How much coffee do you drink and do you count it as part of your water intake?

Options

Replies

• ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Too much, and separate from water intake.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    A crap ton. No, its coffee so therefore it's not water.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Yes it counts. I do not track water intake but if I did, I wouldn't. I think that gets a little into the realm of minutia...
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't count coffee towards my water intake because its dehydrating. I have been trying to cut back on coffee so i have started to have decaf coffee instead.
  • TRI_39
    TRI_39 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yea it dehydrates so no
  • AlexiaC47
    AlexiaC47 Posts: 65 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I do not count coffee nor tea as water. I do count decaffeinated tea. I track water here, and used to on WW. When I don't track it, I don't drink enough.

As for "studies". You can find a study that says anything, and then a study that says the opposite, with any internet search. Unless a trained nutritionist advises me, I don't follow studies too much.

Studies say
    "drink/ don't drink more water"
    "eggs are bad/good/ok in moderation for cholesterol"
    "wine has health benefits/bad/wine ok in moderation/only one glass a day"
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 1/2 to 2 pots of decaf coffee every day (108 to 144 oz). That and a few glasses of decaf ice tea are my total liquid consumption. I see no reason to drink plain water beyond that. Coffee is made out of water. I feel well hydrated.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    I drink 1 1/2 to 2 pots of decaf coffee every day (108 to 144 oz). That and a few glasses of decaf ice tea are my total liquid consumption. I see no reason to drink plain water beyond that. Coffee is made out of water. I feel well hydrated.

If you are drinking decaf you have (as I understand it) removed the factor that makes the drink a diuretic and therefore it is hydrating you. The problem is the caffeine, which is why caffeinated soda is another potentially not very hydrating drink.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Yeah, beer is mostly water so I count that towards my water too.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The only thing that counts towards my water intake is water. I have a big jug by the sink or a water bottle to help me keep track of how much I'm drinking. Coffee is also a diuretic so I try to drink more decaff than caff.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,502 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I drink plenty of water and don't track it, nor would I bother tracking the water in coffee. However, I do have coffee creamer as a staple in my snacks column every day. You have to make sure to count those sort of hidden calories.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Consumption of water contributes to your hydration whether it is plain, in coffee, or in a stick of celery.

This^

Or in juice, tea, soda, beer, wine, hard liquor, soup, apples, oranges, peaches, apricots, cherries, berries, bananas, carrots, peas, squash, pumpkins, meat or whatever food and beverages that you eat and drink.

There are some animals in the desert that get ALL of their water from just eating seeds.

Ppl can't survive just eating seeds but the point is the same as the one made above - anything that you eat or drink that contains water in it contributes to your level of hydration.
  • gunderw59
    gunderw59 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have 3 to 5 cups plain black coffee each day. I do not count it toward my water intake. I only count water on that but I mainly just try to stay hydrated.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of coffee, and I drink a lot of water - refill a 1ltr bottle I keep at my desk at least 2 times a day. I don't track either, but am definitely well hydrated with the added bonus of getting up from my desk to walk to the toilet every half hour - breaks up the monotony of work and gets me moving, so winning on all sides!
  • GazelleLady
    GazelleLady Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 or 3 cups a day. I do not count it as water intake unless it is decaf because caffeine has a diuretic effect
  • GazelleLady
    GazelleLady Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    @L1zardQueen Words cannot describe the sheer joy I felt after reading the results of that study
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    @L1zardQueen Words cannot describe the sheer joy I felt after reading the results of that study

You are welcome❤️