No period? NOT PREGNANT! When to go to doctor?

Options
2»

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    gotta love the amount of medical experts on MFP lol

grain of salt with anything you read on these forums OP
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Stress can cause you to miss it.

As for it's URGENT...... since when? 2 missed periods is urgent. I missed 4 in a row & turned out it was being stressed without knowing it.

Yeah missing it will screw up your metabolism :noway: in about a million years. As for being told eat more because you missed it :noway: huh?

I wonder how some women function.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Stress can cause you to miss it.

As for it's URGENT...... since when? 2 missed periods is urgent. I missed 4 in a row & turned out it was being stressed without knowing it.

Yeah missing it will screw up your metabolism :noway: in about a million years. As for being told eat more because you missed it :noway: huh?

I wonder how some women function.

I never missed one, except when I was pregnant. And my life was not stress free. Missing them CAN be a sign of something serious.

Missing one doesn't screw up your metabolism, but a screwed up metabolism can be one of the causes. That is probably not the case here, but we don't know. We're not doctors and we don't know enough about the OP to tell even if we were.

"If a woman is not pregnant, a missed menstrual period may be due to a wide variety of both physical and emotional conditions that range from lifestyle stress to rare and serious diseases. Many of the conditions that underlie missed menstrual periods interfere with the body's hormonal balance."

If it IS something serious, you would want to know sooner rather than later, so any treatment could be started early.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    another MFP thread asking for medical advice...LOL...Based on the threads/responses I have seen on MFP medical advice is the last thing I would ask about ....
  • Klarini
    Klarini Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You need to consider what is normal for YOU. If you only missed period for one month before then missing it for two consecutive months (so far) is not normal for you. Therefore, I would go see my doctor.
    You lost a significant amount of weight and fat cells have impact on reproductive hormones, so the diet can cause hormonal imbalance. It doesn't even have to be a rapid weight loss.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options

marjiboo - I understand your periods are irregular, but you really shouldn't be telling someone who stated that they have never missed a consecutive period that there is no cause for major alarm, unless you are a doctor. Not trying to be mean or a b*tch here. I just think we all should be careful of the advice we give out, especially relating to medical concerns.

Totally agree. My apologies. I was just sharing my own experience. Didn't mean to give advice! Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go if I don't get it by the end of the month. I guess I want some reassurance that nothing seriously is wrong.

You want strangers on the Internet to reassure you about a medical issue....?
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a period in 2 months, and there is NO (read dry spell!) way I am pregnant. I have never missed consecutive periods before, but I have missed one on occasion due to illness or stress in my life. I think it is somehow connected to my weight loss, but I am no were near the body fat percentage that you are supposed to loose your periods. My friends are telling me not to be concerned, but I am a bit. However, I have lost close to 100lbs and they say that might have something to do with it.

I've had a little glance at your diary and it seems that you frequently eat UNDER 1000 calories. If you have been doing this for a while then I'm not surprised your periods have stopped. Your body only works properly when it's healthy and fuelled well. Your periods stopping is a significant sign that something is out of balance. Your hormones are kinda temperamental. If your nutrition is off kilter or you're under eating all the time, it affects your hormonal balance which in turn ... effects things governed by hormones... such as your periods.

So yes... see a doctor... and eat.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Your period stopping is your body's way of say "HEY, wait a minute, something is wrong with me! I can't and don't have the capability to make children and this is me warning you something is not right!"

You need to go to your doctor NOW! Not at the end of the month.