FitBit Calories to MFP

ehju0901
ehju0901 Posts: 394 Member
edited October 2020 in Getting Started
Hey all, so I just got my first FitBit yesterday and I think I got it all synced up correctly. The only issue that I've noticed is that it is syncing my steps to MFP, but my calories (exercise) is remaining at zero. Any ideas?

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    If you just started using the Fitbit yesterday, you may need to give it more time.

What time did you put it on yesterday? If you started it at perhaps 2pm, then for all the time before 2pm: Fitbit assumed BMR. Meaning it does not know that you were awake, moving, etc. So yesterday's #s are not accurate.

If today is your first day wearing it all day, how much have you moved so far today & what is your activity level set to on MFP? If you have not moved enough then the adjustment shows at 0.

In reality, Fitbit does not send 'exercise' calories to MFP. Fitbit instead sends data on your total calorie burn. MFP compares that # to what it expects to be your total burn (based on stated activity level) and adjusts if the Fitbit # is higher.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    You will only see an adjustment when you've moved MORE than MFP estimated you would have based on the activity level you provided. It might be worth checking to see what your activity level on MFP is set at if you still aren't seeing adjustments after a day or so of use.
  • ehju0901
    If you just started using the Fitbit yesterday, you may need to give it more time.

What time did you put it on yesterday? If you started it at perhaps 2pm, then for all the time before 2pm: Fitbit assumed BMR. Meaning it does not know that you were awake, moving, etc. So yesterday's #s are not accurate.

If today is your first day wearing it all day, how much have you moved so far today & what is your activity level set to on MFP? If you have not moved enough then the adjustment shows at 0.

In reality, Fitbit does not send 'exercise' calories to MFP. Fitbit instead sends data on your total calorie burn. MFP compares that # to what it expects to be your total burn (based on stated activity level) and adjusts if the Fitbit # is higher.

I put my FitBit on last night before bed and have worn it since.

My activity level is set at sedentary and so far my FitBit says I've done 878 steps and 913 calories burned.
  • ehju0901
    You will only see an adjustment when you've moved MORE than MFP estimated you would have based on the activity level you provided. It might be worth checking to see what your activity level on MFP is set at if you still aren't seeing adjustments after a day or so of use.

OK, that makes sense. So once I get off work and am actually outside being active I should see a difference.
  • nanastaci2020
    Ps-if you use the MFP app, and click on 'Fitbit Tracker Calorie Adjustment' under Exercise on today's diary, you can see additional data.

Right now I see (for me)
    Extra calories earned 221 <--then click on the Extra calories earned line

Calorie Adjustment
    HOw we calculate...
    Fitbit burned 1993 (full day projection based on 825 burned as of 8:10 am) <--last time I synced
    MFP calories burned 1772

This means MFP expects me to burn 1772 (based on activity level stated), and based on the movement I've already had (walked 55 minutes this morning before work) with the Fitbit data, MFP thinks I'll end up 221 over my original MFP projection.
  • ehju0901
    Ps-if you use the MFP app, and click on 'Fitbit Tracker Calorie Adjustment' under Exercise on today's diary, you can see additional data.

Right now I see (for me)
    Extra calories earned 221 <--then click on the Extra calories earned line

Calorie Adjustment
    HOw we calculate...
    Fitbit burned 1993 (full day projection based on 825 burned as of 8:10 am) <--last time I synced
    MFP calories burned 1772

This means MFP expects me to burn 1772 (based on activity level stated), and based on the movement I've already had (walked 55 minutes this morning before work) with the Fitbit data, MFP thinks I'll end up 221 over my original MFP projection.

Thanks, that's super helpful! Definitely makes sense!
  • nanastaci2020
    A more detailed example:

MFP expects me to burn 1780 per day, based on my stated activity level & stats. That works out to a tad bit over 74 calories per hour.

If I wake up at 5am, with a BMR of 1265, and Sync: Fitbit will report I've burned 263.

MFP does the math. I've burned 263 in 5 hours, and will burn 1409 (1780/24 x 19) in the next 19 hours. 1409 + 263 = 1672. I have negative adjustments enabled, so would show -108.

Then I piddle around to feed the dogs, let them outside, and get ready to get on the treadmill. And walk/jog for 55 minutes. Get a shower, get ready for work. Let's say I sync again at 7am, and Fitbit reports my calories burned total # at 625.

MFP does calculations again. I've burned 625 and will burn an additional 1780/24*17 so 625 + 1261 = 1886. Now my adjustment is +106.

Each time you sync, that comparison happens. At some point I'll be done for the day, but MFP will still expect me to burn 74 calories per hour, If I'm sitting in bed or sleeping from 10pm onward, I won't burn 74 per hour for those last 2 hours. More like 53-55 which is my BMR and perhaps a TINY bit more. So if I sync at 10pm and see an adjusment of +200, I would expect it to decrease by about 20 per hour once the day is done and MFP has the full day's data from Fitbit.
  • nanastaci2020
    edited October 2020
    If you turn on negative adjustments, you'll see a negative #. Otherwise it will stay at 0 until you've moved 'enough' to move ahead of break even.
  • ehju0901
    If you turn on negative adjustments, you'll see a negative #. Otherwise it will stay at 0 until you've moved 'enough' to move ahead of break even.

I was debating on turning on negative adjustments but I didn't fully understand it. I think I might do it and try it out! I would like knowing essentially how many calories I need to "burn" before I'm actually burning calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ehju0901 wrote: »

I was debating on turning on negative adjustments but I didn't fully understand it. I think I might do it and try it out! I would like knowing essentially how many calories I need to "burn" before I'm actually burning calories.

It can be interesting to see -- I am set to "sedentary" and I haven't moved much today at all and I'm currently at -56 (not worried, since I'll be running later this afternoon). The negative adjustments can help you understand how far the "baseline" you are for your activity level
  • nanastaci2020
    Personally: I have both my Fitbit and MFP set to 'maintain'. I am working on a slight weight loss project, but I'm not far from goal. So for each, when they show I have calories left: that is actually my deficit.

From past experience, I know that if I move ~10,000 steps, then my total daily burn will be roughly 1900-2000. So my personal objective is to burn at least 1900 per day. (Again, my BMR is 1265.) If I did not set goals and make that effort, my total daily burn would be about 1500-1600 at most. Sometimes less!

While MFP assumes you will be 'sedentary' all day (which is a higher burn rate per hour than BMR, though not by a lot) - Fitbit does not assume you're going to move more. Fitbit gives credit for actual movement in the past, and seems to assume BMR only for the rest of the day.

So when I look (right now) at my Fitbit app, it shows that I've logged 676 (in MFP, have not fully logged/planned out my day yet) and that I have 1012 calories left. If I do the math, 676+1012 = 1688. This tells me I have not moved 'enough' to have my 1900 calories burned goal guaranteed. That is not a surprise, as its 10:31 am and I've not finished my day's step goal either. But as I move more thru the day, this calculated total will go up. And once I'm sure I'll hit 1900+, I can be satisfied.

This is more complex than most people like it. Just sharing how I use the data that Fitbit provides.