Help me build a weekly routine

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I try to fit in my routine: swimming, bodyweight strength training, power walking//running
Swimming is 60 min sessions, non-negiotable days are Saturday and Sunday, I can add 1 or 2 more during my week.
I am experimenting with the rest and need ideas on what would be best.
Goal at the moment is building strength, especially as I am recovering from an injury.
I have been exercising for years, but the last months I have changed my routine to exercising alone, so still struggling to get some balance an fit everything in, especially after stopping strength training for a while because od injury (dr's orders).
I am not looking for exercise ideas, more for when it would make more sense to do things. I have noticed that if I first walk/run then I tend to cut my strenght training sessions short, so combining the two does not work :(

Replies

• tradercourt1
    tradercourt1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do some HIT strength classes and have tried doing my walk/run beforehand some nights - my energy is a little too low for the class when I do that. However, if I do the strength first I am able to push through a follow up walk/run if I want to get the cardio in, and I dont see much of a difference in my time. Maybe try that order.
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are dealing with injuries....wonder if your MD could write a prescription for consultation with physical therapist. I wouldn't come here for advice due to your injuries. Wishing you the best of health!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to do weight lifting and cardio on the same day, you would do the weight lifting first (since your goal is strength gains) and then the cardio. However, the cardio intensity would most likely suffer just like your strength routine would if it went second.

Not knowing what your daily schedule is like and how much time you want to devote to weights, it’s hard for anyone to guide you. With a pre existing injury, this conversation might be better suited to your doctor as you also don’t want to do too much too soon and aggravate the injury further.