Dumbbells/weights for beginners

Options
I'm looking to buy some weights so I can do some simple exercises to tone my upper arms. I have no idea where to start.

Am I right in saying the lowest weight is generally 1kg, and that would be fine to start with? (Bearing in mind I have zero fitness).

Is there anything to look out for, or are all the different shapes just style/personal preference? I have never owned any weights in my life - hell, I don't think I've ever even picked any up. Please assume I'm 100% ignorant.

Thank you! :)

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    You can start by using household items, as basic fitness equipment is hard to find these days. Water bottles make good imitation dumbbells.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    save an empty milk jug/laundry detergent bottle and fill with water or sand - use at a kettlebell
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    1 kg dumbells are a waste of time and money. Unless you're very frail you'll outgrow them very quickly. Use the household items as suggested until you're ready for 10 pounds and above. Lifting weights is about progressive overload so you want to step up the weights so your muscles are challenged to get stronger. Otherwise you just THINK you're lifting.
    Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70GpsTPeNFs
    She explains things pretty well. You can start any of these exercises with water bottles, or jugs, and get serious weights when you progress.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    Another option would be to start with bodyweight program. There are multiple good beginner programs in the thread linked below, including bodyweight ones:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I strongly, strongly encourage you to use a full program, not just "tone upper arms". You will be happier with the appearance results, and help yourself avoid injury via imbalances. Trust me as an honest li'l ol' lady when I say this, too: Your future, older self will thank you for every bit of strength you build while younger, as it will give her a higher quality of life.

If you look at the thread linked, you can do some of the dumbbell programs with household items, too, i.e., the kinds of things people mention above, to start.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Am I right in saying the lowest weight is generally 1kg, and that would be fine to start with? (Bearing in mind I have zero fitness).

1kg for most people would be a complete waste of time. It's not a fitness issue but a strength issue.
    To progress you need to adequately stress your muscles and waving a tiny, tiny weight about isn't going to achieve that. A litre bottle of milk is 1kg and unless you find that taxing then 1kg weights aren't going to achieve anything.

Adjustable dumbbells can be a good option for home use rather than clutter up the house with multiple pairs of fixed dumbbells as your strength improves.

I agree that you would get a far better return on your time invested in training all of your body and not just arms, plus you are likely to get bored pretty quickly. Bodyweight exercises can be a great complement to home training with dumbbells.
  • cristiwinks
    cristiwinks Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I bought mine at Walmart... I started with 3 and used them for extra weight in my arm exercises. I then moved to 5 and have just recently bought 10.... but I got sick in-between and had a while off so now I am back with the 5. There was someone that said workout things are hard to find but I have not had that problem because it is so easy to search for things online as well. I wish you well in your start. Just think maybe in a year from now you will be looked upon as a fitness expert! Not just from knowing but from experience and it will show by your appearance! :)
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You can find used online if you really want weights. I suggest you go with the recommendation of body weight and items around the house for now. Why purchase dumbbells that you will either outgrow quickly OR decide that you hate lifting weights and you quit after a week??