How to add steps from.band to mfp?

Options
Hello everyone, I just got a xiaomi band 4 and I was wondering how I can put steps into MFP. I have connected the band with the Google fit and the fit with the mfp.
For example the band for today says 6060 steps and 102 cal burned, google fit says 6070 and 116 cal burned and when it syncs with the mfp it says 16 min jogging and 115 steps.
Why does it say jogging instead of walking, is it something I can change?
And how do I add the calories? I have set the activity level as sedentary, should I log the cal burned from walking each day or should I just leave it like it is?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You can't sync calorie info.

MFP already accounts for certain amount of calorie burn per day, like you selected Sedentary.
    You only want to add calories that go above and beyond that, be they exercise or daily activity over sedentary.
    Either has you burning more than sedentary, so when you take a deficit you'll eat more than if you were only sedentary.

Problem is the band may be starting with a different base.
    What is it saying you burned 116 cal on?
    Obviously you burned a whole lot more than than merely being alive, even if you didn't get out of bed.
    Is that the burn above BMR?
    Is that the burn above some sedentary base calorie burn they use?
    Is that calorie burn for all movement (which would be like BMR base then)?

If that was only above BMR, then you have not hit Sedentary level yet to have gone above and beyond yet.
    And if it was above - how many calories given to the jogging?
    If there was 116 - then you got it.

Yes you can change the workout - by creating another and deleting what synced.
    Seems a lot of work - you really going to use the MFP Exercise Diary for review that it matters?

Steps is merely a figure with nothing tied to it, like glasses of water. Don't even bother associating it or trying to make sense with it and anything else.

And you said MFP was made aware of some steps - sounds like either Google Fit is attempting to figure out how many above sedentary, or MFP is because this isn't a normal true sync.
    So all those steps didn't push you out of sedentary very far.

But indeed - no way to correct that.

I have no idea - but you might see if you can disconnect that link to Google Fit for now.
    Sync to MFP app called Pacer, and see if Pacer will link with that band or band app.
    Some of those bands have multiple apps besides the manufacturer that sync with them to get the data, 1 may sync with Pacer.

Pacer is better at sending correct info to MFP usually.
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    You can't sync calorie info.

MFP already accounts for certain amount of calorie burn per day, like you selected Sedentary.
    You only want to add calories that go above and beyond that, be they exercise or daily activity over sedentary.
    Either has you burning more than sedentary, so when you take a deficit you'll eat more than if you were only sedentary.

Problem is the band may be starting with a different base.
    What is it saying you burned 116 cal on?
    Obviously you burned a whole lot more than than merely being alive, even if you didn't get out of bed.
    Is that the burn above BMR?
    Is that the burn above some sedentary base calorie burn they use?
    Is that calorie burn for all movement (which would be like BMR base then)?

If that was only above BMR, then you have not hit Sedentary level yet to have gone above and beyond yet.
    And if it was above - how many calories given to the jogging?
    If there was 116 - then you got it.

Yes you can change the workout - by creating another and deleting what synced.
    Seems a lot of work - you really going to use the MFP Exercise Diary for review that it matters?

Steps is merely a figure with nothing tied to it, like glasses of water. Don't even bother associating it or trying to make sense with it and anything else.

And you said MFP was made aware of some steps - sounds like either Google Fit is attempting to figure out how many above sedentary, or MFP is because this isn't a normal true sync.
    So all those steps didn't push you out of sedentary very far.

But indeed - no way to correct that.

I have no idea - but you might see if you can disconnect that link to Google Fit for now.
    Sync to MFP app called Pacer, and see if Pacer will link with that band or band app.
    Some of those bands have multiple apps besides the manufacturer that sync with them to get the data, 1 may sync with Pacer.

Pacer is better at sending correct info to MFP usually.

Thank you so much!
    That day it synced about right, but for example the next day i had 12000 steps and nothing was added even though it synced the day after that with 10000 steps.
    Should i disconnect the two and just add a sum of calories?
    The sedentary level is about 3500 steps right?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Extra calories burned is based on distance and pace and mass.

Steps is merely a way to get a distance.
    As such sedentary starts topping out around 3000 - 5000 steps depending on the distance that takes you.
    There is no close "X steps = Y calories" formula. There are ranges that seem to apply to activity levels.

What you should do is see if the band app, or another, will give you a total daily calorie burn.
    1 I used showed the extra like you are saying, but I could find what it was using as base burn that was added to.
    So a spreadsheet with base burn and daily extra, and I had daily burn.

Do a 3 week running avg of that for normal days (not the sick in bed all day, not the super busy moving friends all day) - and there's your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).

Subtract the reasonable deficit for amount of weight left to lose to healthy weight, maybe 250, maybe 500, ect.
    On MFP Goal settings manually set your eating goal to that deficit. Eat the same daily. called the TDEE method, tweaking MFP to work with it. Don't log workouts.
    Each week pull a new daily avg, if enough to change eating goal do it.
    App report may even give this.

Or

If you find the band is using BMR as the base, and it is close to the Mifflin BMR that MFP uses, you got the same foundation.

BMR x 1.25 is Sedentary level burn. (say 1600 x 1.25 = 2000)
    BMR x 0.25 is the amount you need minimum to go above sedentary. (say that 400)
    When your device says your daily burn is over 400 (say 600), that extra is what is logged as some workout manually created called adjustment (200 in this example).
    If you only burned say 300, you'd make that a negative 100 workout (which you used to be able to do).

You'd be doing that daily though.

So you have a weekly or bi-weekly method, or potentially a daily method.

Pick which seems easier to keep doing.