to be sedentary and weigh less or be active and weigh a bit more? Rarely is it an either/or situation, but exercise has such an enormous health benefit that it's difficult to believe that losing a few pounds is more important.

OP: yes, you can lose weight without exercise. However, I would urge you to try to work in some exercise. Even if it's just doing bodyweight exercises at home a few times a week and walking briskly with your child. It will increase your cognitive function and your energy levels, so think of it as investing in better performance at school/work/childrearing.
  • rocjunkie
    rocjunkie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it does, however counting your calories and eating healthy are nothing to slack about. A perfect example. I was able to lose 48 pounds in 91 days through counting calories and a regimented walking program. I went from 226 to 178. I ate what I wanted, usually really good nutritional cooking from my wife, and added my walking. I have to exercise to keep weight off and walking 4 to 5 miles at a fast pace does it for me. However with your time constraints, your long walks with your son will help in burning those calories and if you are eating right you will slowly see a change and the weight will come off.

I have started a new program with MFP since I gained about half my weight back, and it is working great. On day 36 and have lost 12 pounds. My wife is on it too and she is really shaping up. Good luck stay focused.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My personal trainers says that diet/exercise is 80/20 of weight loss. So the majority of losing weight is calories restriction/portion control and then add some exercise on top of that. It's certainly easier to lose weight if you add exercise to the mix. I mean, the first month will be entirely impressive if you do.

As for not exercising -- yes, you can avoid it, but you will feel better and you end up losing inches if you do. Seriously, I lost only 10 pounds in my first couple of weeks, but I knocked off three inches on my hips and thighs! It was really noticeable when all my pants were a little big. The reason? I was doing squats and heavy walking (3 to 3.5 mph, brisk walking) and my muscles showed up! So, exercise gives you cardio benefits, but also others benefits as well.
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    Exercise makes weight loss look more attractive! No more saggy bits.
    It also makes you healthier. What's the point in losing all that weight if you're still going to sit on your *kitten* all day and subsequently have a heart attack in your early 50s?

As for does exercise speed up weight loss? Not necessarily, but it does mean you get to eat more and not feel like you're dieting.

(disclaimer: the 'sitting on your *kitten*' comment was not directed at anybody in particular; just an example!)
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't prepare my own food. I eat outside food with all those flavorsome grease but in moderation. Adding exercises to my weight loss adventure is helping to balance things out. I have steadily lose weight and see great improvement to my overall fitness condition. Of course, I think I will see faster result if I have chose to eat clean in the first place.
  • Determination29
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.