Are there some ways your significant other helped you lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    breefoshee wrote: »
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    breefoshee wrote: »

So... no help from significant others at all? I don't know that that is realistic.

You do realize that not all of us have "significant others"? ;) And yes, we do have to do it all on our own, even if you don't believe that's realistic.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think it's great that you have a partner who is on board with you and supports your goals. I'm just pointing out that some of us don't have that, and we do just fine on our own.
    Giiiiiiiirrrrrl I was in that boat for most of my life. lol I am 33 and have been single for the majority of my adulthood. This is my first serious relationship and that is part of the reason I am asking.

I have beeeeen doing it alone for all of my adult life. So having him want to help me is a complete mystery to me and I don't always know how to accept it.

But what I meant by my comment above is that I didn't think it was realistic to have a SO and not lean on them for things.

And now that I think about it, even when I was single, I had people who helped my journey along. They let me vent to them about weight loss frustrations, they worked out with me, when I was invited to their home they were courteous enough to consider my diet. I think that friends and community can really help-- again, not that my weight loss is their responsibility... but I love having supportive friends.

Having outside people involved in my journey seems odd to me. I’m more of a dog person than people person though, so it’s probably just a matter of personal preference.

I don’t want to work out with others as I don’t need them interfering with my workout or schedule. I think that sounds more like social hour and I take my workouts seriously. To each their own though and if it works for you, great, but too often I’ve seen people who can ONLY work out with their friends and when one gives up the other does.

I’m doing this for ME, so I don’t need/want anyone to make any kind of changes for me. At work, if they order lunch, no one considers my diet because I don’t broadcast it to them. I politely turn down the offers of Chinese or pizza or whatever else they get because I have will power and don’t need them to change anything for me.

I definitely think it is a preference. I have always been more of a social butterfly and a verbal processor. So any "diet" I have ever done, everybody and their mamma has known about it lol. I do tend to like working out alone as a rule, but love when social events include a walk or something active.

But I think the big difference is that I don't EXPECT people to do anything.... but I am grateful when they do. It would be unfair of me to go around mad at everyone for not catering to me. I don't expect my BF to do anything, but it is really nice when he wants to help.
  • gracegettingittogether
    Options

But I think the big difference is that I don't EXPECT people to do anything.... but I am grateful when they do. It would be unfair of me to go around mad at everyone for not catering to me. I don't expect my BF to do anything, but it is really nice when he wants to help. [/quote]

This is really true! It’s no good expecting anyone to do anything for you. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from 38 years of life, it’s that. But it sure is nice when someone does do something nice!! My motto is, expect nothing and appreciate everything!