Left over 1500 calories from heavy training

Options
Because of very heavy back to back weekend long runs, I find I'm at 1500 calories short from the combined deficit of Saturday and Sunday. With today as a recovery day, what is your opinion on eating more than my regular 0 exercise calories added goal? Would you eat about 1/3 of that more back? half?

I understand when training for an ultra-marathon you can never eat enough of those calories back on the race of B2B weekend long runs. But how much extra would you consider appropriate to eat extra due to such a large deficit?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I find eating back all of my accurately estimated exercises (long distance cycling) is the most appropriate option for me.

Perhaps explain why you think zero, a third, or a half might be better options for you?
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I am guessing you don't necessarily find yourself overly 'hungry' on the days you're earning the extra calories, and feel a little unsure of eating them a day later?

When I'm super active - I don't feel hungry either. Sometimes though the next day seems like I cannot get 'full'. Eat the calories today. If you are not sure of their accuracy and/or you're not hungry enough to eat them all - then eat what seems right to you. But don't feel bad about eating more to compensate for weekend long runs.
  • TheRayOD2014
    TheRayOD2014 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I find eating back all of my accurately estimated exercises (long distance cycling) is the most appropriate option for me.

Perhaps explain why you think zero, a third, or a half might be better options for you?

I don't necessarily think it is a better option but that just after so many days from burning those calories that I couldn't eat back all of that day it just seems like too much afterwards? Like after 2-3 days if I didn't eat those left over it is just not necessary or worth it?
  • TheRayOD2014
    Options
    I am guessing you don't necessarily find yourself overly 'hungry' on the days you're earning the extra calories, and feel a little unsure of eating them a day later?

When I'm super active - I don't feel hungry either. Sometimes though the next day seems like I cannot get 'full'. Eat the calories today. If you are not sure of their accuracy and/or you're not hungry enough to eat them all - then eat what seems right to you. But don't feel bad about eating more to compensate for weekend long runs.

precisely the problem. I'm fairly sure of the accuracy though because I use the Omni running net calories burned calculator and have found it to be accurate for the stats I use and tracking.
  • TheRayOD2014
    Options
    I never feel hungry on my long run/race days, so I just eat back the calories over the next 1-3 days. I eat back all my adjustments because I know -- from experience over time -- that my calorie burn estimates are accurate. I would only eat back a portion if I felt like they were over-estimates. No benefit in underfueling intense activity, IMO.

True, I'll make sure of this for this weekend and next week post race
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    I never feel hungry on my long run/race days, so I just eat back the calories over the next 1-3 days. I eat back all my adjustments because I know -- from experience over time -- that my calorie burn estimates are accurate. I would only eat back a portion if I felt like they were over-estimates. No benefit in underfueling intense activity, IMO.

If you're racing most weekends, why not just build the calories into your daily allotment (pre-race and post-race), rather than trying to consume all the extra calories in a couple of days?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I don't necessarily think it is a better option but that just after so many days from burning those calories that I couldn't eat back all of that day it just seems like too much afterwards? Like after 2-3 days if I didn't eat those left over it is just not necessary or worth it?

It is the best choice for me as I'm maintaining weight so must account for all my exercise expenditure.
    If you are seeking to lose weight then a different solution might be the most appropriate for you - which is why I asked for your personal context.

But I don't feel the need to "balance the books" daily though. A weekly view might help you too rather than trying to work out percentages to cut when you think your burns are accurate?
    Yesterday my calorie allowance was over 4,300 but today it is more like 2,800.
    I didn't need to force down food yesterday or overly restrict today as long as over time I balance it out.

IMHO your minimum on big exercise days should be enough to recover well so that you maximise the return from your training, that might be a bit more than you are comfortable with.....
  • TheRayOD2014
    Options

If you're racing most weekends, why not just build the calories into your daily allotment (pre-race and post-race), rather than trying to consume all the extra calories in a couple of days?

oh no, definitely not racing every weekend. Just this cycle with double long runs has made it tough
  • TheRayOD2014
    Options

It is the best choice for me as I'm maintaining weight so must account for all my exercise expenditure.
    If you are seeking to lose weight then a different solution might be the most appropriate for you - which is why I asked for your personal context.

But I don't feel the need to "balance the books" daily though. A weekly view might help you too rather than trying to work out percentages to cut when you think your burns are accurate?
    Yesterday my calorie allowance was over 4,300 but today it is more like 2,800.
    I didn't need to force down food yesterday or overly restrict today as long as over time I balance it out.

IMHO your minimum on big exercise days should be enough to recover well so that you maximise the return from your training, that might be a bit more than you are comfortable with.....

I like the idea of weekly then and would probably consider looking at my weekly log as starting on Saturdays instead of on Mondays, that way I could 'balance the books' over the week instead.

I've been forcing food down on those big days and got rather sick of it real fast. It made for alot of GI distress, heavier legs, and alot of food/water weight that was slowing me down in the following days training.

If that is more than i'm comfortable with, then I'll have to get a little uncomfortable which I'm fine with. Maybe after those longer efforts a stronger stout or some good grub with more fat and carb than normal on those days, and use the following time to refuel what I need to extra.

I'm not on a large deficit or anything, not trying to be. at 126 lbs I'm too light at 5 ft 9 to be trying to lose, rather I'm focusing on just getting enough and getting stronger physically. Though this week I did cut all lifting so that it doesn't interfere with any recover before next week.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    If you use the app, you can look at a weekly view and ensure that your average for the week is in line with where it should be.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options

oh no, definitely not racing every weekend. Just this cycle with double long runs has made it tough

Well, assuming you plan these races in advance, and you have records from past races to look back on, you must have a pretty good idea of what the calorie burn will be, so you could still allocate 1/7 of the calories to each day of the week you're racing (before, day of, and after). That way you wouldn't face this feeling that it's too much to eat back in a day or two.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I usually let hunger be the guide. If I'm not hungry enough to eat all my calories on the day of a hard workout, usually I find that I am ravenous the next day or two. I don't force myself to eat a specific amount, but I eat enough to not be hungry.
  • TheRayOD2014
    Options

Well, assuming you plan these races in advance, and you have records from past races to look back on, you must have a pretty good idea of what the calorie burn will be, so you could still allocate 1/7 of the calories to each day of the week you're racing (before, day of, and after). That way you wouldn't face this feeling that it's too much to eat back in a day or two.

Never raced the 50km distance before, but its got nearly 10k elevation and about 31 miles. I don't allocate calories throughout the week when it comes to that distance but rather focus on my daily intake and carbohydrate intake being a higher percent, and following the 200 calories an hour rule.