Building Abs

Options
2»

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @mom23mangos -- everyone should give you an inspiring click for that one. That is very ingenious of you. Where do you put your phone at for the app? I could see just gluing a few wood pieces for the phone holder.

I just lay the phone on the wood. I have a leather case so it doesn't really slip. I have debating about making one and gluing some foam on it and cutting out a rectangle for the phone. I also cut some PVC pipe to see if that makes an easier column than making a square, but haven't tried it yet.

I also made my own Swedish ladder which is great for ab work as well as stretching.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    @mom23mangos -- everyone should give you an inspiring click for that one. That is very ingenious of you. Where do you put your phone at for the app? I could see just gluing a few wood pieces for the phone holder.

I just lay the phone on the wood. I have a leather case so it doesn't really slip. I have debating about making one and gluing some foam on it and cutting out a rectangle for the phone. I also cut some PVC pipe to see if that makes an easier column than making a square, but haven't tried it yet.

I also made my own Swedish ladder which is great for ab work as well as stretching.

This is why it pays to be handy.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    I bought a Stealth Plank board. You put your cell phone in it and play games while you plank. It's fun to gamify planks.

I’m cheap. I made my own for about $5. The app is free. 🤗

How did you make it? I'd be interested! Crunches hurt my neck too much (I'm aware that probably means I'm doing something wrong but no idea how to fix it) so planking is more comfortable but borrrring.

Where are your hands during these crunches? Often if people speak of neck pain they are putting their hands behind their neck and causing neck strain.

I do crunches on a decline bench with my hands folded in front of me. I keep my back straight and pull up from my abs rather than lifting my head, neck or back. It targets my abs and results in 0 injuries so far.

By my sides or reaching for my knees. I dont put them on my head or neck. Closest would be crossed over my chest. I feel like my abs are so weak my back and neck are trying to compensate...

I used to do gymnastics many moons ago. I remind myself to tighten my core and ONLY pull up from my abs. Helps me avoid back and neck injuries.

If you can’t avoid the neck pain though, pick a different ab exercise so you avoid injury.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    I bought a Stealth Plank board. You put your cell phone in it and play games while you plank. It's fun to gamify planks.

I’m cheap. I made my own for about $5. The app is free. 🤗

How did you make it? I'd be interested! Crunches hurt my neck too much (I'm aware that probably means I'm doing something wrong but no idea how to fix it) so planking is more comfortable but borrrring.

Where are your hands during these crunches? Often if people speak of neck pain they are putting their hands behind their neck and causing neck strain.

I do crunches on a decline bench with my hands folded in front of me. I keep my back straight and pull up from my abs rather than lifting my head, neck or back. It targets my abs and results in 0 injuries so far.

By my sides or reaching for my knees. I dont put them on my head or neck. Closest would be crossed over my chest. I feel like my abs are so weak my back and neck are trying to compensate...

For me, I found that doing some of the abs-specific exercises (like sit ups, crunches) required a certain minimum of core strength before being able to do them with decent form. A routine of the basic simple compound lifts (no isolated abs exercises) got me to that point. The one that seemed to do the most, as I mentioned above, was the bent over barbell rows. Previous to that, my core was weak enough that holding myself in that position without weight (as in when washing my face under the bathtub faucet) was a bit difficult.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You might see if some of the beginners workouts at Bodyfit by Amy might suit you. She has a standing 10 minute cardio which includes ab work, which i found a great way to get started, and once things are a bit more stable, she also has an what I find to be an excellent 10 minute beginners abs workout.

Here is the link to the cardio workout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H9qdpUzu4M&list=PL8AW-nHhZZ0Q4ZQfZcBP4t5VdlmRBOpRE&index=5.

And the abs workout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY5Dp0s4IxI&list=PLMHMyl3oeyh2X2Cf3kQ7RWJX2sb3CWZ_-&index=6&t=33s.