My Treadmill Died

Options
The incline motor on my treadmill died. I am shopping for a new one. The previous treadmill, a Proform, was a hand me down and was about 15 years old. I really loved having a treadmill but I’m not sure what to buy. Any recommendations or any brands to avoid? I’d prefer one that inclines with a motor. This is something that I’ve used at least 5 days a week for several months now, feeling lost without one.

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    No recommendations, because even though I love my Proform (bought new on Amazon) it is almost 8 years old and no long available to purchase.

Good luck! Hopefully until you get it replaced it is a safe option to walk outside where you live. It would wreck my weekday mornings to not have my treadmill functioning.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Your dreadmill died. Bury that thing in the backyard.

Someone will give you tips. I used mine as an expensive clothes hanger along with that X-country ski machine. I can tell that you really enjoyed yours. Hope you find a replacement soon. You will.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I'm shopping for one too. I really like the Horizon Studio series that is Zwift compatible. It's won nearly every single "Best Buy" and best value award out there.

What it means by being Zwift compatible is that you can immediately pull out compatible tablets (or Apple TV) and run or walk on Zwift, which is a cool little interactive app. You can also use Peloton with it as well.

If you're looking for a huge screen and interactive training, Peloton is introducing a more cost friendly one this Spring. NordicTrack has one with the biggest screen I've ever seen.

You could always shopped used commercial ones as well.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I have used a NordicTrack for several years. This is my second, an upgrade from my previous one with a wider and longer belt and negative incline. (I bought it when I was training for Boston.) I like the fact that it keeps track of my elevation gain during a run. I dislike the fact that it is so big. If I were taller I might have issues hitting my head on the ceiling when the TM is at incline.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I got a very good deal one one a few years ago through Craigslist and have been very happy with it. It was barely used and the guy just wanted someone to come get it, only charged $75 for an $800 treadmill (that was being used as a clothes hanger, probably bought it from @Diatonic12 above ;) ).

Of course in COVID times everyone is trying to buy home gym equipment so it might be a little harder but maybe check around through Craigslist or FB Marketplace, stuff like that, see if you can find a deal?
  • stephanienfrancis15080
    Options
    I have the pro form 1295i. You can use it with or without I fit, that keeps it from being boring!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It depends on space, budget etc.

I got a used life fitness from a small gym in NYC for super cheap. It’s commercial, so it’s VERY heavy and does not fold. I have a basement gym though, so it’s not an issue. I use mine almost everyday, but it should last FOREVER since it’s designed to be used for many hrs a day in a commercial setting.

My recommendation would be to check out Facebook marketplace in your area. You can get great deals on used ones that are motorized with inclines as many people just use them as clothing storage.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Buy USED whatever you do. 95% of treadmills in house are clothes racks, so seldom used.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you really liked it for features - you can get a new motor (sometimes better that went on more expensive models) for not much, and if you can find someone comfortable with unscrewing usually a cover, unbolting a motor mount, and unplugging some wires, it's not a bad swap out.
    Someone that knows to unplug electricity first, keep things in order, follow wires, and when aligning the motor belt again knows to not touch electrical wires when running, and not touch moving things.

I found online videos that showed my mom's was indeed going to be the headache I discovered it was.
    And that her's was uniquely annoying in that manner (press fit pulley that will break using 3 jaw pulley puller).
    But many other big brands are much easier.
    Screwdrivers and couple adjustable wrenches.

Ditto's to used if you do that - put the call out on like NextDoor app for anyone with a treadmill they really aren't using - may have to nudge ones to be honest with themselves.