Workouts when you have a bad ankle?

I broke my ankle in March and while it has healed mostly it can still hurt after very little effort. I spent 10 minutes slowly walking on even ground and my ankle was killing me after and walking at a slightly increased speed takes bout 20 minutes to make it painful.

Swimming, casual breaststrokes due to bad eyesight which makes other forms hard to see the wall with, is fine but not always convenient. I do favor it as it is a quick way to burn calories and I am very busy, but afternoon thunder makes it a risk.

Does anyone have a suggestion for comparable exercises that would not stress my ankle?

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    I've torn ankle ligaments twice; both times cycling was recommended as an alternative.
    More recently, with knee troubles, I found using an elliptical to be easy on my knee and ankle.
    Good luck.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Are there still pins or screws in there?

I noticed on the x-rays from a trimalleolar break that was healing that a longer screw was causing a dimple wear on inner bone, and this was at point with limited weight and angle usage, which meant it was only going to get worse.
    So I think about 6-9 months after release - had the screws and plate taken out, except for a deep screw that shouldn't prove a problem.
    There was good improvement in pain. Now it's just arthritis to be dealt with.

• akawiki
    akawiki Posts: 3 Member
    I actually do not have any pins or screws, the doctor found my ankle breaks were very clean and choose not to do any surgery since he did not think he could get it closer. It just took forever to heal and might still be healing. I am still using a brace when standing or walking for extended periods of time.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    So you were immobilized for awhile to let the bones set, so it could be some calcium deposits where no movement was taking place.

Has he taken recent xrays to confirm healing?
    I always got the e-versions to take home to look over, that would show up deposits.