High carbs...

Options
Shot in the dark here, anyone know of any healthy high carb foods that won’t cause a tremendous amount of bloating?

Replies

• Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Bananas, Dates, Currants, Mangos, Apples etc. Delicious, high carb and very healthy (always in moderation).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I think that will depend on your body and how you react to certain carbs. You might need to experiment and find out. Also what do you mean by bloating? Like actual stomach bloating or water retention?
    The only carb that causes stomach boating for me is too many legumes/beans (it would have to be a lot though). Otherwise carbs specifically don't cause this in me. I do retain water but that is not something I actively care to control.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Like above I'm not much of a carb bloater except with lots of beans. So for me pretty much all the standard carby foods are fine.

I think you're just going to have to have a look and see what works for you.
  • MarttaHP
    MarttaHP Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you mean stomach bloating, foods high in FODMAPs have a tendency to cause that to some people (like me), so you may want to look into low-FODMAP foods. Grains include rice, quinoa, millet, cornmeal, and oats. (Gluten-containing grains like wheat, barley and rye also are high in FODMAPs, so I tend to avoid those.) Plenty of fruits are also high in FODMAPs, but some low ones are bananas, pineapples, oranges, grapes and strawberries.

If you mean fluid retention, well, carbs tend to cause that when consumed in high quantities.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Different foods cause different reactions for people, but I never bloat when I eat things like rice, oats, fruit, bread, crackers, potatoes, and pasta unless they're also high sodium meals.