I am struggling with self control with food

Options
i dont mind excersing but when it comes to controlling my food intake I have no self control....at all

what helps?

Replies

• gisem17
    gisem17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Neither do I. Whatever mechanism that is supposed to tell me when I'm full and should stop eating broke a long time ago. The best I can do now is measure out the portions that I budget for each food item. Put that much on my plate and when it's gone, don't go back for more.
    That covers meals, there are two other situations where I lose control. First is boredom eating. If I have nothing else to do, the pantry calls to me. Ironically, I am never so bored as when I'm entertained by the TV. I'm learning that if I can keep my hands busy, (video games, sketch pad, etc.) it help alieveate that.
    My last weakness is the carboholic binge. If I get a little bit of high carb junk in me, it triggers an insatiable craving for more. The best I can do here is know my trigger foods and avoid them.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    hilla1996 wrote: »
    i dont mind excersing but when it comes to controlling my food intake I have no self control....at all

what helps?

Do you mean you have very little self control when food is readily available or that you have no self control meaning you would go to a stranger's table at a restaurant and begin eating their food?

Controlling food intake starts with making sure you are eating enough food. You mentioned exercised are you eating back a portion of your exercise calories. Are you trying to lose at a rate appropriate to the amount of total weight you need to lose?

Another factor is being too restrictive. Are you cutting out treats that you could fit in your calorie budget? What I have found out is that we have a threshold of how often we can tolerate saying no to ourselves. Eventually we either say yes or we just we "check out" and let the autopilot do what it does best... eat.