Frustrated with lack of results

I started working out mid-May and have continued a 6-day/per week schedule since. I alternate daily between 25-minuteof of walk/run intervals on the treadmill and a 30-minute boxing video. On treadmill days I also do pushups and core work. I feel much healthier and see a small change in how my clothes feel HOWEVER I have stayed at 220 - 221 lbs. and a 40-41 inch waist since May. I weigh/measure myself weekly because I didn't want to get discouraged and I'm one of those people who has always weighed more than I appear because of large core/butt/thigh muscles. I am not obsessed with the actual number so much as frustrated with the fact that I've worked my butt off (no pun intended!) for five months and have seen NO change - literally. I was tracking my eating habits in my food journal faithfully for awhile however I admit I stopped doing that because my diet doesn't change much.
I am beyond frustrated and would welcome any insights or suggestions.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    When you tracked your food intake, did you use a food scale? Do you eat the calories back that you burn?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    The math doesn't lie. You're not eating in a deficit.

Here's a great thread about Intuitive Eating and why it doesn't work for most people. Track your data points. Weigh and measure your food portions.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10530819/you-can-eat-whaver-you-want-as-long-as-you-eat-at-a-deficit-is-true-but-its-garbage-advice/p1

• kristigraupman
    kristigraupman Posts: 3 Member
    I guess I'm just surprised that the numbers haven't changed at all - like not even two pounds!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    If you'll read through that thread, ninerbuff goes into greater details. It's all about the deficit.
    That's it in a nutshell without the whole bushel.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,740 Member
    The numbers might not have changed, but that doesn't mean you haven't lost fat, if you can feel a difference in the fit of your clothes. In the best case scenario, you might be doing a very slow recomp (building muscle and losing fat while eating at maintenance) although that ideally implies doing resistance training (more than just pushups and core work).

So I would start logging your food again, weighing everything (no volume measurements such as cups, tablespoons...), checking that you're using correct database entries, to make sure you are in a calorie deficit.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    As everyone else has said, it’s simple, you aren’t eating in a deficit.

You don’t HAVE to exercise to lose weight although it’s fantastic for health purposes and can help some people (myself in that category) stay IN a deficit. You DO have to be in a deficit to lose weight. You can’t KNOW if you’re in a deficit if you aren’t weighing and logging your food intake accurately.