Raw vs. cooked meat!

Options
I have been on MFP almost 17 months and I have lost almost 100 lbs!...I am still confused if you weigh meat raw or cooked?....what do you do?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    First congrats on your success. That's amazing! Second weigh it raw, but don't forget to add any oil or butter if used.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP almost 17 months and I have lost almost 100 lbs!...I am still confused if you weigh meat raw or cooked?....what do you do?

Raw is generally considered the most accurate because cooking method can make a difference in the final weight of the cooked meat. For example, an 8 oz steak will weigh more if cooked rare than the same steak cooked well done. It is not foolproof, though. Things like higher fat ground beef will lose fat in addition to water when cooked while things like boneless, skinless chicken breasts will mostly lose water.

Congratulations on your success. Obviously you are doing this right whichever you are doing. As mentioned above, make sure you are using the correct entry for whichever one you are doing.
  • lisawolchuk
    lisawolchuk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! Where do you go to log it as raw or cooked?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    The same database you use to log any other food. Tap add food, then type a string (e.g., chicken, breast, flesh only, raw or chicken, breast, flesh only, cooked, dry heat).
  • lisawolchuk
    lisawolchuk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you!