Win today- dieting without restricting

Options
For context, I have a history of an ED in the past, so dieting can be really tricky for me, it's like walking a tightrope between overly restricting and binging/gaining weight. Well I've been tracking, and I ordered some fancy macarons which came today... Instead of either NOT eating them/hiding them, and instead of binging on them and ruining my hard work- I cut two in half, tried them and then shared the rest with my daughters.

It might seem like nothing, but it felt very powerful to be trying to lose weight while also eating something I would have considered off limits or "bad" before, OR I would have binged on. I also feel happy that I'm hopefully showing my daughter's how to enjoy food and eat in moderation. Anyway, I felt like that was a win today and wanted to share!!

Replies

• lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,503 Member
    Options
    That is awesome progress. You are so right about dieting and having an eating disorder. It feels some days like I am walking in a minefield. Keep up the hard work!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    It's good.

It's a fine line, though. Buying more than you need/want then watching others eat all of the rest of them. There are those with disordered eating patterns who eat by proxy. Watching others eat the things they buy or make for them. It is a thing. Some become obsessed with baking for others and then watch them eat it. Eating by proxy.

Next time, buy only one if you don 't think you're ready to handle the rest of the box. Just keep an eye on it because it's subtle. I used to watch the Triple D show, cooking channel. I watched Triple D eat every big bite of BBQ and all of that diner food. I was happy I could walk away at the end of the show with nothing to show for all of the eating. I was eating by proxy. That was my first go-around and I did eat it all back. Eating by proxy didn't help me out, not one iota. I don't really watch it anymore.
  • 14apfigley641
    14apfigley641 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great job. I hate dieted in the past, avoided all my favorite foods, lost weight, and then regained. This time I’m eating what I want. If I tell myself I can’t have Mexican food I’m just going to want it even more and binge on it later. Moderation is key. If I want to keep this weight off I need to be honest with myself and eat how I plan to after I lose the weight, just less of it. I’ve lost 13 pounds this month still eating all the yummy foods and it makes me want to keep going.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    We can learn to moderate ourselves with all foods.

I have relatives who like to drop off baked goods at my house or half-eaten boxes of chocolate. I only wanted one and thought you'd like to eat the rest of them. Not everyone has our best interests at heart. It's all very subtle.

The last time someone brought me their half-eaten box of chocolates multi-cr@p hit the fan. They thought it was funny and turned their phone on record. They played it for all of the rest of the family. I have to choose to forgive them but I no longer trust them. That ship has sailed.

This is serious business. Self-sabotage is difficult enough but when your own kin tries to sweep you off your feet with their food choices it's mind warp. This same person swirls her food around the plate and throws it into the trash, just likes to watch everyone eat at big dinners. I called her on the carpet about it, sure did. Anymore of her half-eaten baked goods/chocolates with bites out of most of them will be used for target practice. Bow and arrows.

• Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I definitely have relatives that will drop off a ton of food for us because they don't want to eat it, so I've been there. I guess I wasn't clear in my post, I had only two macarons, and I cut them up and shared them with my kids, so I'm pretty sure I'm good in terms of that!
  • Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Way to go Rae - I know how fine the line is when it comes to ED and maintaining a healthy relationship with food. I’m super happy for you and your victory..!! It’s exciting to see and experience that type of win and I wish you every success and continued joy in your journey, and that with witnessing your girls have a healthy relationship with food too. Nothing is more rewarding. x
  • Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Kait_Dee wrote: »
    Way to go Rae - I know how fine the line is when it comes to ED and maintaining a healthy relationship with food. I’m super happy for you and your victory..!! It’s exciting to see and experience that type of win and I wish you every success and continued joy in your journey, and that with witnessing your girls have a healthy relationship with food too. Nothing is more rewarding. x

Thank you so much!!!! My biggest motivation is to give them a good example of a healthy relationship with food and a healthy body image. So to enjoy a treat with them without guilt and without hiding anything was really empowering!
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    That's great. That is a win!